Bubonicon update (no show spoilers/discussion)

JonCon's Red Beard

The whole "but he maybe meant no one" I don't buy it. He looks like a man who, despite his cryptic evasions, means what he says.

I'm in general agreement and I have been thinking about adjusting my "Vegas Odds for Last Ass on IT", which gave 9:1 for "Nobody/No IT". 

But he could have meant "no one", which means there should still be a possibility, and people still seem to think it, and would probably put money on it, so more power to the book (ME!).  Will probably readjust to anywhere from 19:1 to 50:1. 

Thanks for No Show spoilers.  I didn't watch Season 5 because I don't want to be spoiled, and people havn't been able to stop talking about crap that happened on the show. 

The bit about the Iron Throne, I think it isn't really new. It's just a few weeks or months ago I've seen this claim that GRRM said that he knows who'll sit at the IT in the end (and therefore implied, it'll exist) appear elsewhere on the board. IIRC someone even sourced it.

So yes, it probably isn't a misinterpretation.

Well, most clearly doesn't mean every theory I believe in (come on SanSan).  But it clearly applies to the ones I don't (looks at most of the forum)

I think it applies to theories such as Rhaegar's rubies or how everytime a character drinks something it's because s/he's lying. Those are harmless and maybe they decipher what GRRM puts in his books without actually noticing, but that's it. He's not doing it in purpose.

Some other seem to be a bit more obvious. Lem=Richard Lonmouth, for instance.

I think it applies to theories such as Rhaegar's rubies or how everytime a character drinks something it's because s/he's lying. Those are harmless and maybe they decipher what GRRM puts in his books without actually noticing, but that's it. He's not doing it in purpose.

Some other seem to be a bit more obvious. Lem=Richard Lonmouth, for instance.

I was thinking "eyes like brown mud," or "lemon," or Mance and Rhaegar similarities, or Euron/Daario, or Ser Pounce is Azor Ahai (I know that one is facetious, but you get my point).

Of course, the trick is picking out which one is "erroneous" and which ones are intended.  People who put stock in "eyes like brown mud" will defend that one being correct to the death, whereas others will attack to the death with it being erroneous.

I was thinking "eyes like brown mud," or "lemon," or Mance and Rhaegar similarities, or Euron/Daario, or Ser Pounce is Azor Ahai (I know that one is facetious, but you get my point).

Of course, the trick is picking out which one is "erroneous" and which ones are intended.  People who put stock in "eyes like brown mud" will defend that one being correct to the death, whereas others will attack to the death with it being erroneous.

Those are like that one time someone stated a "Euron is not Daario" thread. People was like "was opening a thread was even necessary?". Ditto. He doesn't even need to explain it.

I AM WRITING BOTH LAST BOOKS RIGHT NOW

GUYS GUYS WHAT IF HE'S GOING PUBLISH THE LAST TWO BOOKS AT THE SAME TME? 

OH AND DID HE JUST SAY "BOTH LAST BOOKS" ?  THAT MEANS THERE WILL BE ONLY 7 BOOKS,  no eight books. 

GUYS GUYS WHAT IF HE'S GOING PUBLISH THE LAST TWO BOOKS AT THE SAME TME? 

OH AND DID HE JUST SAY "BOTH LAST BOOKS" ?  THAT MEANS THERE WILL BE ONLY 7 BOOKS,  no eight books. 

Yes, TWOW in the first half of 2025 and ADOS in the second half.

LETS NOT DERAIL

VELOCIRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPTOR!

Okay nut.  LOL.

I'm not  too thrilled with 'there is no system for magic' if that is really GRRM talking.  That's kind of bogus if you ask me, and I think it's always been assumed that there was a system and rules.

NOT EVERY DETAIL IS A CLUE MOST OF YOUR THEORIES ARE ERRONEOUS THEY ARE JUST WORDS

This should seriously pop up at least a few times when you click "Make new thread" button.

THERE IS NO SYSTEM TO THE MAGIC IN WESTEROS.

Well, down go several incredibly elaborate and detailed theories regarding ASOIAF's magic. On one hand, it's a pity because these theories were really a joy to read. On the other, I like the fantasy series where importance of magic is limited (at least compared to vast majority of other fantasy).

So JCRB and I came up with a solution to discussing the show-related points of the twitter feed.   I just cleaned up the show posts, so that the book-only points can continue to be discussed over here without derail.   JCRB will post a link in the OP to redirect the show discussion over to a thread over in the GoT section shortly.

thanks and carry on!

When GRRM says "there is no system to magic in Westeros", what does he mean by "system"?

We are told all Valyrian magic was based on blood and fire. We see the wizards of the Rhoyne doing water-based magic. We hear of stormsingers and aeromancers. We see a fire mage in Qarth doing tricks with fire, but we don't see him doing anything with wind, air, water, etc. The CotF call themselves Earth Singers.

There really does seem to be some sort of organization by elemental power. Is this a system, or not a system? Or does he just mean there is no set stuff users can do with their elemental power?

http://grrm.livejournal.com/440213.html?thread=22483861#t22483861

Hello George
In Bubonicon you said you were writing the two last books ("I am writing both last book right now" here: https://angrygotfan.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/angrygotfan-santa-fe.pdf).
Does that mean you've written a chapter of 'A Dream os spring'?

No.

And I don't believe I said that.

If I did, I misspoke.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/440213.html?thread=22480789#t22480789

Someone wrote that you were writing A DREAM OF SPRING alongside of THE WINDS OF WINTER, and that you had enough material for a "whole new book." (FIRE AND BLOOD?) And that characters dead in the show will survive to the end of the series.

To be honest, it sounded like a highly-exaggerated account of your talk at Bubonicon.

A number of characters dead in the show WILL survive in the books.

But not all.

So don't get complacent.

Archived