Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, 666

JonCon's Red Beard

Wow...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/54-pre-adwd-spoilers-tyrion-2-spoilers-for-adwd/?p=96942

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:44 AM
Ibsen, on Jan 12 2006, 07.55, said:

Could "Griff" be ser Jorah ? We have no physical depiction of him, but I think it is reasonable to suppose so.

Either he is someone we have never heard of, or he is the exiled Lord Connington, whose cousin we saw getting backhanded by Jaime for badmouthing the Maid of Tarth...

chavv, on Dec 2 2005, 09.21, said:

/offtopic
where can I read about this Ghis and wars with Valyria ?! can't remember such details ... :(

You can't as far as I know, except for what GRRM feeds us in the books. Maybe in the RPG that is floating about, or at Westeros.org...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/54-pre-adwd-spoilers-tyrion-2-spoilers-for-adwd/?p=112705

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:17 PM
How 'bout Griff is Ser Arthur Dayne, who was allowed to take Aegon (one of Ned's promises to Lyanna) and, with his sister Ashara, go across the sea? And Young Griff is Aegon Targaryen?

How bout them apples?

There was even a fAegon theory in 2006!

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/54-pre-adwd-spoilers-tyrion-2-spoilers-for-adwd/?p=340331

Posted 18 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

Mezeh, on Jun 18 2006, 03.04, said:snapback.png

And why Illirio think that the fact that “dragon has three heads†makes the difference?

The theory goes that young Griff is a fake Aegon. Illyrio has one of the heads of the dragon in his pocket.

I actively root for Tommen and Myrcella to die(those poor bastards)and I feel bad about it because I hate child murderers in the books. But I hate all things Lannister and want Cersei to suffer and them to lose their grip on the throne. Tommen and Myrcella dying will give me satisfaction, Im horrible. :-(

I actively root for Tommen and Myrcella to die(those poor bastards)and I feel bad about it because I hate child murderers in the books. But I hate all things Lannister and want Cersei to suffer and them to lose their grip on the throne. Tommen and Myrcella dying will give me satisfaction, Im horrible. :-(

One of my theories is that Griff kills one of them and in a very cruel way in revenge for Rhaenys... let's be horrible together because I WILL NOT stop liking Griff after he does.

Random thoughts.

I miss Lord Harys Hornwood. He seemed like a real bro. I feel bad his whole family went to shit because of tWotFK.

I think it's funny how quickly Lord Tywin runs with the whole mountain clans thing. They literally burst through the door and he's like "what up? even us western folk have heard of how badass you mountain clan guys are. want to team up?" Like Tyrion had not explained anything and Tywin is immediately on board with using them. It just makes me laugh lol.

I wish there was more POV characters exploring the red keep. Some of my favorite moments are when Arya is running around in AGOT, getting lost and discovering all this crazy shit. I don't care who it is, I just want more red keep shenanigans. 

I love, love, love how much Ned cares about kids. It's not something that he is shouting from rooftops, but so many of his decisions are based around his genuine love and care for children. He loves his kids, the Targ kids, even wants to save the Lannister twincest kids. I just really dig that Ned is so protective over children.

I feel like Jon Arryn might be the single most underrated character in the whole series. The man leads a rebellion, manages to bring about a successful peace after the said rebellion, maintains relative peace and prosperity for 15 years, and does it all while being a overall stand up guy. Props to Lord Arryn.

One of my theories is that Griff kills one of them and in a very cruel way in revenge for Rhaenys... let's be horrible together because I WILL NOT stop liking Griff after he does.

I think Myrcella will be betrothed to Aegon - I think Arianne will play Queenmaker 2.0 by introducing the idea of marriage to Aegon to Myrcella, not herself - and totally gets Jaehaera'd by JonCon.

ETA: Like the new avatar.  What's the story behind this one?  Is JonCon falling off or does Rhaegar push him?

Random thoughts.

I miss Lord Harys Hornwood. He seemed like a real bro. I feel bad his whole family went to shit because of tWotFK.

I think it's funny how quickly Lord Tywin runs with the whole mountain clans thing. They literally burst through the door and he's like "what up? even us western folk have heard of how badass you mountain clan guys are. want to team up?" Like Tyrion had not explained anything and Tywin is immediately on board with using them. It just makes me laugh lol.

I wish there was more POV characters exploring the red keep. Some of my favorite moments are when Arya is running around in AGOT, getting lost and discovering all this crazy shit. I don't care who it is, I just want more red keep shenanigans. 

I love, love, love how much Ned cares about kids. It's not something that he is shouting from rooftops, but so many of his decisions are based around his genuine love and care for children. He loves his kids, the Targ kids, even wants to save the Lannister twincest kids. I just really dig that Ned is so protective over children.

I feel like Jon Arryn might be the single most underrated character in the whole series. The man leads a rebellion, manages to bring about a successful peace after the said rebellion, maintains relative peace and prosperity for 15 years, and does it all while being a overall stand up guy. Props to Lord Arryn.

After RR, Oberyn and Doran were going to rebel again, claiming Viserys as their king.  Jon Arryn went to Dorne himself and talked them down.  Now that's a peacemaker.  I'd love a POV to recall that meeting.

After RR, Oberyn and Doran were going to rebel again, claiming Viserys as their king.  Jon Arryn went to Dorne himself and talked them down.  Now that's a peacemaker.  I'd love a POV to recall that meeting.

He didn't talk Dorne down. Dorne was pretending to be all ok about it.

I hate Jon Arryn and this hatred is totally irrational.

I hate him because he raised his banners against the Targs. I hate him because he was probably the main one to advocate for Robert to become king. I hate him because he suggested the Robert/Cersei marriage and I think he rewarded Tywin when he did that. I hate him because of Littlefinger. I hate him because I think Westeros was better off with the Targs and blame him for the rebellion. My hatred is totally irrational.

But I love House Arryn.

Come on, guys. Everything horrible leads back to Jon Arryn.

Littlefinger.
The Lannister/Baratheon alliance.
Telling Robert not to hunt down Viserys and Dany.
Failure to reveal the twincest.
Sweet Robin.

He's the phantom menace.

My hatred is totally irrational.

No, it's not. He's literally the worst. Next time you do a re-read count how many times someone says "I shouldnt have listened to Jon Arryn!" It's a very subtle running joke.

Come on, guys. Everything horrible leads back to Jon Arryn.

Littlefinger.
The Lannister/Baratheon alliance.
Telling Robert not to hunt down Viserys and Dany.
Failure to reveal the twincest.
Sweet Robin.

He's the phantom menace.

No, it's not. He's literally the worst. Next time you do a re-read count how many times someone says "I shouldnt have listened to Jon Arryn!" It's a very subtle running joke.

It does kinda remind me of Shakespeare's Henry VI. Henry is a man who only desires to do good, but his desire to do Christian good leads to wickedness, war, and regime collapse. 

I think a lot of complaints about Jon Arryn stem from reader hindsight. He had no clue that Littlefinger was a bond villain or that his wife wanted to kill him. The Lannister/Baratheon alliance would bring another great house into the fold that included Arryn, Stark, Tully, and Baratheon. House Lannister can act as a parry to house Tyrell, and as a source of income for the crown. Again, he had no way of knowing that Cersei would commit incest and treason. And him acting on that info sooner is reader hindsight at his worse. Robb shouldn't have married the Westerlyng girl while we're at it.

All in all, Jon did a pretty incredible job, given the circumstances. Pragmatic, decent, primarily focused on diplomacy and peace, Lord Arryn was a hip dude.

I want separate books about each regions, the great houses and their bannermen. I want a book about the North and stories like how the Manderlys came north and their oath to the Starks. I want to learn more about White Harbor and how it grew and the story of the Umbers and Starks uniting to take down the King beyond the Wall etc.

I find Westeros' history more exciting and interesting than TWot5Ks.

He didn't talk Dorne down. Dorne was pretending to be all ok about it.

Agreed. The Dornish are bidding their time.

I like Randyll Tarly twat that he is.

He does have a bit too much hatred.

I'm quite sure Arryn was all "I'm doing this Rebellion things for my babies!!!" when in fact, he also wanted something from it.

I feel like the story needs more Arryns. Like, I've got a fever and the only prescription is more Arryns.

As for Barristan's advice, you should get Quentyn.

Archived