Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

On 9/6/2016 at 10:23 PM, sperry said:

Who is saying the writer "sucks" for not writing fast enough?

Can I say that the writer sucks because instead of giving us a completed series, He published a 100 page meandering story about nothing that starred inanimate objects? He then hosted an online poll as to whether he should write his third book, or play Fallout 4. Fallout 4 won. Hell, if he would have just compromised with that one and written during the Fallout 4 load times, we could be finished with a second series by now.

On 9/7/2016 at 0:24 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Do you not read your own posts?

I have said I believe he has an obligation to make a good faith effort to finish his series. I have said that in my opinion he is not doing so, and also offered the explanation that like many of us would choose to do so, now that he has money he isn't particularly interested in working any longer.

7 minutes ago, sperry said:

I have said I believe he has an obligation to make a good faith effort to finish his series. I have said that in my opinion he is not doing so, and also offered the explanation that like many of us would choose to do so, now that he has money he isn't particularly interested in working any longer.

....sure sounds like you're saying he sucks.

14 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Can I say that the writer sucks because instead of giving us a completed series, He published a 100 page meandering story about nothing that starred inanimate objects? He then hosted an online poll as to whether he should write his third book, or play Fallout 4. Fallout 4 won. Hell, if he would have just compromised with that one and written during the Fallout 4 load times, we could be finished with a second series by now.

I enjoyed The Slow Regard of Silent Things.  I liked its experimental nature, I liked the fact that the story wasn't clear, I liked that it left much to the imagination of the reader.  Obviously, your milage on this will vary.  That said the aspect of the KKC that I've enjoyed the most is that it rewards deep thoughtful reading.  SROST has the same quality.  

You don't get that kind of complexity by quickly slapping together a story.

14 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

Can I say that the writer sucks because instead of giving us a completed series, He published a 100 page meandering story about nothing that starred inanimate objects? 

I prefer The Slow Regard of Silent Things (minus the self-congratulatory Afterword) to the main sequence of Kingkiller. Auri is a more interesting character than Kvothe.

I've said this before in other threads, but I find Patrick Rothfuss infuriating with regard to the way he has handled his social media presence during the delays of the third book. I used to follow him on Twitter and Facebook and whatnot, but it just got to be too much. It seemed to me like he was doing everything in the world, except writing the book

It reached a breaking point when he released that stupid novella, which I still have not read because it seemed like nothing but a blatant cash grab, since it was the fraction of the size of a novel, but he was charging the price of a regular novel.

So, yeah, I was a big fan of his at one point, but now I find him sorta loathsome.  

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

MrOJ,

I really enjoyed The Slow Regard of Silent Things.

That's cool. I'm glad. I just checked and if I wanted to read it today, it is going to cost me $8.99. For a 2-year-old novella that isn't even 200 pages long. That's just stupid and a blatant cash grab. It burned up the last bit of goodwill I had toward him. Fans want to read the next book, and while I agree that while he doesn't owe it to his fans; he shouldn't try to fleece them in the meantime by charging full novel price for a 170-page novella as they wait for the completion of the main story.

2 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

That's cool. I'm glad. I just checked and if I wanted to read it today, it is going to cost me $8.99. For a 2-year-old novella that isn't even 200 pages long. That's just stupid and a blatant cash grab. It burned up the last bit of goodwill I had toward him. Fans want to read the next book, and while I agree that while he doesn't owe it to his fans; he shouldn't try to fleece them in the meantime by charging full novel price for a 170-page novella as they wait for the completion of the main story.

No, it's not.  It was, as I said above $11.28 when I bought brand new in hardback.  Harback novels normally run $25.00.  That's a big discount on a hardback novel.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No, it's not.  It was, as I said above $11.28 when I bought brand new in hardback.  Harback novels normally run $25.00.  That's a big discount on a hardback novel.

I don't deal in paper. Only ebooks. And it has constantly been full novel priced. When it first came out, the ebook was $11 or $12. That's about the same price as a new release ebook. Today it's $9. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

MrOJ,

Then please start a new Paper v eBooks thread if you want to complain about pricing.  We've been over that a million times. And you are discounting quite a bit.  Further, your favored medium is not catching on as many believed it would.

It doesn't have anything to do with the format. Other authors (like Brandon Sanderson or James S.A. Corey) sell their novellas for $1-$3 in ebook form. Because, you know, it's not a novel; so you don't charge the same as a novel. But, Patrick Rothfuss, is charging triple that for his novella in ebook form. To me, that says he is gouging his fans, and that doesn't sit well with me.

18 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

What a dick.

That actually made me look to see what I could get for my 1st/1st non-Kvothe tNotW if I sold it. Looks like I be using the library for the first time since college for tDoS, because I'm not giving him another penny.

11 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

What a dick.

That actually made me look to see what I could get for my 1st/1st non-Kvothe tNotW if I sold it. Looks like I be using the library for the first time since college for tDoS, because I'm not giving him another penny.

That'll learn that evil slow writer!!!

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That'll learn that evil slow writer!!!

:rolleyes:

What can I do to learn him then? I'm certainly not going to support him financially. Fuck it, you've convinced me, I'm not even going to library the book, I'm just going to download it illegally. Thanks, Scot! :thumbsup:

Archived