Jessica Jones (Netflix) (non-spoiler thread)

The Wolves

Can't comment on AV Club but Rotten Tomatoes has JJ at 93% and Metacritic at 81%. Metacritic lists 30 positive reviews from critics and no negative reviews. RT has 50 positive and 4 negative. This is not a picture of a show that's 'getting hate'.

It's certainly not getting hate and was mostly well reviewed from most sources I read. But I think the general reaction seems to be a bit more mixed if you look at general public comments, on here as well.

i think a lot of it comes down to personal preference however, the show certainly didn't hit the notes I wanted it to, which is why I'd mark it down

It's certainly not getting hate and was mostly well reviewed from most sources I read. But I think the general reaction seems to be a bit more mixed if you look at general public comments, on here as well.

i think a lot of it comes down to personal preference however, the show certainly didn't hit the notes I wanted it to, which is why I'd mark it down

You do realise I can't read your posts without having the voice of OG Jon snow in my head now. It certainly gives your posts gravitas.

I think it's good that it is different from Daredevil (even if i prefer daredevil) as it means netflix and marvel are willing to reach out for wider audiences. I'm really hoping Iron Fist will lean a bit more towards "into the badlands" than "gritty crime show" in that sense.

I'm also happy we're getting Daredevil season 2 sooner than expected.

I was asking friends and family over Christmas want they thought of the show and Kilgrave seemed a hit with most of them. In general they were talking about the villains more than the protagonists.

So I watched another episode...

...with the foiled kidnaping of kingrave...

...and it again seemed to be better done when superpowers were not involved. In the fight scene, the more compelling one was the one between normal humans. I just don't think this show sustains, but it was pretty tight until the fight scene.

It's better when it's more of a detective show, and goes meh when it goes superhero. Maybe the lead actress just isn't that great at the action sequences? Or maybe her powers are just boring, like Superman? If kilgrave's powers were the only ones on display, I think it would sustain the tension more. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished it.

I watched the first episode very soon after it arrived and decided I'd watch the rest later. I wasn't overly keen on the first half of it but once it settles into its stride it is very good. I don't mind the pacing and the slow setting up - in fact I like that it tried to take its time to set everything up - but rather than slowness I felt the problem with the set-up was that it just wasn't particularly well done.

On the comparison with Daredevil, I think the two shows each do different things better and that's why we see so many declare a definite preference between them. The ideas are perhaps bigger and more complex in Jessica Jones and the way it races to its conclusion is better but in many ways DD was far better made and I would certainly argue more consistent. I would put them on a similar level overall.

It was nice to see Robin Weigert and Clarke Peters, even if Peters felt underused. Lester Freamon and 'Calamity' Jane Cannary are two of my favourite characters from TV shows.

I watched the first ep. Not bad but not feeling remotely compelled to watch further. The problem with doing a darker version of Veronica Mars, with an even more powerful central villain is that the season promises to be a tense, joyless grind and the villain will be menacing, almost defeated but then escape so there can be a second season.

It sounds predictable and not particularly enjoyable.

For me the problem was that Killgrave's powers were the most interesting element of the show. His ability to control anyone he wants, and what that means for his life and personality, the knock on effects of how he relates to people etc, thats what was different and worth exploring.  

Jessica's powers... completely meh, she can punch hard and maybe jump a bit.. So what. 

So to make Jessica interesting they had to make her story focussed on the effect Killgraves powers had on her, how she became a victim and how she dealt with it. For me, outside of that part of her story there wasn't a lot going on to really make me want to find out more about her, even if there was potential in her past to look at more interesting elements. 

8 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

For me the problem was that Killgrave's powers were the most interesting element of the show. His ability to control anyone he wants, and what that means for his life and personality, the knock on effects of how he relates to people etc, thats what was different and worth exploring.  

Jessica's powers... completely meh, she can punch hard and maybe jump a bit.. So what. 

So to make Jessica interesting they had to make her story focussed on the effect Killgraves powers had on her, how she became a victim and how she dealt with it. For me, outside of that part of her story there wasn't a lot going on to really make me want to find out more about her, even if there was potential in her past to look at more interesting elements. 

Jessica is interesting because she is a complex and relatable character and that's great to see for a leading female character. I'm not sure what your criticism is. The story in season one of JJ is all about her trying to exorcise her demons in relation to Kilgrave so it was obviously going to focus on that. Plus, we have had hints that something about the accident that killed her family is yet to be revealed - speaking as someone who knows absolutely nothing about the source material - so I imagine they will go deeper into that in season two.

Most of these stories have more interesting villains, you could make the exact same comment about Murdock and Fisk. What makes them interesting is the dynamic between the two. You would find that Kilgrave would be considerably less interesting without JJ.

Just now, Dolorous Gabe said:

Good point, thanks. I got carried away. I just deleted it because I'm not sure how to spoiler tag on the new layout.

I think it's the same as the old way [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] without the spacing. If this works then we'll know I'm right

Test

Archived