What happens to Jon Snow?

adiman83

If Jon dies and gets revived, what happens with his duty to the Watch? Is he relieved of his oath? The oath says: 

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death.

That would technically mean that his death (even if it is only temporary) cancels his oath. But that comes in conflict with the oath's closing statement:

I pledge my life and honour to the Night's Watch, for this night AND ALL NIGHTS TO COME.

That could mean that, even in death, he's still bound by it. So what happens if he does die and Mel revives him?

I pledge my life and honour to the Night's Watch, for this night AND ALL NIGHTS TO COME.

That could mean that, even in death, he's still bound by it. So what happens if he does die and Mel revives him?

I guess it depends on how he comes back, if he comes back.  If he comes back whole then he should be still bound by his oath.  But if he comes back as a zombie then he really isn't alive so he can no longer pledge his life to the Night's Watch.  Besides I doubt the Watch would want any zombies in their ranks anyway.

I see him pulling a Scarface from Half Baked. "F--- you. F--- you. F--- you. You're cool. And F--- you, I'm out."

LMFAO!

since we are quoting funny lines that work for this

Well I'm gonna go then. And I don't need any of this. I don't need this stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this.[picks up an ashtray]

let me tell you what is the point of Watch and what happened to Jon Snow. 

GRRM needs to let Jon Snow stay away from red wedding, so he sent him to the Wall. 

But now he needed him to come back to become a hero and kill Ramsey and also claim winterfell, so he made him die and escape the Watch in a decent way. 

And also GRRM did not want him to be responsible for the fall of Wall, which will be the fault of next Lord Commander. 

This is how a hero storyline works. 

Good things always happen to him. 

let me tell you what is the point of Watch and what happened to Jon Snow. 

GRRM needs to let Jon Snow stay away from red wedding, so he sent him to the Wall. 

But now he needed him to come back to become a hero and kill Ramsey and also claim winterfell, so he made him die and escape the Watch in a decent way. 

And also GRRM did not want him to be responsible for the fall of Wall, which will be the fault of next Lord Commander. 

This is how a hero storyline works. 

Good things always happen to him. 

Lol.  For your sake I really hope you don't believe any of this.  Yes good things always happen to Jon.  Losing a father, a brother, 3 mentors, having to kill a man he respects, breaking his vows to keep his vows, losing a woman he loved, and now the NW has tasked him with defending all of Westeros against things that were believed to be legend and nobody in the South believes him or trusts him so he gets no help.  He tries his best to juggle like 50 things with no good advisers, he doesn't know what the honor or right thing to do is.  Should he avenge his family? Is giving Stannis advice breaking NW neutrality? How can he form an alliance between the NW and the Wildlings? Lets not even get into his parentage and how this would affect him.  Man does Jon have it easy.

Lol.  For your sake I really hope you don't believe any of this.  Yes good things always happen to Jon.  Losing a father, a brother, 3 mentors, having to kill a man he respects, breaking his vows to keep his vows, losing a woman he loved, and now the NW has tasked him with defending all of Westeros against things that were believed to be legend and nobody in the South believes him or trusts him so he gets no help.  He tries his best to juggle like 50 things with no good advisers, he doesn't know what the honor or right thing to do is.  Should he avenge his family? Is giving Stannis advice breaking NW neutrality? How can he form an alliance between the NW and the Wildlings? Lets not even get into his parentage and how this would affect him.  Man does Jon have it easy.

Or...

Jon is chosen to live that hard life for a reason...

No doubt the boy had made the mistake of thinking that the Night’s Watch was made up of men like his uncle. If so, Yoren and his companions were a rude awakening. Tyrion felt sorry for the boy. He had chosen a hard lifeor perhaps he should say that a hard life had been chosen for him.

Prince Rhaegar’s prowess was unquestioned, but he seldom entered the lists. He never loved the song of swords the way that Robert did, or Jaime Lannister. It was something he had to do, a task the world had set him. He did it well, for he did everything well. That was his nature. But he took no joy in it. Men said that he loved his harp much better than his lance.

all these just made his life tough, but he can always survive and reborn, go to right place at right time. he is still the winner at every event and also the final winner of this book. 

Other people just simply died. 

For example, why grey wind needs to die too? 

Because jon snow will reborn through ghost. 

Then people will wonder why robb can not reborn with same protocol. 

So grey wind needs to die.

Robb too.  If he survived, there is no stage for jon snow. 

all these just made his life tough, but he can always survive and reborn, go to right place at right time. he is still the winner at every event and also the final winner of this book. 

Other people just simply died. 

For example, why grey wind needs to die too? 

Because jon snow will reborn through ghost. 

Then people will wonder why robb can not reborn with same protocol. 

So grey wind needs to die.

Robb too.  If he survived, there is no stage for jon snow. 

http://www.facepalm.de/images/facepalm.jpg

I read somewhere that the vows we have are not the original NW vows--that the vow was amended over the years. Perhaps there is an original vow that doesn't include lifetime membership.   Jon leaving the NW doesn't have to be about honor--it's about the hard choice.  I doubt there will be much peace at the Wall for anyone.    It's manned by a bunch of rapers, thieves and murderers--and now the Wall has Wildlings.   I expect that to be a game changer all the way around since they are the majority in residence.   Like those mysterious original vows, if there are no NW brothers left when Jon comes back and new management is Wildling management, what's to say they don't change the vows while they are the NW?   It isn't as though the Wildlings are without honor and they are warriors.  Personally I think a little kicking Bolton butt would be good PR for the NW.  

I think a lot of it will come down to the change in Jon when he either awakens from his coma or is resurrected, and what he wants to do. Those brothers who stabbed him were effectively de-selecting him from rule, but that does not mean that Jon has to leave.  He can stay and fight as LC of the Watch, punishing those who attacked him.  

The vow says "It shall not end until my death" - IF Jon has died and needs to be resurrected, his interpretation of the vow will be important. Does it mean a final death or a first one (if someone has been brought back to life)? And then there is the bit about "The shield that guards the realms of men" - this, for me, is the one vow that Jon sticks by to the letter through everything he does. What he may ultimately have to decide is whether he can best do that from inside or outside the Watch. If the answer is outside, I think Jon would see fighting the Others as a continuation of his vow of some sort, and not a complete deviation from it. 

and He becomes Putin of westeros and kill all ISIS and Baghdadi beyond the wall.

I'll take a step over the issues and point out that Jon cannot be Putin as Roose Bolton=Putin. You may think Roose is chillin behind the walls of Winterfell, but during the attack on Stanis, he's going to come out riding shirtless on the back of a grizzly.

Archived