College Football 2015-2016: Playoffs?!?! Edition

sperry

In a bizarre bit of pre national signing day coaching news... Louisville WR coach Lamar Thomas is leaving to take the same position at Kentucky.  :stunned: 

He has a reputation as a great recruiter in the south Florida area, so this is a major coup for the Wildcats.  (If he were to bring along a flip or two tomorrow, I'd be cool with that too.  :lol: )

18 hours ago, Rhom said:

In a bizarre bit of pre national signing day coaching news... Louisville WR coach Lamar Thomas is leaving to take the same position at Kentucky.  :stunned: 

He has a reputation as a great recruiter in the south Florida area, so this is a major coup for the Wildcats.  (If he were to bring along a flip or two tomorrow, I'd be cool with that too.  :lol: )

This made me all warm and fuzzy inside.  I wouldn't be sad if the 4-star kid came with him too, but I'm not holding my breath.  UK wins the off-season again! Eventually this will translate to actual success on the field, right?  Right? 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Looks like a pipe line from NJ to the University of Michigan is wide open. Three four star recruits so far and still awaiting the top ranked player coming out this year. Down to Mich and Clemson.

And he picks Michigan.  Harbaugh is in full swing.

Kentucky lands all of their committed players.  A big improvement from last year falling apart.  Now... if only this off season success can turn into in season success.  (Do we have a crossed fingers emoticon???)

• 2 months later...

Hah! I was just about to ask if anyone in here went to the spring games after Notre Dame's Blue & Gold game came on NBC Sports following the end of Premier League coverage. 

I went to Penn State's Blue/White game when I was in 1st or 2nd grade and we usually got a lot of customers for the Blue & Gold game when I worked at a cafe next to the ND campus. I recall the crowd having much more locals and much more young kids than a regular season game.

49 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

I went to Penn State's Blue/White game when I was in 1st or 2nd grade and we usually got a lot of customers for the Blue & Gold game when I worked at a cafe next to the ND campus. I recall the crowd having much more locals and much more young kids than a regular season game.

They're good family events for several reasons. Admission is usually free or very cheap ($10 or less), the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed (no swearing or beer-throwing), and there's often a player meet-and-greet or some other such event prior to the game itself. 

Good points. I totally forgot about the last one, even though my parents have pictures from the Penn State spring game of my sister and I, maybe 4 and 7 years old at the time, with PSU players. 

Yep, it's definitely a kid-friendly family atmosphere.  My boys (5 and 7) had a blast, and only made it to halftime before they were ready to go home (didn't mind, since the tickets were basically free),  and they have been talking Kentucky Football all day (woe to them).  They got to meet a few of the players, got some high fives during play, and just had an overall great time. It's a good family football event on the cheap to lure future generations into the pain and suffering that is Kentucky Football.

In retrospect, there should have been an army of cops at the gates arresting any parent bringing their children into that stadium today  :P

Was good bonding time with the boys

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Yikes!  

I don't really follow the draft, but I have to wonder if this was someone with a personal beef or just Starkvilleite...

Ole Miss is already under investigation, this can't be helpful.

Yeah... Everyone has been pointing fingers at Ole Miss for the last three years; this did nothing to help that perception.

2 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

Yikes!  

I don't really follow the draft, but I have to wonder if this was someone with a personal beef or just Starkvilleite...

Ole Miss is already under investigation, this can't be helpful.

Funny you mention Starkville, both Sixpackspeak and Elitedawgs crashed last night (supposedly for the first time ever) due to all the traffic. Never let it be said that State fans don't have their priorities straight. :lol:

Deadspin reports that someone contacted them weeks ago regarding the bong video. It stands to reason that the same person is behind the leaking of the $305 texts. Most believe it's the "stepfather" Lindsey Miller. I believe Miller is the source of the video and the texts but that someone else may have actually leaked the stuff. It will be interesting to watch unfold.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Yeah... Everyone has been pointing fingers at Ole Miss for the last three years; this did nothing to help that perception.

Certainly, it's a horrible look for a program that's already under scrutiny for understandable reasons. As a fan it goes without saying that this is not our finest hour as a program.

I am fully prepared for the possibility that some football staffer (John Miller, Barney Farrar, hell, maybe even Freeze himself) is providing cash to these kids under the table. I have no doubt that it goes on at most schools if not all of them, and if we got caught then I expect us to be slapped very hard for it. We are not Alabama and you better by-god believe that the NCAA will take great joy in reminding us of that, given the chance.

That said, what ESPN isn't going to tell you is that there is an NCAA-permitted vehicle for incidental student expenses. Our program "insiders" are saying that is what this stuff relates to. I'm not sure whether to believe that or not, but there it is.

6 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

That said, what ESPN isn't going to tell you is that there is an NCAA-permitted vehicle for incidental student expenses. Our program "insiders" are saying that is what this stuff relates to. I'm not sure whether to believe that or not, but there it is.

Hmmm I never knew that.  I would say the electric bill would certainly fall under the "other family expenses" category, and within the $500 limit... so small potatoes? (maybe?) 

After googling, I would definitely suspect Miller... he's suing the kid, filing the suit just a week before the draft.  Suspicious much?  

I hope you fucking rot in hell, JoePa.

He insisted that he "made it very clear" it was a sexual attack.

"I made it clear there were things done to me that I just can't believe could have been done to me and I couldn't escape. I said, 'I'm very upset and scared and I couldn't believe I let my guard down.' They listened to me. And then all hell broke loose.

"They were asking me my motive, why I would say this about someone who has done so many good things."

They accused him of making it up. "'Stop this right now! We'll call the authorities,'" he said they told him.

Victim A says he couldn't think. "I just wanted to get off the phone."

The men on the phone had introduced themselves as Jim and Joe, he said. He had no idea who Jim was, and can't, to this day, say for sure.

"There was no question in my mind who Joe was," he said. "I've heard that voice a million times. It was Joe Paterno."

• 3 weeks later...

In other scumbag coaching news, Art Briles is out at Baylor.  

I think most who have followed Baylor over the last 5 or 6 years had a feeling that something fishy was going on there.  

I hope the Briles thing, and what's currently going on at Ole Miss, is the flashpoint for some actual change in how college football has been operating lately.  I've griped here before about how embarrassing it is when your team is proven to be full of criminals, and the coaching staff/administration just enables them because there's so much money in it.  It's long-since ceased to be anything near 'amateur athletics', and they (everyone involved) need to figure out how to fix it.  It's a catch-22 almost though because there is so much money generated for the schools. some of which actually gets put back into the academics, but the salaries for coaches, building mega-stadiums, games every day of the week, a hundred bowl games, schools/conferences with their own tv deals, etc.  And because all that money is pouring in, and it needs to be there to feed itself, there's actual incentive for these places to cover up player crimes.  it's gross and becoming less and less enjoyable for me to follow.  And I have loved college football most of my life.

It's a pipe dream but I still wish the NFL would just create a real minor league.  Make the college teams full of scrubs/kids that want to play for school/team pride.  NFL is never giving up a free minor league though, and the colleges will never give up their gravy train.  I just hope they find some way to make it less disgusting.  

Archived