Football : The end of the year as we know it

kairparavel

Looking forward to the Liverpool game tonight. I thought Exeter played really well in the first match, but the whole Anfield-midweek-cup-game-thingy should be a little too much for them tonight.

ETA: I say should, but I've just seen Klopp's team. Should be interesting.

6 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Generally speaking, what level of club should a top premiership clubs youth reliably beat?

It's hard to say.

The best youngsters are often loaned out to Championship/League One (a very select few to struggling PL-sides), but when you compose a team of just young players, you'd expect them to lack both a bit of strength, leadership and tactical knowledge. If the team was purely youngsters, I would be very wary of testing them against League Two opponents. 

The team Liverpool sent out last night had many youngsters, but it also included experience in the form of Mignolet, Enrique, Allen, Ibe and Benteke - all of whom are or has been at least mid-table PL-standard.

The exception to the rule was Arsenal's youngsters some ten years back. That team was a joy to behold, and they nearly won the Carling Cup a couple of years. No other team has come close (though I'd expect that Chelsea, City, Arsenal and perhaps United have youth divisions capable of competing).

11 minutes ago, baxus said:

@Rorshach

Experience in the form of Ibe? :blink:

He's been playing on and off in the PL for nearly two years. That makes him experienced, at least compared to his team-mates. I never made the claim that he's got a lot of experience, but he does have PL experience, and he is at a mid-table level.

Lots of rumors I've seen today about Liverpool putting in a bid for Shaktars Alex Texiera. Don't know much about him except he's a creative attacking midfielder which is a position we have plenty of but if he is even a little competent at scoring he would be an improvement on Lallana.  

Coquelin is back in training a month early. That's huge. He won't be ready this week and probably not next, but Southampton on Feb 2nd seems like a good target which should give him enough time to get some form before Barcelona. 

20 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Coquelin is back in training a month early. That's huge. He won't be ready this week and probably not next, but Southampton on Feb 2nd seems like a good target which should give him enough time to get some form before Barcelona. 

That's brilliant news.

Archived