Football : The end of the year as we know it

kairparavel

Perez one disaster after another. Cheryshev, Benitez arrival, Carlo and this. 

They'll appeal like Barca did. Maybe they'll be able to sign players in the summer. In this case deals such as Pogba, Lewandowski or in general a top class striker and Hazard will be on the table. Navas is good enough for Real.

We, as fans, would, but Wenger has loyalty to players and it's clear he likes consistency of sides so Flamini/Arteta, due to being at Arsenal for awhile, might start ahead of him.

Yeah, the Arteta situation in particular is tricky. He's the captain but essentially a non-playing one. It may be that Wenger is happy for him to play more of a dressing room role to mentor more of the up and coming players (of which there are plenty), but that only works if Arteta himself is happy with it.

As for Flamini...he should be let go at the end of this season, especially if we have both Coquelin and Elneny for the holding midfielder position, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wenger gives him another deal. Although he hasn't used Flamini at fullback, he probably appreciates the versatility and veteran cover that he could offer with the annual Arsenal injury crises.

Utd must be relieved they can hang onto DeGea a bit longer.

Navas is good enough for Real.

Navas is more than good. Without him we wouldn't even be in top 4 this season.

But knowing Perez, he will definitely go for DDG.

BTW, the situation with Barca was different. They were informed before the summer transfer window, so they were able to suspend the appeal till Jan. But now in our case, I don't believe the appeal can be dragged till May. Also, Barca was the first of its kind case but in our case there is a precedent so it won't take as long.

We're totally screwed unless we aren't guilty(which I don't think is possible)

Navas is more than good. Without him we wouldn't even be in top 4 this season.

But knowing Perez, he will definitely go for DDG.

BTW, the situation with Barca was different. They were informed before the summer transfer window, so they were able to suspend the appeal till Jan. But now in our case, I don't believe the appeal can be dragged till May. Also, Barca was the first of its kind case but in our case there is a precedent so it won't take as long.

We're totally screwed unless we aren't guilty(which I don't think is possible)

I liked Navas even when was at Levante I think. He was impressive there, WC in Brazil was good from him also and then came Real. I rememer the game against Celta Vigo when he was playing out of his mind. Perez has this obsesssion with big names and if they are Spainsh...even better.

With the appeal. Don't the procedure, but Real will surely at least try it to postpone and make signings in the Junen or so. but yeah it will be interesting, if Perez makes any move in this transfer window where it's increasingly tough to get players for a decent price. He would have to overpay them like a mad man.

I liked Navas even when was at Levante I think. He was impressive there, WC in Brazil was good from him also and then came Real. I rememer the game against Celta Vigo when he was playing out of his mind. Perez has this obsesssion with big names and if they are Spainsh...even better.

With the appeal. Don't the procedure, but Real will surely at least try it to postpone and make signings in the Junen or so. but yeah it will be interesting, if Perez makes any move in this transfer window where it's increasingly tough to get players for a decent price. He would have to overpay them like a mad man.

Actually we ddon't need many signings, just a striker if Benzema leaves.

Yes, if he is stupid enough, he will go after a load of players in these two weeks.

Actually we ddon't need many signings, just a striker if Benzema leaves.

Yes, if he is stupid enough, he will go after a load of players in these two weeks.

It would be tough to find someone to replace Benzema even without this transfer ban. Any departure of that significancy is literally impossible thanks to this. I can understand why many Real fans are happy with this. Perez would then go on and sign bunch of a players which is right now exteremely tough to do. LIke you said, Real is not really in need for many players, but Perez is who he is.

Serie B launches ‘green card’ to promote fair play and change image of game.

Serie B is introducing a green card in an attempt to promote fair play in the Italian second division. The initiative will make its debut on Friday night in the Spezia v Bari game at the Stadio Alberto Picco.

The cards will be “virtual” as they will not be handed out during matches but every player can earn one by putting the ball out of play, assisting the referee or even admitting to diving in the penalty area.

Blah. What a load of cobblers. There's a much easier way to clean up the game. Demand that referees enforce the laws of the game, from the first minute of the match, to the last.

If they need to issue four or five red cards per match because of horrendous cheating, then so be it. Players will soon get the message.

Blah. What a load of cobblers. There's a much easier way to clean up the game. Demand that referees enforce the laws of the game, from the first minute of the match, to the last.

If they need to issue four or five red cards per match because of horrendous cheating, then so be it. Players will soon get the message.

From orange to green card.

First of all we need video. It won't take that much of a time(not more than rolling on the floor like somebody shot them and waisting time) and it would help in many situations. Everyone is using it, so why not football.

From orange to green card.

First of all we need video. It won't take that much of a time(not more than rolling on the floor like somebody shot them and waisting time) and it would help in many situations. Everyone is using it, so why not football.

Because football is run by a bunch of lizardly Luddites?

I think the FA is introducing some kind of replay system in next year's FA Cup. If so, it's a step in the right direction.

Because football is run by a bunch of lizardly Luddites?

I think the FA is introducing some kind of replay system in next year's FA Cup. If so, it's a step in the right direction.

Hahaha That might be it.

FA is certainly a bit more willing to do something about it, but it's still a too slow process. Blatter was always against it and sort of a biggest critic of it, but finally his word is no longer relevant in this. I hope things will change for future.

I mean, you can demand that. But can anyone actually deliver it?

In practise, it would be extremely difficult to actually do this. The immediate reaction, let's face it, would not be newfound respect for the laws of the game. It would be a 1000% increase in complaints about refereeing mistakes, inconsistencies and competence (from an already high base): mostly ill-informed and ill-founded, perhaps, but managers, players, and their good pals in the press would be howling loud and long. Everyone's in favour of enforcing the laws, of course they are! But these refs don't understand the game! And besides, this decision and that one and the other one were totally incorrect! How does it benefit the game to have all these unjustified red cards? It's madness! (Whether the decisions were actually correct and whether the laws of the game actually are what managers and pundits say they are would be something that people would pay little attention to - after all, they pay almost none to those questions now.)

And from there, the sponsors, the broadcasters and the clubs would simply kill such an effort. Quietly if they can, noisily if they must. The product would be harmed, profits would be at risk. End of story.

Yeah, maybe the football authorities could somehow weather that storm if they dug their heels in. But the one thing it wouldn't be is easy. You're mistaking 'simpler' for 'easier'.

I mean, you can demand that. But can anyone actually deliver it?

In practise, it would be extremely difficult to actually do this. The immediate reaction, let's face it, would not be newfound respect for the laws of the game. It would be a 1000% increase in complaints about refereeing mistakes, inconsistencies and competence (from an already high base): mostly ill-informed and ill-founded, perhaps, but managers, players, and their good pals in the press would be howling loud and long. Everyone's in favour of enforcing the laws, of course they are! But these refs don't understand the game! And besides, this decision and that one and the other one were totally incorrect! How does it benefit the game to have all these unjustified red cards? It's madness! (Whether the decisions were actually correct and whether the laws of the game actually are what managers and pundits say they are would be something that people would pay little attention to - after all, they pay almost none to those questions now.)

And from there, the sponsors, the broadcasters and the clubs would simply kill such an effort. Quietly if they can, noisily if they must. The product would be harmed, profits would be at risk. End of story.

Yeah, maybe the football authorities could somehow weather that storm if they dug their heels in. But the one thing it wouldn't be is easy. You're mistaking 'simpler' for 'easier'.

Difficult to disagree with any of that.

But with the introduction of video technology, a lot of these concerns will be alleviated. We all know how difficult it can be for refs in the heat of the moment. Having access to video replays would lead to correct decisions in the majority of cases. It's not perfect, but you only have to look at Rugby Union to see how effective the replay system is.

Football is the only sport I can think of where organized cheating is accepted as part of the game. For me, that's far more damaging to the product. And just because it might be difficult to clean up the game, does it mean we should not try?

ETA: And as for refereeing consistency, that would be very easy to implement. How many times do we see a clear yellow card offence, only for the card to remain in the ref's pocket because the offence took place very early in the game. Idiots like Robbie Savage somehow think this is good refereeing. It's really not. Because if a player thinks "There's a chance I might get away with this blatant foul 'cos the referee's a bit soft," there's more chance he will commit a foul. If they know they're going to get punished for each transgression, behaviour will change.

Archived