Winds update (not a blog)

TheLightning Lord

HBO bought the rights to the books back in 2006 and the show premiered in 2011. GRRM is terrible at deadlines and having a TV show based on your series is the ultimate deadline because they will eventually spoil things regardless of how much they might deter from the books.

J.K Rowling still had 3 books to go when the Harry Potter movies started coming out in 2001 and she finished them long before the movies for each book were out.

I thought about the Harry Potter situation compared to ASOIAF, but ultimately they are both different, JK's job was easier, she had one protagonist and one antagonist and the rest were supporting characters. GRRM has to deal with a lot of characters, almost everyone important to the plot, and they are all scattered.

:D my life as well

but I'm not writing the grandson or the great grand son of Kong. All I had to do was write the frekking report. I'm pretty sure my boss wouldn't except the dog ate it excuse.

I thought he was going to say his computer broke down and that his dog ate his extra hard drive. 

I disagree 100% that he's lost motivation. No way. That world is his baby. He's just in a rough spot.

It takes balls to do what he did last night. That was raw truth that he needed to get off his chest so he can move on. The biggest indicators is that he felt he needed only 3-5 months to finish, in May. At his writing pace.

He's saying to hell with the show and deadlines. That's healthy thinking. As depressing as it was to read his post, I feel extremely hopeful. He's not getting much work done, this spring, so I'm looking for a finish date in late August. 

On the plus side he does seem sort of close to finishing...

Hopefully Winds comes out sometime in 2016 at least.

He said quite a few times he was close to finishing ADWD; in some cases years before we got the July 2011 date.

So I'm not really buying his comment about the book being months away from completion. George even left himself an out by putting in "if the writing goes well". Knowing George's track record I'm not holding my breath on it going well, but who really know I suppose.

he's already said he won't allow another author to write in the ASOIAF universe until we're all dead. You may not like the show, but that's all you got, other than waiting on GRRM. The situation isn't gonna change, only how you decide to deal with it...

He said he wouldn't allow it while he was alive, and was talking as much about co-authoring and fan-fiction as he was about finishing the series.

In 2013, while speaking in Australia, Martin was asked about the possibility of another author finishing his works. His response? “Not while I’m alive.”

At least be honest at something: the show is a very poor replacement for the books. Seriously.

If people want to watch the show because they got tired of waiting, fine. But the show will only give us plot points, something like "Jon lives, Dany dies, Arya lives, Sansa dies", etc. They are only caring on getting to the point, no matter how much they have to force it.

If this is what you want, fine.

Me, I rather wait to have a real resolution that makes sense. It would be, for me, like settling down with an idiot just because I can't marry the guy I wanted :dunno:

That's a shame, never knew he has said that before.

I like the show and don;t care that it's overtaking the books, I just don't think he'll ever finish the books so we're better off having a skilled author writing it now with GRRM behind him rather than nothing really happening and him never finishing it.

it really is a shame. I like the show for what it is; the best chance we as a fanbase could have hoped for to see a visual representation of the world we loved was through a tv series with HBO. It wouldn't have even come close to working anywhere else. Not movies (too short), other networks (subject matter of books/budget), nothin... We need to realize as a fanbase that the book series is so ever expanding and vast due to his "Gardener" type approach to writing, and maybe for that very same reason is why we love it, but we could never have realistically expected a verbatim representation of ASOIAF on any screen, big or small; its simply just too big. 

Martin himself, being as though he's a professional writer should have know himself well enough to know how to tighten up his approach to writing more judiciously, but alas he didn't. Yes, it's possible to get X done, in Y amount of time, but when you fail to make the changes necessary to give yourself the best chance at such estimations or timelines you're failing yourself and the series. 

I'll watch the show, but I'll read the final books whenever they're done and I get around to it. When I did my last reread I powered through the books in less time than ever, and it made me realize how bad these waits have hurt the story to the average reader over time. Most haven't read these books as much, or as consecutively as myself, so like I said, for the average follower of the series that doesn't do rereads or only single reads as the books come out; I would assume it hurts the experience even more

At least be honest at something: the show is a very poor replacement for the books. Seriously.

If people want to watch the show because they got tired of waiting, fine. But the show will only give us plot points, something like "Jon lives, Dany dies, Arya lives, Sansa dies", etc. They are only caring on getting to the point, no matter how much they have to force it.

If this is what you want, fine.

Me, I rather wait to have a real resolution that makes sense. It would be, for me, like settling down with an idiot just because I can't marry the guy I wanted :dunno:

Except he told them all the twists as well. The show is more preferable than a meme on the internet.

Mmm ..and a one and a two and a  -

Life's a piece of shit

When you look at it

..La de dah de la de dah de dah...

Looking on the bright side, we can amuse ourselves by betting on the differences between what he show does and where we feel the books are going. I'd say we could make a drinking game of it , but we'd probably wind up being completely blotto at some point (if not suffering alcohol poisoning).

You can look at two paintings that use the same composition and colours, but one is done in a figurative style,with lots of detail and background pattern.. and one is abstract. The brushwork is different ,one is detailed, the other, not so much..etc.,etc. The abstract may even be an intentional homage to the figurative work. Both may be pleasing to the eye...In such a case, I'm probably always going to love the the detailed work more.

I honestly don't think I can feel too spoiled by the show. You can say the broad strokes are the same , or it hits the important beats, but for me it's important how or why the characters get from A to B.

Look at Sansa's show storyline. I think the changes caused to her journey outweigh the similarities maintained for Theon's... and neither character can get back to the journey the author designed for them.

Look at how we got to Jon's cliffhanger.. that involved such broad strokes, it's hardly the same story , to me.

Comparing the changes we know the show has made from the completed work, I can predict with absolute certainty that I will find the last two books more satisfying than the show, whenever we get them.

He said he wouldn't allow it while he was alive, and was talking as much about co-authoring and fan-fiction as he was about finishing the series.

I'm aware, and in the very same conversation he said Parris wouldn't allow it either. If anybody had the rights after his death, it would be her. 

Face it, he's not handing over the pen

...and let's try to skip the GRRM dying before penning the finale of the series thoughts. I don't think it's that serious per se, and a down the road issue, if at all. 

Except he told them all the twists as well. The show is more preferable than a meme on the internet.

They didn't use all of the twist that existed in the first 5 books and took quite a few less sensible ones of their own.

OK, but it's not the story I love.

This is just great. First GRRM says the book is nowhere near done, and now I just had to put down my dog of 16 years because some "vet" was too stupid and/or lazy to run an ultrasound and find her tumor in time and I'm crying my eyes off as I post this. 

Message received, God. This is gonna be a fucking terrible year. 

That's kinda the point I'm trying to make. He has told them what's happening and they will do that, but it has been obvious they don't really mind how to get there. And that's what it makes watching the show complicated because, for example, we know X will die (and that's an spoiler) but there is a high chance X dies in the most stupid idiotic simplistic forced way just because D&d know X will die.

So, on one hand, the show is safe because we don't have many things. Sansa's plot can't end the same even if Sansa ends up narratively and geographically in the same place as her book counterpart. OTOH, next season probably will reveal us what really happened in ToJ when Ned got there. :dunno:

Personally, I would love to know what the show will be: because so far we don't know how safe is to watch it or not. The fact Jon ends up King is, to me, a very mind spoiler. I don't want to know that, only how he got there, but at the same time, I don't want to know who survives certain battles.

Mmm ..and a one and a two and a  -

Life's a piece of shit

When you look at it

..La de dah de la de dah de dah...

Looking on the bright side, we can amuse ourselves by betting on the differences between what he show does and where we feel the books are going. I'd say we could make a drinking game of it , but we'd probably wind up being completely blotto at some point (if not suffering alcohol poisoning).

You can look at two paintings that use the same composition and colours, but one is done in a figurative style,with lots of detail and background pattern.. and one is abstract. The brushwork is different ,one is detailed, the other, not so much..etc.,etc. The abstract may even be an intentional homage to the figurative work. Both may be pleasing to the eye...In such a case, I'm probably always going to love the the detailed work more.

I honestly don't think I can feel too spoiled by the show. You can say the broad strokes are the same , or it hits the important beats, but for me it's important how or why the characters get from A to B.

Look at Sansa's show storyline. I think the changes caused to her journey outweigh the similarities maintained for Theon's... and neither character can get back to the journey the author designed for them.

Look at how we got to Jon's cliffhanger.. that involved such broad strokes, it's hardly the same story , to me.

Comparing the changes we know the show has made from the completed work, I can predict with absolute certainty that I will find the last two books more satisfying than the show, whenever we get them.

I would love the drinking game! Sadly through time difference, I always watch the show in the morning. 

And you are right about being spoiled by the show. The most important thing is not the twists but how A goes to B and that is almost always different.

The show also completely lacks the details which IMO makes the books so interesting. 

(And I love your painting metaphor)

This is just great. First GRRM says the book is nowhere near done, and now I just had to put down my dog of 16 years because some "vet" was too stupid and/or lazy to run an ultrasound and find her tumor in time and I'm crying my eyes off as I post this. 

Message received, God. This is gonna be a fucking terrible year. 

omg I'm so very sorry. This is far more important than GRRM's deadlines. It hurts to lose a dog like that. It doesn't help, but I'm crying for you; we had to euthanize our doggie last summer.

I disagree 100% that he's lost motivation. No way. That world is his baby. He's just in a rough spot.

No, that world is YOUR baby. Notice he devoted much more space to his other projects in his blog than he did TWOW. He's moved on. Time for the rest of us to follow suit. 

Archived