Underrated Actors and Actresses

TheMightyKC

59 minutes ago, Davrum said:

She's easily the best of the actors playing the Stark kids 

I like Sophie Turner, but this is clearly Maisie Williams.

Anyway, does Chris Evans still count? I mean, he got lots of exposure as Captain America obviously but even there it's rarely mentioned how comfortably he fits in a role that could easily have been a total disaster, and when he gets to do roles that actually require him to really act, he's always excellent. 

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Good Guy Garlan said:

I've heard some rumors that Sophie is pretty bad in X-Men, starting with an American accent that leaves much to be desired. But then again, that movie looks like crap and even Jennifer Schumer Lawrence is phoning it in big time. 

I think Kit was good in 7 Days in Hell. He's got decent comedic timing and good deadpan delivery. He should do a Tatum and start in an action comedy, he'd be good in that. 

Yes, the Tony Stark that could've been. He's so freaking great in Seven Psychopaths and even in the super lame The Way Way Back. 

You know who else is super underrated? Jake Johnson. He should've been the lead in Jurassic World and I will fight anyone who says otherwise in a raptor cage. I'm beyond sick of Chris Pratt - the male J-Law, to be honest - giving the same performance in everything. 

I loved The Way Way Back! I didn't think it was lame at all. But mostly why I loved it so much was because of Rockwell. But then again I love coming of age movies. He's so fucking hilarious in Galaxy Quest and Gentleman Broncos, superb in Moon and absolutely demented and horrifying in The Green Mile - he really is one of the best actors working at the moment. But actually now that you mention it outside of my friends and big movie fans I don't think he does get anywhere near the sort of recognition he deserves. 

On 1/27/2016 at 3:27 AM, Good Guy Garlan said:

I've heard some rumors that Sophie is pretty bad in X-Men, starting with an American accent that leaves much to be desired. But then again, that movie looks like crap and even Jennifer Schumer Lawrence is phoning it in big time. 

I think Kit was good in 7 Days in Hell. He's got decent comedic timing and good deadpan delivery. He should do a Tatum and start in an action comedy, he'd be good in that. 

Yes, the Tony Stark that could've been. He's so freaking great in Seven Psychopaths and even in the super lame The Way Way Back. 

You know who else is super underrated? Jake Johnson. He should've been the lead in Jurassic World and I will fight anyone who says otherwise in a raptor cage. I'm beyond sick of Chris Pratt - the male J-Law, to be honest - giving the same performance in everything. 

I've loved Chris Pratt since Parks & Rec so I can't go with you on the Chris-hate, but I can go with you on the Jake-love. New Girl is one of the funniest shows around lately and he's a huge part of that.

I also can go with you on the new X-Men films being kind of cack and under-serving their actors. Only Fassbender has come out of those movies impressing me, and he's Fassbender, so it's kind of not fair to compare him to the mortals who share the screen with him.

On 1/28/2016 at 5:23 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

I loved The Way Way Back! I didn't think it was lame at all. But mostly why I loved it so much was because of Rockwell. But then again I love coming of age movies. He's so fucking hilarious in Galaxy Quest and Gentleman Broncos, superb in Moon and absolutely demented and horrifying in The Green Mile - he really is one of the best actors working at the moment. But actually now that you mention it outside of my friends and big movie fans I don't think he does get anywhere near the sort of recognition he deserves. 

The guy can do no wrong in my eyes.

He's also great in the Ridley Scott conman movie Matchstick Men and as the goofy villain in the Charlie's Angels remake and as Zaphod Beeblebrox in the Hitchhiker's Guide movie everyone hates but I kind of enjoy. Love him in Seven Psychopaths and Choke too, even if neither movie as a whole really adds up to as much as I wanted them to.

Confessions is another top notch performance from him for sure.

Hitchiker's Guide is one of those properties so fiercely beloved as a book no film was ever going to do it justice in the eyes of a certain type of fan. Anytime it's brought up anywhere I go on The Internet someone can't help themselves from taking a swipe at it. Sure it's not the book, but then it never could be, so I just enjoy it for what it is, which is a fun enough romp if you enjoy some Martin Freeman and Sam Rockwell and Mos Def and Zooey Deschanel (who I actually wasn't a fan of at the time, but have grown to love because of New Girl).

Paxton's so good I almost watched an episode of Big Love once. Almost.

Colin Farrell is kind of underrated I guess. I remember he was going to be a Next Big Thing after Tigerland, but it never really took off for him to the extent the hype was prediciting. A lot of folks don't think he's much good, but when he's cast right - like in In Bruges - he's quite marvelous. I also seem to be one of the few who admits to liking Michael Mann's Miami Vice film, and Farrell is a big part of why.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Gonna repeat Bill Paxton was watching Aliens again last night and he's great hahaha. I love him in Near Dark as well. 

I finally found Near Dark on On Demand so I plan on watching this weekend, pretty excited.

Archived