Rickon in TWOW

Protector of Stokeworth

I think he'll be wilder than Arya and probably has some very wolffish tendencies.  He may require some taming!  I don't know how much story he can have age 5(?) other than being a pawn for others.  We may see more of him at the end as the future for Winterfell and the North - assuming Bran doesn't come back, he is the heir.  Having spent a lot of time with Osha, no doubt with her telling him tales of beyond he wall, he won't see the wildlings as something savage and different to himself, which is probably a good thing for the future of the north.

I think we'll see Rickon, and possibly Osha. He'll be a child and need protection, he's what? Six or seven by this time.

Every lord needs a heir and a spare, Rickon is the spare heir to Winterfell. Bran is a tree, and even if he makes it back and becomes the Lord of Winterfell, it's doubtful if he could father an heir, so Rickon is his heir, and then Rickon's possible sons.

Rickon will be a "wild wolf", one of the "wolfsblood" Starks, due to his harrowing early childhood experiences, so I'm a bit worried how everything will turn out.

11 minutes ago, farerb said:

I don't think Rickon will die. I think George intend for him to be the lord of Winterfell by the end.

I think that's a fate he's reserving for Jon Snow 

Rickon's wolf is literally named Shaggydog as in it's a Shaggydog story 

also Jon has that dream cutting off a Stark's head and screaming that he's the Lord of Winterfell 

I expect both him and Osha to show up at some point. If they stay at White Harbor under the protection of the Manderlys, I think they should be fine. Chances are, they are not going to do that, though, because that would hardly make for an exiting story.

My guess that they're going to end up in the middle of battle somehow, and there they might die. Or not. Rickon is basically a McGuffin at this point, not able to really influence the story on his own (due to being 6 or 7) and will definitively be in need of a regent to rule the North for him, if he is ever put in as Lord of Winterfell/KitN. So... depending on what Davos is going to do (he probably will bring Rickon to White Harbor, but what if he doesn't?) there's a number of ways this could go, really.

GRRM could have easily killed off Rickon a LONG time ago (or even not even created him in the first place).  But he hasn't...and that shows me that Rickon still has a major role to play in the final outcome of these books.  

The Rickon/Osha/Davos trio is a very important one if you look at it closely.  Rickon being found alive can instantly spark and unite The North together to fight against the Boltons.  Osha herself could help turn the Wildlings and have them join The Norths cause.  Davos has Stannis's ear...you can even possibly throw in Theon into the mix if he somehow can regain favor in the Iron Islands.

Rickon, IMO, is the first domino to fall in reuniting The North together.  Once he's been found, everything will start to fall into place and the battle for The North will finally take off.

I think Rickon will end up surviving to the end, simply because I don't think GRRM will be killing off any more Starks (and at the end of the day, ASOIAF is about the Stark kids).  I have no textual proof of this, just a gut feeling.

Rickon, IMO, is the first domino to fall in reuniting The North together.  Once he's been found, everything will start to fall into place and the battle for The North will finally take off.

That's actually really interesting. I'm pretty confident he'll be showing up in WoW with Davos on the way - although we all know that someone on a quest to find a Stark kid is not going to have an easy road... Or be successful.

3 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

Which, for me, is the exact reason why things won't work out that way. Maybe Rickon will be too savage to trust anyone besides Osha. Maybe Stannis dies before Davos' mission is completed. Maybe Osha dies and Rickon goes on a rampage. Maybe the Northern lords decide to further their own goals instead of listening to a child. GRRM loves setting the dominoes up only to send them flying in all directions, presumably while cackling at the top of his lungs.

3 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

I think Rickon will end up surviving to the end, simply because I don't think GRRM will be killing off any more Starks (and at the end of the day, ASOIAF is about the Stark kids).  I have no textual proof of this, just a gut feeling.

I disagree. I think we're going to have at least one more Stark child bite the dust. Winter must be more horrifying than anything that's come before it, or else why build it up so much? The Starks must be pushed to their very limits and they'll be fortunate because they're Starks. Everyone around them will be slaughtered and they'll only just barely manage to cling on and endure.

I predict Arya will die for sure. Bran will probably live, but he'll be forever trapped where he is, so most will consider him dead anyway. Sansa might very well die, as she's always been the least Stark-like of the children. Rickon might die too, for all I know. The only child of House Stark that I'm sure will live is ironically the only one that seems dead at the end of ADWD.

I predict Rickon's story will be a mish mash of The Lord of the Flies, The Heart of Darkness, and Where the Wild Things Are. (With a dash of Green Inferno thrown in there for good measure)

5 minutes ago, King Floki of the Ironborn said:

Which, for me, is the exact reason why things won't work out that way. Maybe Rickon will be too savage to trust anyone besides Osha. Maybe Stannis dies before Davos' mission is completed. Maybe Osha dies and Rickon goes on a rampage. Maybe the Northern lords decide to further their own goals instead of listening to a child. GRRM loves setting the dominoes up only to send them flying in all directions, presumably while cackling at the top of his lungs.

I tend to agree. However, I think Rickon's plotline is heavily dependent on Sansa's. Like, if Baelish's plan is meant to work and Sansa's going to head out North to claim Winterfell, then I think Rickon is suddenly not that relevant. But if Sansa's future storyline lies somewhere else, say, with Aegon, then I could see Rickon coming back to the fray. 

Here's a bit of an ugly spin on things. What if the Skagossi return with Rickon to enter the fray but instead of helping matters they turn at the last moment and go bat shit rebellion style crazy in a bid to overthrow the Starks like they have tried to loads of times before. Last time being around Barth's time as Lord. 

21 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

Here's a bit of an ugly spin on things. What if the Skagossi return with Rickon to enter the fray but instead of helping matters they turn at the last moment and go bat shit rebellion style crazy in a bid to overthrow the Starks like they have tried to loads of times before. Last time being around Barth's time as Lord. 

Why would they bother? The Starks are gone, except for Rickon, whom they have right in their hands. If they wanted to rebel and overthrow their hated enemies, all they could basically do, and all they would need to do, is kill the little child living among them. Why would they even bother to go to the mainland and cause chaos when nobody even cares about them?

We're definitely going to see Rickon & I think his presence is going to serve an important purpose, such as giving the North someone to rally around. As someone said above if he's just going to die or be irrelevant why include him in he story in the first place. I would believe the whole Shaggydog theory if Rickon were more involved in story so as to make the long winded story with no real purpose. But we get nothing from Rickon. No one even thinks about Rickon for almost two books. Brienne's arc in Feast is more of a Shaggydog than Rickon.

Plus I really have this hope that Rickon rides in on a unicorn with Shaggydog beside him kicking ass.

6 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

rickon might die by the next book same as Shireen and Tommen and Myrcella 

next book will be very child heir death heavy 

theres a happy thought haha

4 hours ago, SevasTra82 said:

GRRM could have easily killed off Rickon a LONG time ago (or even not even created him in the first place).  But he hasn't...and that shows me that Rickon still has a major role to play in the final outcome of these books.  

The Rickon/Osha/Davos trio is a very important one if you look at it closely.  Rickon being found alive can instantly spark and unite The North together to fight against the Boltons.  Osha herself could help turn the Wildlings and have them join The Norths cause.  Davos has Stannis's ear...you can even possibly throw in Theon into the mix if he somehow can regain favor in the Iron Islands.

I'm not sure if RIckon has a major role left to play but he must have something to do whether it is to provide a Skagosi army or eventually lead the North / control winterfell

I think that Rickon will reject Winterfell and refuse to return with Davos.  His time spent with Osha in Skagos will matter more to him than his family who all went and abandoned him (from his perspective).  Rickon will probably develop a love of the free-folk culture and be more likely to become the King Beyond the Wall than the Lord of Winterfell. 

Besides Sansa is being developed to be the Lady of Winterfell and so unless something goes wrong in her arc, she will be the best choice for that position.  And I think most would be disappointed if a character who hasn't been heard of since Clash of King suddenly takes control of Winterfell.  After all how many people would appreciate it if a similar thing happened to the Iron Throne.

22 minutes ago, King Floki of the Ironborn said:

Why would they bother? The Starks are gone, except for Rickon, whom they have right in their hands. If they wanted to rebel and overthrow their hated enemies, all they could basically do, and all they would need to do, is kill the little child living among them. Why would they even bother to go to the mainland and cause chaos when nobody even cares about them?

Who knows man :-). The Boltons have rebelled against starks for ages and ages and they actually went as far as to take the prize itself. Winterfell. Maybe the Skags have heard of the Disarray from Osha and see a prime opportunity to use Rickon to enter the Fray and take their "hated enemies" home for themselves like the Boltons did. 

Im not saying this will happen but it's possible. George will insert the Skagossi in some shape or form and I'm not sure if when he does they will play nice. 

6 minutes ago, Bran the Shipper said:

I think that Rickon will reject Winterfell and refuse to return with Davos.  His time spent with Osha in Skagos will matter more to him than his family who all went and abandoned him (from his perspective).  Rickon will probably develop a love of the free-folk culture and be more likely to become the King Beyond the Wall than the Lord of Winterfell. 

Besides Sansa is being developed to be the Lady of Winterfell and so unless something goes wrong in her arc, she will be the best choice for that position.  And I think most would be disappointed if a character who hasn't been heard of since Clash of King suddenly takes control of Winterfell.  After all how many people would appreciate it if a similar thing happened to the Iron Throne.

Keep in mind, Rickon is 4 years old.  I don't think he's old enough to grasp exactly what went on with his family as of yet.

Archived