Should the Mountain Clans get the Vale?

Lee-Sensei

Because nobles don't steal, rape or murder? People like Harlan Hunter and Lyn Corbray are just the very picture of morality and civility. 

I get what you're saying, but the pillaging ways of the Mountain Clans are a result of their seclusion. If anything, Tyrion's dealings with them showed that (some earless nobodies in King's Landing notwithstanding) the Clans are perfectly able to function in a traditional Westerosi society. Heck, in some ways they're even more civilized, by giving women the right to voice their thoughts about important matters. 

In fact, the height of irony was Tywin Lannister and the peasants of KL kicking the Mountain Clans out like animals when they behaved far better than anyone else in the city. I thought that was the sort of social commentary Martin was going for there. 

10 minutes ago, Sept Sev said:

I'd look at it the other way, not so much 'who deserves the Vale', but 'who does the Vale deserve'. And I would say the Royces' would bring the best rule given the current situation, so I hope they get it.

I agree.

Just now, Good Guy Garlan said:

Because nobles don't steal, rape or murder? People like Harlan Hunter and Lyn Corbray are just the very picture of morality and civility. 

I get what you're saying, but the pillaging ways of the Mountain Clans are a result of their seclusion. If anything, Tyrion's dealings with them showed that (some earless nobodies in King's Landing notwithstanding) the Clans are perfectly able to function in a traditional Westerosi society. Heck, in some ways they're even more civilized, by giving women the right to voice their thoughts about important matters. 

In fact, the height of irony was Tywin Lannister and the peasants of KL kicking the Mountain Clans out like animals when they behaved far better than anyone else in the city. I thought that was the sort of social commentary Martin was going for there. 

Do you use that same defense for the Ironborn? The Ironborn chose that life. Other First Men integrated quite well into Andal society. They chose to rape, steal and murder.

1 minute ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Do you use that same defense for the Ironborn? The Ironborn chose that life. Other First Men integrated quite well into Andal society. They chose to rape, steal and murder.

Quellon wanted them to reform, but stupid ass Balon threw all his efforts out the window and set them back in their same old pat. Hopefully Quellon's granddaughter will fix the mistakes of the useless bag of dickcheese Balon, but my point is that the Ironborn as a people don't get to choose, not really. Okay, sure they elected Euron as king, but by and large they're subjected to the whims of their rulers. The same goes for the Mountain Clans, they're reduced to act like savages because the Vale lords consider them as such. It's a vicious circle, but the ball is on the court of the Vale lords. They could contact the Clans, include them in their society, etc. 

You know, how Jon and Stannis are doing with the wildlings.

Just now, Good Guy Garlan said:

Quellon wanted them to reform, but stupid ass Balon threw all his efforts out the window and set them back in their same old pat. Hopefully Quellon's granddaughter will fix the mistakes of the useless bag of dickcheese Balon, but my point is that the Ironborn as a people don't get to choose, not really. Okay, sure they elected Euron as king, but by and large they're subjected to the whims of their rulers. The same goes for the Mountain Clans, they're reduced to act like savages because the Vale lords consider them as such. It's a vicious circle, but the ball is on the court of the Vale lords. They could contact the Clans, include them in their society, etc. 

You know, how Jon and Stannis are doing with the wildlings.

No. They act like savages, because they are. They've had over six thousand years to change. They've chosen to be raping, murdering, thieving savages. The lionazation of these yokels needs to stop.

Just now, Lee-Sensei said:

No. They act like savages, because they are. They've had over six thousand years to change. They've chosen to be raping, murdering, thieving savages. The lionazation of these yokels needs to stop.

There really hasnt been much advancement at all in the cultures in the series... some people believe the random seasons account for the lack of progress

56 minutes ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Some people believe that the First Men should take over the Vale from the Andals and rule it again since they did over six thousand years ago. I'm of the opinion that these thieving, murdering, raping savagesdon't deserve it.

I don’t have the app and I didn’t buy the coffee table book so my ideas are not skewed about what is written in the novels.

If in WoW, Martin expands on the Vale mountain clans, I would shake my head and think, here we go again, an expanding of the story, at that point I would put the book down and I would really, in all sincerity say this ASOIAF story is junk.

The clansmen that helped Tyrion have served their purpose. They have gone back to their mountains to do what they do. I don't see them having a major impact. What difference does it make if they are descendants of First Men or descendants of Andals.

Does Martin, as much I dislike the "foreshadow" bs that is espoused, make any reference in any of the books, that the  mountain clans of the Vale have any prominence in his story. I kinda think that the Vale story line is going to play out with LF somehow meeting his demise.

I joke around and make lame statement's sometimes, I read the board threads, see the flames, fall into the traps, but seriously, I thank you for giving me the chance to express my opinion.

12 minutes ago, True.Kitn902 said:

Why on earth should the mountain clans get the Vale? The Royces are the only option IMO and gods they deserve it. 

The op didn't mention mention Vale mountain clan's. It's a carry over from a disagreement on another thread.

2 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Some people believe that the First Men should take over the Vale from the Andals and rule it again since they did over six thousand years ago. I'm of the opinion that these thieving, murdering, raping savagesdon't deserve it.

Archived