Jackson, not Hamilton to be replaced on US Currency

Ser Scot A Ellison

I'd have resurrected my old thread but it is now "archived".  It appears the Treasury has changed their mind on changing the figurehead on the $10.00 bill.  The Old Possum is to be replaced instead:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2016/0419/It-looks-like-Hamilton-saved-the-10-bill-but-at-what-cost

:)

I could see it being Sacagawea.

I'm not saying she'd be the best option, but it would keep up the tradition of having most of our paper money faces also be coin money faces.

21 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Here's hoping they speed the process up a bit.  And I'm glad the Ten is staying.  I like the orange color...Update the damn One while you're at it!

I assume by "update" you mean "abolish"? :)

23 minutes ago, Altherion said:

That makes a lot more sense. Jackson never liked central banks or paper currency so it's weird to have his face on Federal Reserve notes.

It's literally the only justification for keeping Jackson on the notes - the knowledge that the bastard would be rolling in his grave at the thought of it.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sologdin,

Absolutely not.  Chairman Mao's fourth wife Jiang Quig is the only possible replacement for the Old Possum.  Sure she didn't live in the US and wasn't a citizen but why let that get in the way?

Even better. Preempt the Canucks and put Laura Secord  on the 20 dollar bill. Or her cow.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I could see it being Sacagawea.

I'm not saying she'd be the best option, but it would keep up the tradition of having most of our paper money faces also be coin money faces.

That's not a bad choice, but it's not the best choice either. Although it would be symbolic replacing a racist murdering a-hole with a Native American. 

If they didn't have to be dead I'd say the best choice is Sandra Day O'Connor. Susan B. Anthony is another decent choice. If it were up to me to put a woman on it I'd pick Joan Jett, though

no need for portraits of actual persons, as though there weren't enough lionizing of slaveowners and other losers already.  singling out anyone for individual recognition is kinda silly, and it is somewhat a dubious distinction to have one's face assimilated to an imperial currency; i'm not sure that feminists and abolitionists should celebrate it.

if currency needs to be gendered, however, the mint can by contrast pop some generalized external genitalia on the obverse and reverse, alternating with each note and coin so that the external genitalia so facilely gendered male aren't always on the front, say.  

probably would further need to make the genital images distinct on different denominations, so as to forestall the european criticism that the US notes lack color-coding and are therefore confusing.  maybe an extra big cock on the $20, to replace jackson.  a well-manicured vulvar image (shouldn't the term be vulvacured, incidentally?) on the $100.  and so on.

Frances Perkins.

Most important women in US politics in the 20th century in terms of impact, played a massive role in setting up and defining the New Deal, life-long social activist, first female Cabinet member in US history.

And of course there's extra pleasure from knowing that Andrew Jackson would have loathed the reforms that Perkins pushed for.

Archived