Mel Sleeps [Book Spoilers]

Durran Durrandon

Maybe now it seems almost obvious that Melisandre should (and will) somehow trade her life for Jon’s. But do you remember this scene from Season 3 where she pays the Brotherhood to take Gendry with her and says to enraged Arya: “We shall meet again” or something like that?    – Found it. It’s Ep 3-06 (The Climb):

A r y a. You're a witch. You're going to hurt him.

M e l i s a n d r e. I see a darkness in you. And in that darkness, eyes staring back at me – brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes. Eyes you'll shut forever. We will meet again.

(Of course there’s no such scene in the books. But there’s no Edric Storm in the show.)

And Arya is still very far from the Wall. So Mel is relatively safe (for now)?

Though now we see that not all her prophecies and visions do come true.

But their second meeting would be interesting.

(After reading more topics.) Of course wise people here have already mentioned that. The question is, do the show-writers keep this scene in mind?

I think she is preparing for Jon. She realized just before she fled Stannis that she has been wrong all along. Finding Jon dead was a challenge for her, but she knows she saw him in the flames fighting at Winterfell. She still must admit that her interpretation has been wrong from the beginning (in trailer). I think when she is looking at Jon's body, she realizes (decides) what she must do, and the scene we get at the end is her preparing for that. So far the quotes used in the trailers that found themselves into this episode were kind of misleading to me and didn't quite pack the punch the had in the trailers. The bit of her telling someone (Davos?) that she has been wrong all along I suspect will be included as she is telling them who Jon is just before she resurrects him. I could be completely wrong though. I wrote a better post but site crashed.

I'm with others who've said the resting in a bed is a sign of weariness, but I don't believe she'll stay old and in that bed forever. It's probably like what Thoros of Myr told her several seasons ago, about being at his lowest point where he didn't believe in anything until the miracle of Beric's resurrection happened the first time. Mel's so low right now, the only way forward is up. 

6 hours ago, sarah.jenice said:

And not just getting into bed but covering up. Was she actually cold, too? Running low on the Lord's fire I suppose. 

@Durran Durrandon You're right about the kiss being last rights. I'm starting to wonder what's going to inspire her to try to revive Jon. I've always been a proponent of a Mel-free revival for Jon in the books, but that hasn't seemed likely for the show. At this point, will she trust a vision from the flames that shows her Jon is AAR? Could Bran spell it out for her in a vision? 

Yeah, agreed with the first part. She is running low on her "fire" and is at her lowest point, almost completely giving up on her faith to a point. Interesting note (that I'm sure others pointed out in other threads), Thoros tells Mel that he was at his lowest point and stopped believing in R'hllor when he brought back Beric. He said the words almost as an afterthought not thinking at all about him coming back. Now all the sudden Mel is shown at her lowest point? Hmmm.

i would rather Mel not bring Jon back either, unless she sacrifices herself to bring him back. If just just gives him the kiss ala Beric then I think future scenes will lose a lot of impact because viewers will think, well even if Jon dies Mel came bring him back again.

when Mel said that to Arya about seeing her again, I wonder if the producers were still thinking they were going to go the Jeyne Poole route, and technically that would give Mel a reason to say that (even if it was a misinterpretation). Now that they didn't go that route, there's no reason for her to have said it unless she does indeed see her again. Which means that it probably wouldn't be Mel that brings him back (unless they just forget about the line which would stink).

People keep saying how Mel's story is not yet over.  I think it's definitely time to end the Mel/Stannis plot. Someone please explain to me though how she marches to WF with Jon and the wildlings after she burned Mance?  Or are D&D just gonna have the wildlings ignore that fact like Davos so easily has forgotten about Shireen???  That's terrible story telling. Mel's story has run its course. Only her redemption if there is one is left. I'm hoping for the wildlings to strap her to Jon's funeral pyre. (I fear ghost will leap into the flames to be with his master. Hope not though).  Jon will rise from the ashes from the blood sacrifices. She'll go out strong though. Embracing the flames without fear and regaining her faith. And as far as her Bolton flags burning at winterfell and meeting Arya again visions, I think she mistook herself for another red head who happens to be in the north at the moment...  Sansa will be the one to fulfill those visions. 

Also, after the Dornish fiasco and D&D saying there's only 13 hours remaining after this season, it's clear that production of the show is getting expensive and it's time to start trimming down the cast. I'm expecting many semi minor/major characters to die this season.  Doran was the first and the watch mutineers & Mel will probably be the next.  Man on the bridge to nowhere doesn't have long either. 

15 hours ago, Valandil said:

I thought something similar i.e. that the stone is a repository for power of some sort and she's filling it with her "life essence" or youth energy in order to help revive Jon. Side effect being she is aged terribly, until she recharges by some means, no doubt unpleasant. I think its the film makers putting in a red herring. That is, you think Mel's giving up when really she's just preparing for her most impressive and energy costly miracle yet

Kings blood. Makes me wonder who else near the wall has kings blood (except Jon Snow).

Mance - Dead / Stannis - (Mostly dead) / Theon - may serve a larger purpose / 

There is this pic that red team review has which is possible a major spoiler (view at your own peril)

Spoiler

Little underwhelming !!!!

Clearly the stone glows in a similar manner as we have discussed.

Though something tells me that it wont be enough and not as easily done. It will need kings blood to power her revival and continue to let Jon and/or her sustain. 

21 hours ago, Valandil said:

Pretty sure their setting up for the revival of Jon by Mel. She says "I saw him fighting at Winterfell in the flames", followed by long period of introspection staring into the fire, reaches a decision, has one last look at her epic tits, puts all energy into her choker and gets some rest for the big show, which may take her life, but if she believes Jon now to be Azor Ahai in the absence of Stannis, then she may be willing to pay this price. She's not giving up

But the way she said that suggests that she was wrong about that as well. Right now she's having a crisis of faith and her exposing her true self illustrates that. I agree that she'll need that long period of introspection but right now she's at a low point.

On April 26, 2016 at 6:44 AM, ssls6 said:

I was fully expecting her "natural" body to be burnt and/or marked with glyphs.  Much we don't know about shadow binders.  Considering that she was just "old" and that she "slept" is indeed very interesting.  I didn't pick up on the sleeping at first but you're right....interesting.

The whole "kiss of life" thing I thought would be more "known" among red priests.  I thought that she would have tried and failed first which would have been the final straw in her crisis of confidence.

I thought she'd, at least, have a facial tatoo from her time as a slave in Essos. The Melony Lot 7 memory.

22 hours ago, Ludo Kressh said:

But the way she said that suggests that she was wrong about that as well. Right now she's having a crisis of faith and her exposing her true self illustrates that. I agree that she'll need that long period of introspection but right now she's at a low point.

Maybe she does that every night before she goes to bed? Take off the glamour because it costs energy or concentration and isn't needed at night.

38 minutes ago, Clash said:

Maybe she does that every night before she goes to bed? Take off the glamour because it costs energy or concentration and isn't needed at night.

I thought that at first too, but apparently she never needed to sleep so I can imagine she never needed to remove her glamour until now.

15 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

Has the no sleep thing ever been brought up on the show though, or is that just a book thing?

As far as I know it's just a book thing and even then it's exaggerated. From what I remember it was more through worry and fear of her dreams that prevented her sleeping. Not an ability in itself.

16 minutes ago, Philpenn said:

Has the no sleep thing ever been brought up on the show though, or is that just a book thing?

Tried to find references in the show, but failed to find any. Maybe I missed them.

HOWEVER, the reference about it in the books indicate that she rarely sleeps. Doesn't say she NEVER sleeps. Here's the quote:

Almost dawn, my lady."
Dawn. Another day is given us, R'hllor be praised. The terrors of the night recede. Melisandre had spent the night in her chair by the fire, as she often did. With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use. She had no time for sleep, with the weight of the world upon her shoulders. And she feared to dream. Sleep is a little death, dreams the whisperings of the Other, who would drag us all into his eternal night. She would sooner sit bathed in the ruddy glow of her red lord's blessed flames, her cheeks flushed by the wash of heat as if by a lover's kisses. Some nights she drowsed, but never for more than an hour. One day, Melisandre prayed, she would not sleep at all. One day she would be free of dreams. Melony, she thought. Lot Seven.

19 hours ago, Dofs said:

So that old theory about Mel was confirmed after all. But in the books a glamour is an optical illusion and Stannis was sleeping with Mel, so how couldn't he notice that she was so old? Or he knew?

Yeah, when Mel is seducing Gendry and she has the nerve to describe the septas or silent sisters as horrible old lady's with their dried up -----, well talk about people who should not throw stones!! Poor Stannis, the only excuse I can offer is that perhaps his point of comparison may be Selyse only, witch does not strike me as being an experience full of joy and carnal delight and old Mel indeed have been fantastic for him. At least Mel had years and years and years and years more time to acquire experience and for Stannis may have been an oldy but a goody as the saying goes?

I figured it was simple as Mel wanting to feel, for lack of a better word, normal by doing something simple as laying down and sleeping and not living a lie in that aspect. I'm not sure if that's a prelude to her pulling a Beric style resurrection and sacrificing herself for Jon or if it's just a soul searching moment for her before she faces the world again after the fall of Stannis. Heck, I think it'd be cool if she stayed an old lady for awhile.

Archived