Which Westerosi Gods are real?

Cymorococh

R'hllor - Great on resurrection and killing kings, iffy on stopping snow

Old Gods/Weirwoods - Great on visions

The Seven - No evidence of their efficacy at all

Drowned God - Doesn't seem to be doing a good job of looking after his devotees

R'hllor seems to be the one to follow really, any thoughts?

Well, GRRM has said that none of them will appear, so the answer to all is a big ol' "maybe."

(You didn't list him, but - if no gods will appear, then I'd say that safely rules out the Night King/Other King/Whatever we're going to call the leader of the Others [if there is one] will not be the Great Other of the R'hllor faith).

42 minutes ago, Fisch said:

Well, GRRM has said that none of them will appear, so the answer to all is a big ol' "maybe."

(You didn't list him, but - if no gods will appear, then I'd say that safely rules out the Night King/Other King/Whatever we're going to call the leader of the Others [if there is one] will not be the Great Other of the R'hllor faith).

Yea I remember that quote from GRRM.  I believe he also said something to the affect that; just like in real life; he wanted the religions to Westeros to all be ambiguous in nature, with little signs that they *could* be real, but never having any concrete proof of any of them being proven accurate.

I don't know how I feel about the term "real." Did the three kings die because of some burned leaches or because real people (Tywin, Euron, Littlefinger) killed them. Just a matter of how you choose to view it. The only one you can even remotely say is "real" is the Old Gods because there is actually someone we see (Bloodraven/Bran) that is actually looking over people and arguably affecting people. 

1 minute ago, Maxxine said:

I don't know how I feel about the term "real." Did the three kings die because of some burned leaches or because real people (Tywin, Euron, Littlefinger) killed them. Just a matter of how you choose to view it. The only one you can even remotely say is "real" is the Old Gods because there is actually someone we see (Bloodraven/Bran) that is actually looking over people and arguably affecting people. 

They died because real people killed them.

As to the question: None.

I'm of the opinion that probably none of them are "real", at least in the sense that some religion(s) got it exactly right.  It seems more likely that the sources of magic woven through the world have inspired religious followings.  Someone's explanation of a fiery guy in the sky seems a little more credible when their priests are predicting stuff and manipulating fire.

In the grand scheme of the books, though, I think this is one of those questions that GRRM will never directly or completely answer.  Kind of like the questions about Sothoryos/far-east geography -- it fits with the medieval Westerosi mindset that the world still holds a lot of mysteries.

None of them are real as in actual gods. Now if we are talking godlike power, the greenseers and the collective mind of the COTF is probably the most power.

That depends on what you mean by real.

The soul cycle that Bran encounters in ADwD under Bloodraven's tutelage seems real enough.

R'hlorr's followers have displayed some evidence of power that they attribute to the Lord of Light. If R'hlorr is real, however, I suspect that he is most certainly not anything most people would call a god. Tinfoil: R'hlorr is the Bloodstone Emperor.

If the Seven have any power in modern times they have yet to display it convincingly. Tinfoil is that they are garbled memories of Dawn Emperors.

The Drowned God seems like a shoo-in for either complete nonsense used to justify, even glorify, rape and pillage or some Lovecraftian antediluvian horror. Tinfoil: Sunken weirwood grove corrupted by oily black stone.

The Many-Faced God is manifestly real. Valar Morghulis.

19 hours ago, Cymorococh said:

R'hllor - Great on resurrection and killing kings, iffy on stopping snow

Old Gods/Weirwoods - Great on visions

The Seven - No evidence of their efficacy at all

Drowned God - Doesn't seem to be doing a good job of looking after his devotees

R'hllor seems to be the one to follow really, any thoughts?

The Old gods in the sense that we meet people who are about to become one. We won't meet any of hte other ones 

I think the Old Gods are the only truly existing beings on Westros (not sure about the whole word), they might not be true GODS in the actual meaning of the words though, probabbly they are greenseers and all the Weirwood net thing exists, like it's mentioned in some theories. Really Avatar style with roots and people interconnected and the memmories being acessible to everyone that is attached to them (with some training).

R'hlorr is the great mystery, might be just that the red priests are just making him up and only use bloodmagic and other spells and tricks but i don't know for sure, the ressurection don't seem to be an easy spell and Thoros wasn't meant to be a great sorcerer by himself. If the Red god is for real the other one could easily be real too then.

The other ones seems to be all madeup religion gods to me.

As to Essos there is the gods of the rivers of the Rhoinar too, but we don't know almost nothing of them to speculate much, they could be true if the water mages did really existed and was as powerfull to defeat dragons, or not.

Is there any known gods from Asshai? I remember something about being statues of them on Vaes Dotrakh or was that just a theory? I can't remember much from the final AWOIAF chapters right now, so if there is someone to help me out on that.

• 1 year later...

Old Gods and the Red God are shown to have real powers. I'd add the Seven to the mix but instead of actual gods, they manifest through the characters who all have a big part in the endgame.

Stranger - Night King

Mother - Dany

Maiden - Sansa

Crone - Melisandre

Warrior - Jaime

Smith - Gendry

Father - No idea. Tyrion?

The Seven Gods who made us all,

are listening if we should call.

So close your eyes, you shall not fall,

they see you, little children.

Just close your eyes, you shall not fall,