The monkeys growing?

9 hours ago, T and A said:

Oh come on People. Why do you allways have to bring the TV Show on the discussion. The topic has nothing to do whether the TV Show is ebetter, equal or worse than the books. It doesn't affect the books at all. No matter what the discussion is, ten posts later you have the "OMG HBO sucks, D&D are assholes, the books are better...bla bla bla". Just a Tipp: JUST DON'T WATCH THE FUCKING SHOW. And stop posting everywhere how much you hate a Show that you wach it like 10 Times. This topic is about GRRM writing process. And the process sucks. 

If it bothers you so much you should have quoted the person I replied to, since s/he is the one who brought it up. 

In answer to the statement "you can't rush art":

The opera composer, Giacchino Rossini, once had to inform the producer of his next opera ("The Thieving Magpie") that he hadn't written an overture at all for the piece, it was only a few days to the opening night, and would he mind re-using this overture from a previous opera that had been a box office flop, since the overture was worth saving?

The producer, enraged at what he saw as Rossini's laziness, sent along four burly stagehands. Not to negotiate with Rossini, but to bundle him up into his attic with pen and manuscript paper and order him to get writing. As he finished each page, it was thrown out of the window to errand boys below, who had instructions to run the pages to the copyist, to convert it into a conductor's score and individual orchestral parts.

If Rossini stopped writing for any reason, the stagehands apparently had orders to throw Rossini out of the window instead.

The result - the famous "Thieving Magpie" Overture - is universally known as one of Rossini's greatest operatic overtures, and regularly programmed as a stand-alone orchestral work in concerts all over the world, ever since.

The rest of the opera, over which he took his time? Is regarded as a relatively charming but inconsequential piece of its time, seldom performed outside his native Italy, and not that often even there.

Which just goes to show that, not only you CAN rush art, but very often, taking extra time to perfect it is actually counter-productive and often results in something worse than the initial attempt: and sometimes creative-types need a good solid ass-kicking to actually get moving.

I personally believe GRRM needs a good dose of the Rossini treatment...

1 hour ago, LS1Transam said:

Considering all the released content was stuff he left out of dance and has barely hinted at new content, I'm wondering if he's mentally close to just giving up.  I'm honestly at the point where I don't expect him to finish the series and would be surprised if he actually completed "winds"

i can't imagine how tough it is to be working on a book and watching a TV crew turn his unfinished work into fan fiction and become more popular than his books.  Mentally how do you continue when a show stole your thunder?  He still has loyal book readers that don't care but that has to be a huge blow to moral

im also with the previous folks that said Martin doesn't care about his fans.  His demeanor at appearances has always come across as "here I am, worship me!".  I believe he at least owes his fans progress updates

you'd figure he'd at least consider releasing a smaller book since his are usually long to begin with but I honestly think he hasn't made much progress since 2011

I don't think he's close to giving up at all. Sure, he is busy as hell and has cancelled as much as possible because of that. Some things he can't cancel because of the type of commitment.

Anyway, at Balticon last month, after he was interviewed by the ASOIAF artist John Picacio, Mr. Picacio asked him what part of "Kong" was he currently working on and George said it was a Cercei chapter. So GRRM is still working and Cercei is still alive (so far :devil:)

It would be nice to at least have a guesstimate of being in the first, second, third or fourth quarter of the work, or maybe even to the nearest 10% - even allowing for the principle that the first 90% takes the first 90% of the time, and then the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time...

22 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I don't think he's close to giving up at all. Sure, he is busy as hell and has cancelled as much as possible because of that. Some things he can't cancel because of the type of commitment.

Anyway, at Balticon last month, after he was interviewed by the ASOIAF artist John Picacio, Mr. Picacio asked him what part of "Kong" was he currently working on and George said it was a Cercei chapter. So GRRM is still working and Cercei is still alive (so far :devil:)

Well we need a Kings Landing POV for the "trial of fire", lol

Man Kong must be some beast if GRRM still hasn't gotten him slain yet.

4 minutes ago, sifth said:

Well we need a Kings Landing POV for the "trial of fire", lol

Man Kong must be some beast if GRRM still hasn't gotten him slain yet.

Kong's son is trying very hard to avenge his fallen father. George can slay him, too, though, we all know he can.

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It concerns me that he started putting some appearances back on. Originally, I believe he had his appearances in august and perhaps December  (not sure), but definitely November appearance at Tuscon was recently added. (That one wasn't the one he committed a long time ago otherwise it would have been on appearances calendar before)

Either he is giving up on finishing this book anytime soon and reneging on his promises to clear out his schedule for TWOW and so decided to get his trips back on or he expects to be done by November so he feels free to start adding back on his appearances. But I fear it may be a false hope.

But his snap on that comment asking about TWOW at the Con concerns me, if he was coming close to finishing the book, he probably would have answered something with a wink, but his curt retort actually shows that he is nowhere near done and doesn't think he will be near done by August either.

14 minutes ago, Masha said:

It concerns me that he started putting some appearances back on. Originally, I believe he had his appearances in august and perhaps December  (not sure), but definitely November appearance at Tuscon was recently added. (That one wasn't the one he committed a long time ago otherwise it would have been on appearances calendar before)

Either he is giving up on finishing this book anytime soon and reneging on his promises to clear out his schedule for TWOW and so decided to get his trips back on or he expects to be done by November so he feels free to start adding back on his appearances. But I fear it may be a false hope.

But his snap on that comment asking about TWOW at the Con concerns me, if he was coming close to finishing the book, he probably would have answered something with a wink, but his curt retort actually shows that he is nowhere near done and doesn't think he will be near done by August either.

His curt response to Winds at Balticon could have been because the asker knowingly broke the request to not ask. :dunno: 

I hadn't seen where George added anything back into his schedule. Strange. 

I guess things are either working out for the book, or not and that is bad news for me. Hmmm. That requires a little more thinking and maybe a few more blog updates??? 

when GRMM had his talk with Steven King, he sarcastically made a comment about three chapters in 6 months. That of course can't be his average speed, but perhaps it was the speed he has been writing at since November? Maybe there is a scene he just can't get right, and is continually rewording portions and changing POV accounts to make it perfect? Or perhaps he has actually wrote like 15 chapters since then, but had scrapped the first 12 because of that twist maybe, or some other reason? It must be brutally hard to come up with a logical plot, with twits, where all the characters have believable and realistic motives and abilities, that fits in with previous foreshadowing, and that ends up largely where he has been planning all along. Like a piecing a puzzle or solving for flux, this must take some serious thinking. 

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

His curt response to Winds at Balticon could have been because the asker knowingly broke the request to not ask. :dunno: 

I hadn't seen where George added anything back into his schedule. Strange. 

I guess things are either working out for the book, or not and that is bad news for me. Hmmm. That requires a little more thinking and maybe a few more blog updates??? 

I most certainly did not know there was some kind of request to not ask about winds of winter. But i'll definitely not comment on his blogs anymore lol I am kind of embarrassed about it. I feel like I ticked him off and it put me down. I was all hyped when I got the email saying grrm replied to my comment too :( haha. 

1 hour ago, Entrisen said:

I most certainly did not know there was some kind of request to not ask about winds of winter. But i'll definitely not comment on his blogs anymore lol I am kind of embarrassed about it. I feel like I ticked him off and it put me down. I was all hyped when I got the email saying grrm replied to my comment too :( haha. 

I'm sorry you're feeling down because of it, but I wouldn't take it personally if I were you ; Martin is probably just stressed out and tired because he's been asked this question for years, and he's lashed out a bit there.

21 hours ago, shifter said:

The show is enjoyable,but I view it as fan fiction now that they are ahead of the books.I cannot see anything they do better than the books,and I hope GRRM doesn`t kill off as many direwolves in the REAL story.The reveals this season,except Hodor,were all pretty obvious and discussed on this forum for years.I am hoping for TWOW to be released by this fall,but am not optimistic.

not to nitpick here but some of us are avoiding the show and spoilers for Wow, can you please refrain from posting show references? Hodor or direwolves aren't major players but it's still something. I've been (well... had been now I guess) managing to avoid spoilers and this is the only forum I now check. Thanks for your understanding.

8 hours ago, Winter's Breath said:

when GRMM had his talk with Steven King, he sarcastically made a comment about three chapters in 6 months. That of course can't be his average speed, but perhaps it was the speed he has been writing at since November? Maybe there is a scene he just can't get right, and is continually rewording portions and changing POV accounts to make it perfect? Or perhaps he has actually wrote like 15 chapters since then, but had scrapped the first 12 because of that twist maybe, or some other reason? It must be brutally hard to come up with a logical plot, with twits, where all the characters have believable and realistic motives and abilities, that fits in with previous foreshadowing, and that ends up largely where he has been planning all along. Like a piecing a puzzle or solving for flux, this must take some serious thinking. 

From our perspective that definitely must be tough, but that's where GRRM's skill set is so it should come a lot easier for a guy like that, just like our jobs hopefully come easy to us for the most part.  Though where I would see the biggest area of difficulty is where he has to watch a TV show take his lifes work and turn it into fan fiction...then watch it become bigger and more popular than his story.  

How does he regain suspense and the uncertainty that comes with reading an original story?  Even though Martin's version is still different...I don't believe you can consider it an original story anymore since the TV show has over taken him and created their own version of the story.  He says he's not influenced by the show, but it has got to affect him in some way.  This is why I said I believe he's on the verge of mentally just giving up.

I still think he should show a shred of the loyalty his fans have towards him and offer a progress update

22 hours ago, Missandei M said:

What do you mean by her being too young?

She's 12 now and while the seduction and the killing here worked because her victim was a pedo, this can hardly be the case with all her future hits. For being a female badass assassin it takes the ability to seduce men, to make bitchmoves and everything that goes with it. My point is, that these things don't work with a child or would come over very queer. Another possible arc is her connection with the BWB. She should take over from LSH sooner or later. This would require a certain age to be taken seriously.

I didn't mean to say, introduce the 5 year now. I believe TWOW takes so long because he maybe wants to cover more time than in the other books, and that it is difficult to keep the plots synchronous and nevertheless finished with 1000 pages

1 hour ago, Mayor of Winterfell said:

She's 12 now and while the seduction and the killing here worked because her victim was a pedo, this can hardly be the case with all her future hits. For being a female badass assassin it takes the ability to seduce men, to make bitchmoves and everything that goes with it. My point is, that these things don't work with a child or would come over very queer. Another possible arc is her connection with the BWB. She should take over from LSH sooner or later. This would require a certain age to be taken seriously.

I didn't mean to say, introduce the 5 year now. I believe TWOW takes so long because he maybe wants to cover more time than in the other books, and that it is difficult to keep the plots synchronous and nevertheless finished with 1000 pages

Her age might feel strange to you, but not a lot of people. When I first picked up the books I was really put off by the age differences of all the characters. "Jon and Rob are only 14-15???" And I even went as far to just pretend they were older like the show. But then I slowly learned to love the ages of the characters in the books and am disappointed in how they made them all so much older in the show. In those days life was rough and kids have to be adults. At 13 you're off to war. Stuff like that. As long as you can produce children you can marry no matter the age. So it's just different. 

1 hour ago, Entrisen said:

Her age might feel strange to you, but not a lot of people. When I first picked up the books I was really put off by the age differences of all the characters. "Jon and Rob are only 14-15???" And I even went as far to just pretend they were older like the show. But then I slowly learned to love the ages of the characters in the books and am disappointed in how they made them all so much older in the show. In those days life was rough and kids have to be adults. At 13 you're off to war. Stuff like that. As long as you can produce children you can marry no matter the age. So it's just different. 

In general I agree with you. But for a girl 12 is not 14 - 15. The difference I don't have to explain, I hope.

8 minutes ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

obviously you know your going to have a hảd time not beibeing spoiled. ìf your 100 pêrcent serious about not being spoiled. the internet, especially this site should be avoided at all times ỏr íts only a matter òf time.

In the context of this thread this means what ?

Archived