What will Wyman do after he has Rickon?

James Steller

Assuming he survives his wounds from Hosteen, what is his endgame?

He says he'll take Stannis as King if Davos brings back his lord. But Rickon is a child. What does Wyman plan on doing? Putting Rickon in Winterfell and restoring House Stark like nothing happened? Or will he attempt a power grab of his own? It's important to note that a Manderly played a crucial role in the dance of the dragons and the small council years when Aegon III was still a boy. Will Wyman appoint himself Lord Protector in Rickon's name? And if so, what would stop Wyman from killing the Boltons, betraying Rickon and Stannis, and then taking over the north for House Manderly himself?

He could arrange a marriage between Rickon and his grandaughter and rule until they are of age. I don't think the Maderly's are false. I think other than the Boltons and Karstarks (Who have a legitimate reason for hating the Starks, even if it's also a legitimate action on Robb's part that caused it.) none of the houses would genuinely plot against the Starks. Too many houses do that, and it takes away from both the treachery of the Boltons, and how loved the Starks really were. 

4 minutes ago, Melisandre's White Pubes said:

Turn him over to the Boltons.

Only in the show.:angry2:

Book Manderly would probably do what Stellar suggested. Marry Rickon to his granddaughter and rule as regent (or at least try to) until Rickon came of age with the added bonus the next Lord Stark would be directly of his blood. The Manderlys may be diehard loyalists but like any other house they don't lack for ambition...Kind of like the Peakes but don't tell them I made that analogy. They'd bake me into a pie for it probably in which case I hope they at least make me tasty.

46 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Assuming he survives his wounds from Hosteen, what is his endgame?

He says he'll take Stannis as King if Davos brings back his lord. But Rickon is a child. What does Wyman plan on doing? Putting Rickon in Winterfell and restoring House Stark like nothing happened? Or will he attempt a power grab of his own? It's important to note that a Manderly played a crucial role in the dance of the dragons and the small council years when Aegon III was still a boy. Will Wyman appoint himself Lord Protector in Rickon's name? And if so, what would stop Wyman from killing the Boltons, betraying Rickon and Stannis, and then taking over the north for House Manderly himself?

Without Stannis, Manderly has no king who protects him and helps him get vengeance on the Freys. Backstabbing Stannis would be a dumb move unless he means to join Daenerys. 

40 minutes ago, Wyman Manderly's Meat Pies said:

He could arrange a marriage between Rickon and his grandaughter and rule until they are of age. I don't think the Maderly's are false. I think other than the Boltons and Karstarks (Who have a legitimate reason for hating the Starks, even if it's also a legitimate action on Robb's part that caused it.) none of the houses would genuinely plot against the Starks. Too many houses do that, and it takes away from both the treachery of the Boltons, and how loved the Starks really were. 

Yup.  This.  That would solidify House Manderly as the top Northern vassal house (toppling the Boltons) and put Manderly blood in the Stark line.  

It would also make for an interesting confrontation if and when Howland Reed ever shows up with Robb's will naturalizing Jon and naming him as heir.

I agree with what most have said, the Manderlys are clearly ambitious (the main reason they got kicked out of the Mander) and will likely try to be regents or at least the most powerful lords after the Starks. That being said they clearly are loyal, just listen to both Wyman talking and particularly Wylla's speech.

He'll probably make a power grab, name himself Lord Protector/Regent and might marry Rickon to his grandaughter...I think he stays loyal to the Starks and somewhat to Stannis though. He's just ambitious and wants to see his house in a better position than it is, I don't think he has anything dubious planned.

We saw in CoK that Manderly is oportunistic (he wanted to take position of Master of Ships and Master of Coin and to marry Donnele to grab Hornwood lands), but we saw in DwD that he is fiercly loyal to Starks (have you seen how his grandaughter reacted? yeah,somebody had to teach her that). I think he is loyal to Starks but wants to prosper under them. So like many think he marry grandaughter to Rickon, rule as regent in his name and this would be more than a decade. Will he betray Rickon and seize North to  himself? Of course not, it is stupid, he is Andal Seven worshiper not a Stark and fat. Will he betray Stannis? No, that is just stupid. He can serve under King who is really grateful to him (we did see Stannis changing and becoming more human) and be Warden of North, maybe even get a position of Master of Ships in new Small Council (if he suplies ships to Stannis, Davos is Hand after all), but I tend to think Asha will have that position.

He is going to rule the North, in Rickon's name, and lend his fleet to King Stannis after Bolton defeat. The Mannis will sail with with fleet captained by Asha Greyjoy and attack Dragonstone to take back his seat from Iron Throne as part of his "second siege of King's Landing" plan. This is where Stannis will meet Daenerys and her invading army. She will bath him in dragonflame like foreshadowed on his burning stag banner and slay the lie of "a blue eyed king who cast no shadow with burning sword in his hand". From there, Dany will plan her future invasion of Westeros.

I expect Manderly and northern nobility to rally around Rickon and hear news of Jon Snow marching on Winterfell with an army of wildlings. Jon needs to take control of his brother in order to send northerners to the Wall and man nineteen castles. Manderly will not be too much happy about it. When they are done fighting, I see Rickon (not because of Jon, he will be killed by some third party, maybe Littlefinger's men in order to put Sansa closer and closer in succession line to Winterfell), Manderly and majority of northern nobility get destroyed, and their lands and titles transferred to Jon's allies, mainly wildlings. Ser Davos, in particular, will get White Harbor in place of killed and deposed Manderlys.

3 hours ago, A Bong of Ice and Fire said:

Make a Stark pie and eat him?

It would be funny if he would actually do that.

Topic: Remember that Wylla Manderly is 15 yers old and rickon 5. Age gap is quite big. I think Wyman will please himslef with being regent and taking dreadfort and hornwood for himself.

1 hour ago, Scorpion92 said:

I expect Manderly and northern nobility to rally around Rickon and hear news of Jon Snow marching on Winterfell with an army of wildlings. Jon needs to take control of his brother in order to send northerners to the Wall and man nineteen castles. Manderly will not be too much happy about it. When they are done fighting, I see Rickon (not because of Jon, he will be killed by some third party, maybe Littlefinger's men in order to put Sansa closer and closer in succession line to Winterfell), Manderly and majority of northern nobility get destroyed, and their lands and titles transferred to Jon's allies, mainly wildlings. Ser Davos, in particular, will get White Harbor in place of killed and deposed Manderlys.

Yeah, surely Jon would go on war against his brother Rickon and then execute all his father bannerrmen.

2 minutes ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Yeah, surely Jon would go on war against his brother Rickon and then execute all his father bannerrmen.

He is not going to a war with his brother, he is going to a war with people who have control of his brother. He needs to become Rickon's Regent in order to rally northerners and send them to guard nineteen castles at the Wall. Only Lord Stark of Winterfell can do that.

I am not going to expect cute, little Johnny boy when he is back, he will be much harsher and unforgiving to disobedience. If northern nobility views him as Usurper (trying to take Rickon's place with force) and trying to take control of the North for selfish reasons with an army of people northerners have hated for thousands of years, then Jon will have no choice but to kill his enemies. His storyline in Winds will not be pretty one.

I am with the "Wyman makes himself regent and grabs for more influence in North and in KL" crowd. His demeanor concerning the Hornwood lands in CoK shows he is looking for more power.

Even though the results may still benefit the North and the Starks, he will always seek the path that benefits House Manderly the most.

Being opportunistic is not necessarily evil, it is how the game is always played.

1 minute ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

I am with the "Wyman makes himself regent and grabs for more influence in North and in KL" crowd. His demeanor concerning the Hornwood lands in CoK shows he is looking for more power.

Even though the results may still benefit the North and the Starks, he will always seek the path that benefits House Manderly the most.

Being opportunistic is not necessarily evil, it is how the game is always played.

I do think he would support Rickon even without the prospect of being regent in the end though. So it's more a bonus than his goal.

4 minutes ago, John Doe said:

I do think he would support Rickon even without the prospect of being regent in the end though. So it's more a bonus than his goal.

His goal is probably still revenge and order for the North... although in ASOIAF nobody is completely noble. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some greed in Manderly's plan to raise Rickon to king, maybe he'll want to marry a daughter off to Rickon. In a lot of ways Rickon is the best heir right now. Bran is stuck at the Wall, and a crippled boy doesn't inspire much hope. Sansa is married to a Lannister and backed by Littlefinger, and Rickon is higher in the succession and unlike "Arya", he can't be proven fake because he has the direwolf.

Wyman's also been building that fleet since Clash. Seeing as there's a Greyjoy fleet on both ends of Westeros, I imagine that's a pretty good point in the "Wyman should be Rickon's regent" box. Without his fleet, the North has no Naval presence and since George said that the throne would change hands a few times in Winds, it's possible it belongs to Euron at some point. 

Archived