[SPOILERS] Direwolf Dilemma

Lord Parker

Bran woke up from his coma and initial meeting with the 3ER and knew to name his wolf Summer. Winter is coming are the Stark words. Summer is not what defeats Winter. Spring is what melts away the snows. Summer is when you prepare for winter (grow your crops, hone your skills, ect). Summer was Bran's version of training wheels for developing his gifts. He can now ride faster without them (so to speak). 

I was devastated to see the doggie go, but in terms of moving the plot forward, he has had by far the most meaningful death. He, Leaf, and Hodor provided time for Brandon and Meera to escape and now Bran will have to learn how to function without the safety net of having a direwolf and a giant to protect him and the option to just "hop" into one of their bodies when he needs legs...

The direwolves do/did have meaning int he show. 

Summer died so Winter can begin.
GreyWind blew south with Robb and died with him
Jon died and came back a Ghost
Lady died, as did Sansa's innocence and naivety(thinking she was destined to marry a prince and be a queen and proper lady)
Shaggydog was literally just a shaggydog story(a story that is entirely inconsequential/pointless in the end)
Nymeria became independent and went on her own, just like Arya

I wish people would stop saying "oh hurr durr hurr le budget) because it's not that at all. This season had $10million budget per episode.

7 hours ago, PigJouster said:

At this point, I expect the next episode to have some random, nameless character say "I killed a direwolf in the Riverlands the other day!" and for that to be the end of Nymeria.

Oh no... Sansa is sending Brienne to the Riverlands... your expectations might be fulfilled if this keeps up!

Lady dies.  Bran wakes from his coma. Grey Wind dies.  LS awakes from dead. (Book only) but in show both Arya and Sansa grow stronger, Bran's abilities grow, so maybe there is something there. Shaggydog dies.  Jon awakes from the dead.  Summer dies. ?  Only death can pay for life.  So there seem to be some tie between the death of the direwolves and the evolution of the Stark children

9 hours ago, PigJouster said:

I do hope that's the case, for the books' sake. Shaggy Dog and especially Summer both died for no real reason. Hell, even Grey Wind, back in Season 3, died wrong. I was so hoping to see a Stark supporter set him loose to tear apart a few Freys like in the books, and instead he was shot down in a cage.

At this point, I expect the next episode to have some random, nameless character say "I killed a direwolf in the Riverlands the other day!" and for that to be the end of Nymeria.

In the Books Grey Wind did have that symbolic death. Not only that is was Rob's squire and brother in law who set him loose, took a bolt and ended up in the Trident. At this point, in the books, we still do not know the fate of that Squire. Basically in the books those 2 wolves deaths had meaning and purpose.

In the Show, unless Shaggy is really not dead, then both of those deaths have had no purpose or meaning. If they are destined to die in the Books, I imagine it will much more symbolic and play a much greater role in the overall story.

Since EP1/ Book 1 I believed the direwolfs meant something more than pets/protectors. There's theories about their names and etc etc. So yes, I'm pissed that their life/death meant nothing at all. They didn't add nothing, they're just pets. 

I'm waiting to see what they'll do to Ghost and Nymeria. 

13 hours ago, Lord Parker said:

So, we're only halfway through this season and we've already seen Summer killed and Shaggydog confirmed killed offscreen. A lot of people are pissed about this, and I don't blame them. Summer's death was meaningless, glazed over, and to be honest: stupid.

Isn't that the case with 90% of the deaths in general? Only a few get a glorious death.

Of the pack Summer has even the most glorious death (Although I have to admit that he went down too easy too fast)

Lady: Killed by Ned Stark

Greywolf: Killed while caged

Shaggydog: Most likely killed off screen.

Summer: Killed by a lot of wights while protecting Bran

33 minutes ago, maicao said:

Who confirmed Shaggydog is dead???

In an interview, Art Parkinson (the actor who plays Rickon), said that he's dead.

Of course this could be just something that he's saying, but it seems unlikely.

But yeah. 

It's not that I can't get over Summer dying, it could have been fine. I mean, sad of course, but things like this happen. But it was the way that it happened... it was just a meaningless moment overrun by an over-the-top zombie scene. Ugh. Praying to both the old gods and the new that Brienne's trip to the Riverlands doesn't somehow treat us to the information that Nymeria died off-screen. There has to be something more for her than that.

No one knows what is in the Winds of Winter, so Summer may go out that way in the books.  It is obvious Rickon was a substitute for Jeyne Poole and it would make no sense to have Rickon captured and Shaggydog survive. 

Or here is another thought ... D&D has become so obsessively tired of hearing six season of "not enough direwolves" they took a page out of another famous duos handbook (Parker and Stone) and decided if you are going to bitch about not enough direwolves, we are going to kill them all off so you have one less thing to bitch about!

Personally, I find all the judgment regarding the show just a symptom of this country as a whole.  Can't be happy with what you are given, you have to piss and moan about getting more!  HBO could allocate 20 episodes a season and still leave out stuff from the books and you people would still act like spoiled children. 

Please continue to bitch and whine and Ghost will be dead before you know it!

11 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I believe it's all about the budget, in their opinion the direwolves are delivering too little when compared to the cost of making them.

I agree, they didn't even bother showing Ghost leaving Winterfell with Jon, Sansa and their band of misfits.  I assume Ghost will just be there on Bear Island or wherever when it is necessary for the plot.  

53 minutes ago, LinsarellaSand said:

In an interview, Art Parkinson (the actor who plays Rickon), said that he's dead.

Of course this could be just something that he's saying, but it seems unlikely.

A few days ago, Daniel Sackham, director of episode 3 and 4, was asked on reddit:

Are you positive that is Shaggydog's head? Kinda small for a direwolf, if you ask me...

His response was

Your right it does seem small. I had the same question, but I was assured by the creature maker that was responsible for crafting the head that it was the correct size. Good question.

He didn't confirm or deny it was Shaggydog's head, he just said "it was the correct size"... so one can only hope he's not dead...

To be honest, and I hate saying this but:

I think the direwolves only had/have one purpose, which was to protect the children. I think Nymeria is still alive for one purpose. Arya's wolf dreams make it impossible for her to forget about her family (book), and I think Arya will fail to fully immerse herself with the FM (hopefully-I hate this arc) due to persistent dreams. In the show, they seem to be using the play to remind her. Once Arya returns....then it may be Nymeria's turn to go (in the book). I don't think the DW were ever intended to accompany the Stark children into adulthood. If this is true...Ghost may be on borrowed time :(

Archived