How can Asha (Yara) have 100 ships?

When Asha and Theon escaped after the Kingsmoot, it seems exceptional that they were able to take 100 ships with them.

Were these simply ships that had captains that were loyal to Asha for some reason? She obviously lost the moot and I find it hard to believe the gal who had nearly invisible support for Queen of the iron islands held the sway to take so many ships with her.

Even in the scenes where Theon and Asha are traveling to Mereen, I do not remember seeing them traveling with a single on-screen ironborn person. Do they have an army, or just a skeleton crew with the minimum number of sailors to keep the 100 ships moving?

Lots and lots and lots of plot holes. All we can do is make our own justifications to explain them away. 

The ships likely have skeleton crews and some on the islands would still back her, I don't think there's 100% support for Euron. Also the entire island wasn't at the kings moot so some on the islands may not know Euron returned (he introduced himself at the moot) so she could, I would assume, easily sway them to follow her. 

1 hour ago, wolverine said:

I'll bite.  I don't think Ironborn ships are very big so I will say 10 to 15 per ship minimum making them need 1000-1500 men.

False. THe correct answer is 11-16 men per ship, minimum being 1100-1600. 

Nice try though, my fellow Minnesotan board member :cheers:

The show has spent all money on dragons so there is no 100 ships on screen for you. I also don't get how many men Yara and Theon have bought with them to sail those 100 ships lol. They did not look like they had 100 men in the first place.

18 hours ago, StuSeaworth said:

When Asha and Theon escaped after the Kingsmoot, it seems exceptional that they were able to take 100 ships with them.

Were these simply ships that had captains that were loyal to Asha for some reason? She obviously lost the moot and I find it hard to believe the gal who had nearly invisible support for Queen of the iron islands held the sway to take so many ships with her.

Even in the scenes where Theon and Asha are traveling to Mereen, I do not remember seeing them traveling with a single on-screen ironborn person. Do they have an army, or just a skeleton crew with the minimum number of sailors to keep the 100 ships moving?

There looked to be a bunch of ships docked in Volantis and men on screen surrounding Yara and Theon in the outside brothel on the bridge in episode 7.

regardless of whether they were on-screen, I just use the same book reasoning for her stealing away ships after the Kingsmoot and just assume she was able to take a few more because Victarion hasn't been around to curry as much favor with the crews and soliders, so his support is now with her.

11 hours ago, Ser Greenseer said:

What do you guys think is the minimum number of men needed to crew 100 ships?

9 hours ago, wolverine said:

I'll bite.  I don't think Ironborn ships are very big so I will say 10 to 15 per ship minimum making them need 1000-1500 men.

7 hours ago, Rhaegar the Disdained said:

False. THe correct answer is 11-16 men per ship, minimum being 1100-1600. 

Nice try though, my fellow Minnesotan board member :cheers:

*Sigh* Have we learned nothing from "Pirates of the Caribbean"? It was clearly established that Capt. Jack Sparrow could NOT sail the Interceptor to Tortuga "by his onesie". But, after some convincing, he and Will Turner were able to do so. Thus, obviously, the answer is two men per ship.  Thus, the answer is 200. In the future, do try to keep pace. ;)

18 hours ago, Zoo_Dane said:

Lots and lots and lots of plot holes. All we can do is make our own justifications to explain them away. 

The ships likely have skeleton crews and some on the islands would still back her, I don't think there's 100% support for Euron. Also the entire island wasn't at the kings moot so some on the islands may not know Euron returned (he introduced himself at the moot) so she could, I would assume, easily sway them to follow her. 

There only plotholes if you see them that way. Your second paragraph is a reasonable explanation that the show doesn't need to go into.

22 hours ago, StuSeaworth said:

Yara had been around the Ironborn all her life and had been captaining her own ship for quite awhile now. I wouldn't surprise me if she gained loyalty among some of the Ironborn captains.

As far as only seeing Yara and Theon traveling to Mereen. I'ld put that under budget reasons. Aside from the initial shove off from Pyke, we only see them in a Volantis brothel and the Mereen temple. In neither case do you need another ironborn person with them. (Although one or two more in the temple wouldn't have hurt.).

2 hours ago, Ser Hyle said:

The answer is don't worry about it, or your brain is going to melt when we find out that Euron has built a fleet of 1000 ships in a couple turns of the moon.

And, even more miraculously, Euron was able to build all those ships out of the lone tree that was left standing in the Iron Islands!  Truly a "Bread and fishes"-type miracle! :D

47 minutes ago, Lord Lyman said:

There only plotholes if you see them that way. Your second paragraph is a reasonable explanation that the show doesn't need to go into.

Yara had been around the Ironborn all her life and had been captaining her own ship for quite awhile now. I wouldn't surprise me if she gained loyalty among some of the Ironborn captains.

As far as only seeing Yara and Theon traveling to Mereen. I'ld put that under budget reasons. Aside from the initial shove off from Pyke, we only see them in a Volantis brothel and the Mereen temple. In neither case do you need another ironborn person with them. (Although one or two more in the temple wouldn't have hurt.).

Plotholes are unexplained/illogical things in a story.  Now, people can certainly choose to not care that things are unexplained or don't make sense in a story but that doesn't mean those plotholes don't exist.

Also, if Yara had "gained loyalty among some of the Ironborn captains", as you say and I think could very easily have been shown to be the case on the show, then where were they and their voices during the Kingsmoot?  Seems they could have really come in handy for Yara and Theon there.  Dare I say it, could that be yet another plothole?;)

Yara in season two had a fleet of 30 ships and a very loyal crew who as she told Theon would "stay on the ships for a month while in the harbor" if she asked them too. So yes, it was already established that Yara has a very loyal crew.

Apparently since that time she has acquired a few more ships and men.

9 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Plotholes are unexplained/illogical things in a story.  Now, people can certainly choose to not care that things are unexplained or don't make sense in a story but that doesn't mean those plotholes don't exist.

Also, if Yara had "gained loyalty among some of the Ironborn captains", as you say and I think could very easily have been shown to be the case on the show, then where were they and their voices during the Kingsmoot?  Seems they could have really come in handy for Yara and Theon there.  Dare I say it, could that be yet another plothole?;)

But I'm interpreting nothing in the Ironborn storyline as a plot hole. Some of it has a reasonable explanation that doesn't need to be spoon fed by the show. Yara says she has 100 ships, you can reasonably believe that there is a crew on each ship. Just because we don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Why don't her loyal followers say something during the Kingsmoot? They are backing a female and are in the minority. They know what they say won't make a difference once Euron shows up.

Illogical is a perfectly preserved 2 month old Myrcella corpse.

18 minutes ago, Lord Lyman said:

But I'm interpreting nothing in the Ironborn storyline as a plot hole. Some of it has a reasonable explanation that doesn't need to be spoon fed by the show. Yara says she has 100 ships, you can reasonably believe that there is a crew on each ship. Just because we don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Why don't her loyal followers say something during the Kingsmoot? They are backing a female and are in the minority. They know what they say won't make a difference once Euron shows up.

Illogical is a perfectly preserved 2 month old Myrcella corpse.

Are you saying there actually were captains loyal to Yara present at the Kingsmoot but they just happened to not have a chance to speak up before Euron burst on the scene?  Where were they?  They certainly weren't shown.  And if they are there and are, in fact, loyal to Yara then they would certainly speak up or at least cheer for her at the Kingsmoot.  If they won't or are afraid then their backing doesn't mean squat.  You're certainly willing to fill in a lot of blanks for the show and that's fine.  But there are myriad plotholes in the show. 

And I'm with you on the Myrcella thing.  More nonsense...and the lack of any reaction/retaliation on the part of Cercei and the Lannisters to Myrcella's murder is even more nonsense.

Just my opinion and thoughts so save your criticism.

In my head, the Kingsmoot only had like 30 people there? Likely the respected heads of houses and not just every Joe blow.

Yara was effectively the Naval commander of the Iron fleet for a few years. She was a respected commander and leader. It is not unreasonable at all to think she simply summoned them to the ships and they did as they were told.

I do think it could have been handled a little less clunky but it wasn't. To me it's not enough of an issue for me to get too concerned over.

5 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

Theon can't breed tho, no matter what he rubs together. 

Maybe ships are an exception to the law? ;) But really, it's a long way from Iron Islands to Meereen, so I suppose that Asha got lazy after she reached 100th ship, otherwise she would have 10000000000 ships. ;)

Archived