[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

8 minutes ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

That reminded me of the classic evil overlord list, specifically rule 12. http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

I feel the show writers would really benefit from such an adviser.

I think Cersei followed this one, but for herself:

1. I will hire a talented fashion designer to create original uniforms for my Legions of Terror, as opposed to some cheap knock-offs that make them look like Nazi stormtroopers, Roman footsoldiers, or savage Mongol hordes. All were eventually defeated and I want my troops to have a more positive mind-set.

50 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I watched that part with my *son yesterday and he immediately asked the same thing. He's 13 and he knew how dumb it was right away. 

Also, without me saying a word, he started telling Rickon to zig zag when he ran to Jon. I laughed so hard right then. He's only 13 and was picking out errors right away and even cringed when the premise was the opposite of the books. 

(*Never claimed to be mom of the year) 

Tell him I agree with him, this show is too dumb.

And I went ahead and watched ep 10 too, now I'm feeling bored and annoyed. Khaleesi has never deadpanned with such utter deadpanning; her scene with Tyrion where she names him HotQ was awful. Was Tyrion making puppy eyes at her? 

Loved that both Khaleesi and Yarasharion waited for the mandatory Man Nod of Approval TM from Tyrion and Theon before shaking hands - or before shaking forearms. 

Also awesome how the Dothraki found their sea legs so easily and quickly, like they're a seafaring people and no one knew by the way they were all hands on dealing with ropes and sails and whathaveyou instead of being puking horse meat out the side of the ship. 

Why are the unsullied standing in some sort of formation, with helmets and everything right in the middle of the deck? The fuck is that?

The battle sucked. Carnage and blood, but all up close, no wide shots or anything. Shiny and worthless, like a pretty plastic bead. 

Cunningham was excellent (as usual) when he confronted Mel, but no points from me since it came  literally 10 episodes too late. Carice was terrible in all her scenes. Turner was terrible in all her scenes.

Why was Arya, with the different face, flirting with Jaime? WF death was atrocious, horrible, stupid, silly, I HATED it. Show Arya is a deranged psycho, and I love book Arya. 

And something that most will probably disagree with me, but Lyanna Mormont? Bad, really bad, didn't like at all. She reminded me of Super Vicky.

When did Marg had highlights done? Seems Spoonella is good at other things not just hair cuts. I wonder if they got bikini waxes and their nails done too. It helps to pass the time when you're locked in a cell with no food or water.  

32 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And something that most will probably disagree with me, but Lyanna Mormont? Bad, really bad, didn't like at all. She reminded me of Super Vicky.

I'm going to have to fully support you on that. Just horrible. Sure the actress is cute, and it would be funny if I was watching Kids Say the Darndest Things or something, but for Got, Ughh! They were just the most cringe-worthy scenes ever.

Ps: I support everything you said.

1 minute ago, Darkstream said:

I'm going to have to fully support you on that. Just horrible. Sure the actress is cute, and it would be funny if I was watching Kids Say the Darndest Things or something, but for Got, Ughh! They were just the most cringe-worthy scenes ever.

Yeah, it was really bad. So much for the "gritty realism" they keep banging on and on about. Awful. Glad I'm not alone! :cheers:

23 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Tell him I agree with him, this show is too dumb.

And I went ahead and watched ep 10 too, now I'm feeling bored and annoyed. Khaleesi has never deadpanned with such utter deadpanning; her scene with Tyrion where she names him HotQ was awful. Was Tyrion making puppy eyes at her? 

Loved that both Khaleesi and Yarasharion waited for the mandatory Man Nod of Approval TM from Tyrion and Theon before shaking hands - or before shaking forearms. 

Also awesome how the Dothraki found their sea legs so easily and quickly, like they're a seafaring people and no one knew by the way they were all hands on dealing with ropes and sails and whathaveyou instead of being puking horse meat out the side of the ship. 

Why are the unsullied standing in some sort of formation, with helmets and everything right in the middle of the deck? The fuck is that?

The battle sucked. Carnage and blood, but all up close, no wide shots or anything. Shiny and worthless, like a pretty plastic bead. 

Cunningham was excellent (as usual) when he confronted Mel, but no points from me since it came  literally 10 episodes too late. Carice was terrible in all her scenes. Turner was terrible in all her scenes.

Why was Arya, with the different face, flirting with Jaime? WF death was atrocious, horrible, stupid, silly, I HATED it. Show Arya is a deranged psycho, and I love book Arya. 

When did Marg had highlights done? Seems Spoonella is good at other things not just hair cuts. I wonder if they got bikini waxes and their nails done too. It helps to pass the time when you're locked in a cell with no food or water.  

1 minute ago, Darkstream said:

Ps: I support everything you said.

I support you too on the whole Lyanna Mormont thing and everything else. You are definitely not alone! The adults are unable to see things until a little kid points it out...Shame, shame, shame lol.

7 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, it was really bad. So much for the "gritty realism" they keep banging on and on about. Awful. Glad I'm not alone! :cheers:

How much do you think I'd be willing to bet that you are glad you decided to watch? :lmao: 

I'm sorry you had to endure through that, we should have tried to stop you. :blushing:

The Mary Sue praised the season's women. Totally let down by them. They couldn't see the faux feminism for what it was. Can't even count on negative critics to avoid the emperor's clothes phenomenon. Really sad that a site that is supposed to be feminist actually thinks Sansa is better now. Her story is literally the gross rape=empowerment trope. Or the fact that women are only strong when they are merciless killing machines that take on the traits of their abusers. Or  when they are destroying the family their lover cared about. Or when they are emotionally abusing their sibling for not getting over four years of extreme torture. There is no hope when even show detractors come back as fawning fan girls.

1 hour ago, rosehustle1 said:

The Mary Sue praised the season's women. Totally let down by them. They couldn't see the faux feminism for what it was. Can't even count on negative critics to avoid the emperor's clothes phenomenon. Really sad that a site that is supposed to be feminist actually thinks Sansa is better now. Her story is literally the gross rape=empowerment trope. Or the fact that women are only strong when they are merciless killing machines that take on the traits of their abusers. Or  when they are destroying the family their lover cared about. Or when they are emotionally abusing their sibling for not getting over four years of extreme torture. There is no hope when even show detractors come back as fawning fan girls.

The Sand Snakes and Ellaria did not merely destroyed the Martells.

At least it can be argued that Cersei has lost her sanity after the imprisonment and the deaths of Joffrey and Myrcella and she killed people who threatened her and they had proved how powerful they were.

But Ellaria stabbed to death Doran, a man on a wheelchair and the snakes killed their cousin.

Neither of them had ever wronged them.

This is plain evil, Gregor Clegane level of cruelty and LF level of political ambition.

And it is cowardice, a fine, pure act of cowardice.

The worst part for me is that online newspapers simply accept what sites like Mary Sue claim and write articles about how girl power has finally won and that GOT is no longer misogynistic and that Sansa finally did something. 

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

There are two explanations.

The official one:

Arya was pretending to flirt with Jaime, because he is a Lannister and actually considers killing him as well. Let us not forget that Arya was in KL when Jaime attacked her father and killed Jory Cassel. Perhaps Arya secretly hoped that Jaime was like Meryn Trant and would respond to her alluring presence. Thankfully this is the show and Jaime lives, breathes and exists solely for one woman, Cersei. His love for Cersei saved his life. It is very touching actually. Tommen dies because Margaery has died but Jaime lives because he only wants to have sex with Cersei.

The more plausible one:

It was another excuse for Bronn to whine about how sexy Jaime really is and act jealous.

8 hours ago, Sir Loin Steak said:

Conversations Cheryl must have had prior to the finale:

On tailoring.

Tailor: Your grace, I have prepared some dress designs for the, erm, trial. They emphasise your humility while also projecting a quiet strength. Would you care to...
Cheryl: These won't do at all. I require an outfit that projects villainy. I'm thinking a combination of militaristic with dominatrix, it should look remarkably uncomfortable and impractical.
Tailor: (gulps) I see...
Cheryl: Oh and that assistant girl you had, the one who took my measurements last time. Tell her  I've forgiven her, and that I'd like her to attend my trial.
Tailor: (studiously avoiding making eye-contact with Cheryl's sloshing glass of wine) Very well your grace.

On timed detonations.

Qyburn: Your grace, we must exercise extreme caution with the casks of wildfire, the slightest mistake could result in a premature detonation.
Cheryl: Tsk. Men that's always what you think about isn't it?
Qyburn: I'm sorry your grace? I'm concerned about how we safely detonate the wildfire.
Cheryl: Isn't it obvious? (picks up a lit candle) Just use one of these as a timer.
Qyburn: You want me to place an open flame in a puddle of wildfire?
Cheryl: Oh, oh, oh, and have one of the children lure Lancel down there just in time to see it happen!
Qyburn: How are we...? What if he puts out the candle?
Cheryl: Seven save me! Have one of the children stab him in the leg.
Qyburn: May I remind your grace that Lancel was a trained knight before his conversion? He's also usually attended with a small band of Faith Militant thugs too, I'm not sure how we can lure him off on his own. Wouldn't it be easier if...
Cheryl: Bored now.

On protecting Tommen.

Qyburn: Your grace, the King is a sweet boy, I fear this plan may cause him considerable upset.
Cheryl: Over that skank? He's (mumbles inaudibly) years old, he'll get over it. I'll find him another.
Qyburn: Yes, well... Might we at least move him to the opposite side of the Red Keep? His rather large window directly faces the Sept of Baelor. There might even be a small risk of shrapnel.
Carol: Qyburn my children are all that matters to me.
Cheryl: There's no way he's missing mommy's firework show!

On Pycelle:

Qyburn: The next item on your plan is to “Stabby, stabby, stinky old maester!” I'm not sure exactly who you're referring to here?
Cheryl: Pycelle.
Qyburn: He'll be attending the trial anyway, your grace. Also, the man is a Lannister loyalist, and I've received no reports to suggest otherwise...
Cheryl: He farted in my presence.
Qyburn: That was unfortunate, but he is rather old and Gregor is rather impressively frightening (smiles over at his handiwork).
Cheryl: He farted, he dies.
Qyburn: As you wish your grace, but why not just let him go to the trial like the others?
Cheryl: Qyburn, if there's one thing everyone can agree on it's that I love children. They should be a part of this. Having a small pack of children stab the stinky old man to death symbolises me standing up to the patriarchy, it's very empowering.
Qyburn: I... see your grace. I better go stock up on candy.

This made my day! :rofl:

4 hours ago, rosehustle1 said:

Isn't it sad how we can't even seem to enjoy a good piece of literature anymore without trying to enforce our own moral code upon it? This is an imaginary fantasy world with its own set of rules and moral code. Yes some of the stuff in there is appalling, like the incest, women's rights etc. but so what? It is just a freakin story, let us enjoy the damn story which by the way, is set in a different world and a different period and will in no way affect our reality. 

Then there is a also the hypocrisy which appalls me, where there are some who are so fanatical about their stance on feminism that they actually end up condoning murder and genocide.  Really? Is that what feminism stands for today? 

Gross, I won't read the Mary Sue article.

Sandra was obsessed with rape revenge (after losing her own story, the rape was absurdly contrived, it's like she had an appointment to be raped, and kept it) to the extent she risked and cost the lives of her brothers and many others, using one brother to manipulate the other. 

And never shed a tear when he died, just smirked and became like the psycho pimp and the psycho who raped her. Never expressed concerns for all of their victms, including her own family, just herself, and let them turn her into them. It was all about her, and it still is.

She let the man who pimped her out to be raped manipulate her to betray her family yet again, and played right into his hands, and revealed her vulnerability, when she could have been smart, and taken him out early, and claimed the Vale troops, which were there for her, from the start.

Then she sulked because the North chose to pass on stupid selfish family betraying Littlefinger-controlled Sandra Bolton to lead them. And chose the loyal Jon Snow, who has battle and leadership experience, and would never in a million years betray his family.

And then there are the other mad queens, or wanna be queens, who murder and torture and betray, all the while denying their own humanity, and for all the women on top jive, rely on others to tell them what to do. And Brienne, who grovels to Sandra.

Also "women on top" is ironic, since the storylines these men chose for them stripped the women of the positive expressions of sexuality that were in the books. Sandra loses a love story/gets a rape story instead. Dany denies her desires for political gain. Asha loses a love story/fucks a slave. Brienne loses a love story/grovels...

Anyway which Northern Houses are actually left? The major houses all betrayed the Starks and presumably lost most of their forces in the recent battle. Umbers, Karstarks, Manderly, Bolton.. Wasn't the only House on Jon and Sansa's side Mormont? And I doubt they entered the battle with 60+ soldiers and came out with 60+ again.. 

4 hours ago, rosehustle1 said:

Well, I think it is because the majority of the feminist movement (including the most vocal part) is so hungry for representation that will embrace everything that seems to support them, no matter how cheap and badly done, like the characters with "bad ass moments" and "empowered speech". They don't realize that the problem with women characters in movies, books and tv is the lack of effort. The majority of the writers are men and write female characters is not the most easy thing for them, so they create fewer female characters and, in general, don't invest so much in them. And is too easy to do what D&D did, a loud superficial and amateurish attempt of "girl powers", that demand so little energy that they mass-produced it in the show.

Just look to the books and the show. George gave us a great diversity of female characters: Catelyn, Cersei, Sansa, Arya, Brienne, Asha, Daenerys; each one with their own flavor. In the show, all these women are basically the same character. 

Why the hell is LF walking around in the first place. Sandra told Jon he sold her to the Boltons. He should at minimum be in chains. The Vale troops belong to Sandra's cousin, not LF. Bronze Yohn tried to accuse LF himself, so he certainly won't mind.

And LF framed her for regicide, he put a price on her head, then kidnapped her, forced himself on her, killed her aunt, pimped her out to family killers... And that's what she knows... Surely they can piece together much of the rest, he's a Lannister toady.

Now there will be a plot that LF manipulates Sandra once again, and she takes down Jon, then says sorry! YAWN. When Jon should have thrown him in irons. And given Sandra a mission, so she can't cause any more trouble for the Starks.

How about be nice to Sweetrobin for a change. Try not to slap and sneer at the one who has all of those troops that he just sent to save her.

4 hours ago, Danelle said:

The Sand Snakes and Ellaria did not merely destroyed the Martells.

At least it can be argued that Cersei has lost her sanity after the imprisonment and the deaths of Joffrey and Myrcella and she killed people who threatened her and they had proved how powerful they were.

But Ellaria stabbed to death Doran, a man on a wheelchair and the snakes killed their cousin.

Neither of them had ever wronged them.

This is plain evil, Gregor Clegane level of cruelty and LF level of political ambition.

And it is cowardice, a fine, pure act of cowardice.

The worst part for me is that online newspapers simply accept what sites like Mary Sue claim and write articles about how girl power has finally won and that GOT is no longer misogynistic and that Sansa finally did something. 

I can't get my head around why anyone would consider that the murder of a Prince who was trying to keep his subjects safe from war and two children are somehow positive things, and blows for womens' rights.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Gross, I won't read the Mary Sue article.

Sandra was obsessed with rape revenge (after losing her own story, the rape was absurdly contrived, it's like she had an appointment to be raped, and kept it) to the extent she risked and cost the lives of her brothers and many others, using one brother to manipulate the other. 

And never shed a tear when he died, just smirked and became like the pshycho pimp and the psycho who raped her. Never expressed concerns for all of their victms, including her own family, just herself, and let them turn her into them. It was all about her, and it still is.

She let the man who pimped her out to be raped manipulate her to betray her family yet again, and played right into his hands, and revealed her vulnerability, when she could have been smart, and taken him out early, and claimed the Vale troops, which were there for her, from the start.

Then she sulked because the North chose to pass on stupid selfish family betraying Littlefinger-controlled Sandra Bolton to lead them. And chose the loyal Jon Snow, who has battle and leadership experience, and would never in a million years betray his family.

And then there are the other mad queens, or wanna be queens, who murder and torture and betray, all the while denying their own humanity, and for all the women on top jive, rely on others to tell them what to do. And Brienne, who grovels to Sandra.

Also "women on top" is ironic, since the storylines these men chose for them stripped the women of the positive expressions of sexuality that were in the books. Sandra loses a love story/gets a rape story instead. Dany denies her desires for political gain. Asha loses a love story/fucks a slave. Brienne loses a love story/grovels...

Really, they're stripped of any kind of humanity in the Show.  For example, Khal Moro (by Dothraki lights) treated Daenerys decently.  She had no intention of negotiating with him, or the other Khals in good faith, and went into the temple planning to murder them all, and take control of their armies.  Then we get her "motivational" speech, in which she urges the Dothraki to slaughter her enemies.  Then she tells Daario, not just her lover but also someone who's proved very competent and loyal and risked his life for her, essentially to get lost.  Finally, she's bringing a horde to Westeros for the purely selfish goal of conquering one kingdom, when she already has a powerful kingdom in the East.

Archived