Exercise and Fitness - Olympic spirit!

baxus

Previous thread has reached page 21, so we'll need a new one soon and there's no time like the present. And I think it's fitting that we're starting a new thread on the day of the Olympics Opening Ceremony. :D 

Nothing to report from my side other than that my abs are sore from Wednesday's workout.

I've been feeling a bit drained over the last couple of weeks, a lot of early starts at work combined with scrum heavy training sessions with not a lot of second rows attending, but I've managed to keep up with my runs on the days I don't have training sessions for rugby so that's a positive.

I am looking forward to next week though, we've got an opposed training session against another local club on Tuesday, which tends to be a bit more fun and then we're having a session run by the England defence coach Paul Gustard on Thursday, which should be pretty interesting.

Today was a really good upper body session of bench press, pull downs, etc.  back to PB level on bench press and back to usual weight (which is also a PB) on pull downs.  I felt a tweak in my right lat all morning beforehand, but I was careful with form and it wasn't aggravated at all in the workout. 

This evening was a lower body session of squats, deadlifts and calf press.  My first time back with barbell squats in a couple of weeks.  It went great. 

I notice that doing the one-legged lunge squats leaves the stabilizer muscles sore, which barbell squats cannot target even if they require more power from the central quadriceps and glutes.  

Ughh, just need to vent. I'm thinking of giving up running entirely. I cannot find a single pair of shoes that fit and I'm sick and tired of just gritting my teeth and accepting a bad fit. It's frustrating as fuck. Every single "wide" shoe out there is still way too narrow on me. I've tried going barefoot and it didn't work for me long term. I've tried minimalist shoes but they're still too narrow. It shouldn't be this bloody hard to find one goddamn pair of shoes that actually fits.

We did Helen today (I hate the idea of naming workouts, but whatever), which is 3 rounds of 400 m run, 21 kettle bell swings, and 12 pullups.  This is one of the few workouts that I am decently suited for, and managed to finish towards the front of the pack, which basically never happens for me. I really like the group I work out with (it skews older, so not many obnoxious early 20 somethings), and am bummed that I'll be having to find a new gym when I move next week.

4 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Ughh, just need to vent. I'm thinking of giving up running entirely. I cannot find a single pair of shoes that fit and I'm sick and tired of just gritting my teeth and accepting a bad fit. It's frustrating as fuck. Every single "wide" shoe out there is still way too narrow on me. I've tried going barefoot and it didn't work for me long term. I've tried minimalist shoes but they're still too narrow. It shouldn't be this bloody hard to find one goddamn pair of shoes that actually fits.

I'm sure you can order custom shoes. My dad had really wide feet and could never get anything that fit him off the rack.

Did front squats yesterday and I'm definitely feeling muscles in my back today. :) 

Other than that, we did 3 rounds of 10 ring rows, 10 burpees (I hate them so much) and 10 box jumps (got stuck with the biggest box we have) immediately followed by 2 rounds of 15 wall balls and 15 atomic sit-ups. Had no problems with the first 3 rounds, but wall balls atomic sit-ups wrecked me completely. After I was done I was lying on a mat, exhausted, catching my breath.

That's what I like about crossfit - the moment you start to think you're getting it, you get a workout that shows you how unfit you still are. I need motivation like that. :D 

Over 3 weeks now of not running, and haven't seen any improvement in my heels. I'm pretty sure it's plantar fasciitis, and I'm worried it may never go away. Ordered some foot wraps and insoles to see if that can help before I cave and go to the doctor. I miss running. :(

Yesterday evening, after two days off for work distraction & travel plus little sleep, I got back to the gym for an upper body session of shoulde press, pull ups, etc.  it went well but at the level of two weeks ago rather than last week's PB.  And I'm feeling some wrist strain on pull-ups -- I wish I had rings rather than a barbell. 

More travel today, from 5am to ~9pm.  So probably not back in the gym until Saturday.  A heavy schedule of midweek travel, especially with very early wake times, just ruins my midweek exercise. 

11 hours ago, Starkess said:

I'm pretty sure it's plantar fasciitis, and I'm worried it may never go away. 

Starkess, from what I hear from fellow runners, it's quite common and quite painful condition, but it's not very serious and fully curable. Strangely enough, at least three different persons, including a physiotherapist, told me, that the most efficient and quickest way to get rid of it is... changing your running shoes. Apparently it doesn't even matter if you switch to the shoes with more amortisation or the opposite, to minimalist shoes, it just has to be different from the ones you've been using so far. Physiotherapist also said you don't have to quit running completely while suffering it, it should be enough to lessen the burden (like running slower and for shorter distances). Good luck!

Feel super lazy right now.... had to skip classes most of last week because I scraped the shit out of my leg during softball, only to do it even worse at my last game on Monday.  Still healing, but it hurts to even wear pants, much less workout.  Girlfriend gets back from Tokyo on Saturday, so hopefully I'm healed enough by Sunday to start getting into classes again.  

Enjoyed a couple glasses of St Arnold's Art Car IPA last night. Liked it so much I picked up a six pack tonight to welcome in the new week (its best poured into a glass of course). Dilemma is I've booked a Crossfit class at 5:30am tomorrow and I've only finished 2 of the pack. Oh well, I know what I'm enjoying with breakfast tomorrow then.  

Edit: FYI, I'm on holiday so I don't usually prepare for a workout this way :)

Back at it today with an entire week of working out planned along with getting back onto my diet.  Today and Wednesday hot flow classes, Tuesday Thursday barre, and 3-4 classes planned for Sat & Sun.  Leg is still torn up from softball, but I should still be able to put in 90%.

On 11 August 2016 at 4:01 AM, Starkess said:

Over 3 weeks now of not running, and haven't seen any improvement in my heels. I'm pretty sure it's plantar fasciitis, and I'm worried it may never go away. Ordered some foot wraps and insoles to see if that can help before I cave and go to the doctor. I miss running. :(

I took a year off running. 

(The pain – excruciating! –  was completely gone after months; insoles – custom-made after seeing a doctor – worked very well and had immediate effect.) Never had a problem again. 

Find some other sport now.

Yesterday evening was barbell squats, deadlifts and calf press.  It was a tough workout.  My squats & deadlifts are still at 220lbs and 250lbs, well below the 270lbs and 300lbs I was doing back in May.  All the summer disruptions, plus now alternating with lunge squat sessions, has set me back on these heavy lifts.

That's three consecutive days of workout, plus a trip to the driving range in the middle too.  I'd like to workout again tonight but I think I have a heavy dinner waiting for me at home and that's always a big obstacle.

Pull-ups are still out of my grasp. I can make one set of five but after that I'm lucky if I get 2-3 unassisted pull-ups and the rest of them are assisted.

Still, it's an ongoing project and it's still on schedule ;) 

I made it four consecutive days and did shoulder press, pull-ups, etc last night.  Great workout although the gym was unusually busy.  Terrible sleep afterward.  I have a dinner tonight with a client so an enforced rest night.

Baxus - I would have thought that a background in rowing would prepare your lats for pull-ups?  Obviously not the same motion but similar enough, no?

Archived