urrutiap

Reading Feast for Crows for the 2nd time. Ive noticed something

4 posts in this topic

Im a casual fan of the whole Game of Thrones books and Ive re-read Feast for Crows and up to page 287.

Seriously I think George Martin was running out of story and ideas etc for the characters.  Frankly. Im now bored of Cerci and Jamie lusting for each oather again and then there's Brienne who's completely useless not only as a woman but as a woman whos trying to prove to men and women etc that she's innocent and a knight. Getting on my nervies since the third book.

Casual fan here?  If you say so. ;)

I'm actually rereading it too.  No idea what page I'm on as I'm reading the kindle addition but can only disagree.  Cersie's chapters show how crazy and paranoid she is. Jamie's show a counterpoint to Cersie. I enjoy his chapters but hate reading hers. 

Mad for Brienne... I'm really not sure what you mean by "useless as a woman".    

Feast is a diversion in the narrative, to be sure, and it relies on all-new (or mostly new) POVs, but there is a lot of backstory in there and revelations about the past that are helpful in figuring out the present.

If you want a crisp, tight plot, by all means don't read Martin.

On 9/20/2016 at 5:02 PM, John Suburbs said:

Feast is a diversion in the narrative, to be sure, and it relies on all-new (or mostly new) POVs, but there is a lot of backstory in there and revelations about the past that are helpful in figuring out the present.

If you want a crisp, tight plot, by all means don't read Martin.

I think his first three books had a crisp, tight plot, there wasn't much fat in there.  If you look at the books the first three were released in a consistent time frame of every 2 years.  It's no coincidence AFFC and ADWD took 5 and 6 years respectively, he got distracted and went way off the path of his original plot ideas.

On 9/16/2016 at 9:23 AM, Lurid Jester said:

Jamie's show a counterpoint to Cersie. I enjoy his chapters but hate reading hers. 

Agreed.  When I turn the page and see her name I groan every time.  The only person more annoying than her is Ygritte through Jon's POV chapters where every single freakin line is "you know nothing Jon Snow."