Football: Sheikh your Money Maker

Nas!

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Southampton so need a proper holdup striker. 32 minutes of this game, they've been all over Chelsea for 31.5 of them, yet they're still 1-0 down and not really threatened Cortois in goal. They need a focal point up front badly, preferably someone who can score a bit too. A Deeney or Ulloa at least.

I've heard this Italian player, Graziano Pelle, is quite good at that. Maybe they should look at signing him.

I'm very good this season at picking wrong points to do stuff. Today I was on a plane for our game against West Ham.. Still, happy we win. We needed both a clean sheet and a win following the last results. All in all, a good day.

On 29-10-2016 at 7:27 PM, Consigliere said:

Can't fault our performance. Had Zlatan's finishing not been so poor we could easily be six points better off. Ideally Mourinho would drop him but having already dropped Rooney, I don't think Mou is comfortable with having the two biggest personalities in the squad sitting on the bench. Mourinho must be praying that one or both of them find some form.

I don't think there is any reason to even consider benching Zlatan.

What does concern me a bit is the fact that he has been an excellent goalscorer every single season at 4 years of PSG and now its harder. Probably because the league is tougher yeah, but also because the team isn't flowing well, for lack of a better term.

All that said, United could not have been more dominant yesterday and deserved a 5-0 win. The gap is now becoming quite substantial.

16 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

What does concern me a bit is the fact that he has been an excellent goalscorer every single season at 4 years of PSG and now its harder. Probably because the league is tougher yeah,

In his entire career before moving to PSG, Zlatan only scored more than 17 league goals a season twice (in his last year at both Milan clubs). It's definitely because the league is tougher, and he's older now than when he was popping in around 15 on the regular.

Honestly, he should consider dropping him and putting Rashford central. The problem is that when he's not scoring he's not contributing very much else (which is new for Zlatan, who was always a good creative forward).

23 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Other than him not playing well at all for several games in a row? I probably wouldn't actually bench him yet but there's definitely some basis to at least consider going with a bit more pace and mobility through the middle with Rashford or maybe Martial.

Unless we've made a transfer for Ronaldo that I've missed, I don't see anyone remotely able to back him up.

Aside from that, I have great faith in him. He's not the problem here, and I'm not even sure he's part of the problem.

He will start scoring goals sooner rather than later. He's not the person fans should be looking at to replace.

He played some fine games at the start and people were raving. Now suddenly he's in a slump with the rest of the team and he should be replaced by...... Rashford, who is alread y playing anyway and can play alongside him just fine. Or Martial, who Mourinho seems to have forgotten all about.

In my ideal line-up, Rashford and Martial both play alongside Zlatan, from the wings. This will work for the best but we have hardly seen Mounrinho do this. Lingaard back to the bench. Pogba, Mata and one of Herrera/Schneiderlin/Carrick as the 3rd midfielder is what seems best to me. In some games that 3rd player could be Fellaini.

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

In his entire career before moving to PSG, Zlatan only scored more than 17 league goals a season twice (in his last year at both Milan clubs). It's definitely because the league is tougher, and he's older now than when he was popping in around 15 on the regular.

It doesn't seem as if age is any factor yet, as everybody at the club seems to be testifying as well. He popped in 38 league goals in 31 appearances for PSG last year, at age 34.

33 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Only that he has been consistently fluffing great chances in nearly every game. While our attacking play has been patchy, the team has created numerous good goal scoring opportunities for him. These misses are really starting to add up and has cost us a good few points already. In saying that, as I mentioned previously, I don't see Mourinho dropping both Zlatan and Rooney. If Zlatan is dropped then expect Rooney to be recalled to the starting XI.

1 minute ago, Calibandar said:

He played some fine games at the start and people were raving.

I wasn't. He started the season not doing anything but scoring goals, and that just about justified his inclusion because we have been struggling for goals through the team. Now he's not doing anything and not scoring goals, there's really no reason not to replace him, at least temporarily, with someone who will do something.

I have no idea why so many people are so insistent on benching Lingard asap when he's so frequently one of our more effective players.

If there is a way to include Lingaard and have Martial and Rashford in the team, I'm not opposed to him starting.

38 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

. If Zlatan is dropped then expect Rooney to be recalled to the starting XI.

A frightening thought, and more support for my argument that there is no one remotely in competiton with Zlatan for that starting spot. 

26 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

A frightening thought, and more support for my argument that there is no one remotely in competiton with Zlatan for that starting spot. 

I wouldn't say that there is no one remotely in contention for the place. Rashford could start at #9 with Martial on the left (or vice versa) and Lingard on the right (or Mkhitaryan if he ever gets a look in). Not that this is likely to happen. Zlatan is a guaranteed starter for the foreseeable future. We can only hope that he gets back into goal scoring form. While I'd like a switch to 4-3-3, Mourinho is clearly adamant on playing with a #10 and that spot must go to Mata based on his performances.

I'm happy for Utd to persist with Zlatan, Rooney and Fellaini and become a midtable team.  If I cared about them developing positively, I'd have Pogba and Mkhitaryan as narrow forwards on either side of Mata at #10 behind Martial as striker.  Herrera and Schneiderlin would be the midfield two in the 4-2-3-1 and rely on full-backs for overlapping width.  Rashford would be a back-up for Martial.  The PL is has tilted toward fast, skillful attackers to combat better organized defenses.  Zlatan, Rooney and Fellaini will slow down the attack too much.  The goals they do score/create are outweighed by the ones they prevented ever happening but you can't see those. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Rashford would be a back-up for Martial. 

Rashford, at this stage, is better than Martial. Especially down the middle.

My ideal formation would be Pogba, Herrera and Schneiderlin in midfield, Rashford up front and any two of Mkhitaryan, Martial, Mata and Lingard flanking him.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

My ideal formation would be Pogba, Herrera and Schneiderlin in midfield, Rashford up front and any two of Mkhitaryan, Martial, Mata and Lingard flanking him.

I find I agree with you on most things, polish, but I don't rate Ander Herrera nearly as highly as do you.  Moves the ball well, yes, but I think he's a bit soft and a bit lazy to be playing centrally. 

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

A line-up which would be seriously lacking in goals IMO.

Definitely better to play Zlatan.

19 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

A line-up which would be seriously lacking in goals IMO.

Definitely better to play Zlatan.

And that would be different from their current lineup, how exactly? :P

The imaginary line-up of your dreams always works better than the one in reality on the field.

Until it actually gets played by the manager, and then doesn't work either.

I for one would certainly not drop the man who scored 38 league goals last season, especially not when the rest of the squad has no less than zero proven goalscorers.

Archived