Football: Sheikh your Money Maker

Nas!

@Notone

I don't have details to hand but there have been cases in the past when players who claimed an injury were required to travel for evaluation by the national team before they were released or over-ruled, situations where players were fielded despite carrying an injury they reported (or Sturridge forced to do training he knew he couldn't tolerate), and instances of club suspensions for players who refused to play for a new national team manager.  Ireland's national team alone has had problems like this over the years, especially because there's only a small viable pool of players and they are pressured to play no matter what.  

But I said that I know most players want to play for their national team.  Especially the selecao.  The question is why FIFA can self-appoint their games as the highest priority.  Why can they legally do that?  Why can the English FA require PL clubs to release players to the national team?  Who gave them that mandate and authority.  It flows unquestioned from an amateur era when international matches were the prestigious pinnacle of the game.  

And my foundation complaint is that whether or not players are playing for their  national team, the current system of sprinkling international games during the club season does a disservice to everyone. 

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I'm wondering now why it's even legal.  Outside of national defense, why can citizens be compelled to abandon their family and livelihood for a command performance that puts them at risk?

Truly, this is the greatest injustice of our times.

Why is it legal? Because they're the governing body of the sport so they say what goes in that sport.

I'm sure that in fact the situation was as you picture it here, players being brutally coerced into danger to life and limb, crying before they go on the pitch, that sort of thing, somebody would take it to court and the court would refuse to allow it. But that's not what happens and you know it. (With the exception of some dictatorships, anyway.) What actually happens is that players who don't want to play for their country, don't get called up. But they're a tiny minority anyway. Almost every player does want to play.

What you're really complaining about isn't the poor victimised players but the poor victimised clubs. I have little sympathy.

Man Utd should be winning today. Not becauseI like them but their record against Arsenal and especially at home + also Jose seems to have talent for beating Wenger's Arsenal. Only victory at Old Traford was back when Wellbeck scored the winner.

Btw for Man Utd fans, how do you rate Jose so far?

On 17. 11. 2016 at 2:57 PM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Klopp gave a very good answer about the Rooney thing.Stupid questions from the press as usual.

True. Still remember the qurstion after SB victory last season, when someone asked him about title.

I'm counting the days until Wenger is gone. He goes into this game by putting Ramsey in a position that he cannot play, sets up the midfield with Elneny/Coquelin when Xhaka was our best player against Spurs and benches one of our most influential players in Iwobi. Fine. I get that. But instead of making any changes while United dominates us for 35 minutes of the 2nd half, he waits until after they score as usual. It's this type of passive management that leads to loses or late draws and it drives me nuts to no end.

ETA: Absolutely no reason Elneny should have played, Giroud didn't come on in the 60th minute, Ramsey is still on the pitch and Iwobi/Chamberlain are still on the bench. It's just terrible management.

Disappointing result. Arsenal will be much the happier side. We bossed most of that game only to concede with the oppositions only shot on target. Overall though that was a very encouraging performance especially after all the negative press. It's clear that the players are still prepared to play for the manager. Given all the problems with injuries/players falling out of favour in our defence, our backline was quite good for the most part.

The thing I'll say about United though is while they had the better opportunities, I never felt them insanely dangerous. There were two - three chances, sure, but nothing that I would consider world domination. Feel like Arsenal played like shit more than United played great. We certainly stole a point but if I was United, not sure how encouraged I'd truly be.

18 hours ago, mormont said:

What you're really complaining about isn't the poor victimised players but the poor victimised clubs. I have little sympathy.

No, I'm complaining on behalf of fans, who mostly care more about club football than international.  Not only is the club season interrupted, the following club games are lower quality too.  Plenty of sluggish games today. 

I'm starting to become a bit worried about Jagielka. Conceded another penalty today - that's his third this season - and he most certainly was at fault for it, losing Sigurdsson easily.

We also need to work on our finishing, it seems. Better chances and more of them than Swansea - though not very many - and we miss them all - except for our right back.

11 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Well, Klopp fucked that one up.

It seems he's yet another manager who can't accept that his plan A isn't working and make changes with enough time for them to actually have a chance to work.

Klopp has always been essentially a more hyperactive Wenger. This includes the flaws as well as the positives.

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

Well, Klopp fucked that one up.

It seems he's yet another manager who can't accept that his plan A isn't working and make changes with enough time for them to actual have a chance to work.

That's a bit harsh. It's not like Liverpool failed to create chances, it was more like them being unable to put them away.

Can, Coutinho, Firimino etc. The game could have easily ended 1-0 in Liverpool's favour.

Archived