Football: Sheikh your Money Maker

Nas!

So, thoughts on that first half:

Not too bad overall. Griffiths and Hanley both had opportunities they should've done better with, but to be frank I've never rated either of them so there was some level of 'knew it' when they both messed up. Anya at right-back isn't great defensively but is there to be an additional attacker really. England look pretty ordinary but took their chance well.

And finally, that brown shoes/blue suit combo that Southgate is wearing is hideous.

3-0. Ugh. Well, I predicted 2-0 to my son.

Poor second half from us, the first five minutes aside. Lee Wallace ball-watching at the third goal. Three totally uninspiring substitutions by the manager. Seriously, 3-0 down with an hour to go and you bring on... James MacArthur? A fine player, but what's he going to do in that situation?

Oh well.

Very ordinary from England, but all Scotland ever created was in the first ten minutes of either half when they pressed England high up or from mistakes in possession. Stones was receiving a lot of criticism for that but was often given no assistance or horror passes to deal with from Rooney. Strachan not even bringing Burke off the bench seemed an odd decision, but he'll probably not have the chance to make any more mistakes if rumours are to be believed.

30 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Two headed goals from Sturridge and Lallana?  That just sounds wrong. 

You have to bear in mind that our central defence was Grant Hanley and Christophe Berra. Now I like Berra but even his granny would have to admit he's a middling Championship defender and Hanley can't get a game at Newcastle.

The heck of it is, they are not exactly keeping better players out of the team.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

You have to bear in mind that our central defence was Grant Hanley and Christophe Berra. Now I like Berra but even his granny would have to admit he's a middling Championship defender and Hanley can't get a game at Newcastle.

The heck of it is, they are not exactly keeping better players out of the team.

If our players are concussed from the shock of unfamiliar cranial contact with the ball then I'm blaming you. 

Lallana injured playing in a stupid international friendly, just days after playing a full game in the actual qualifying match.  He rarely ever finishes 90 minutes for us, and definitely doesn't play twice in three days.  It's not quite as bad as Hodgson with Sturridge, but why is it ok for international managers to (ab)use players like this?  They have no consequences: Lallana will be recovered long before the next England game.

With Coutinho probably very tired after two full games for Brazil and long flight back to Liverpool arriving ~60 hours before our next game, it looks like we'll have to chop and change again.  This is how United got a draw off us last time.

Well, let's give Southgate the benefit of the doubt, and the plan was to play Lallana for 45 mins today. So not two full games. That he managed to pick up an injury within the first 30 minutes is tough luck for Liverpool. And it's kinda hard to fault Southgate for wanting to see how his team fares against one of the strongest opponents. 

As for Coutinho and Firmino. Those 60 hour travels are simply part of the deal when you sign South Americans. When they are or develop into key players for their sides, they will have to do those travels. Same with the African players, who will be gone early next year to play the African Cup of Nations. Liverpool knew Mane would (probably) be gone, when they signed him. 

It wasn't Southgate to blame for that. You can criticise Thiago for making a cynical challenge that was unnecessarily physical for a friendly, but Lallana was playing very well and looked pretty fresh beforehand, so it was hardly like a muscular injury due to being overworked.

Seems that England are set up to play one way only, but that way could be incredibly successful. We just need to be only ever face the better sides so that we can sit back and defend and then hit them on the counter. The problem we've had recently is there are so many low level teams clogging up the system, and we can't find a way to beat them as we rely on pace and directness to score goals.. not viable when teams park the bus.

We'll also need to keep our concentration when defending.

On 11/6/2016 at 10:08 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Hey LooN, seems like ages since I saw you here.  I hope you're doing well. 

Cheers, I am! Been in somewhat lurky mode lately.

In other Canadian news, the conference final between Toronto FC and Montreal Impact is close to selling out. Could possibly top the all-time attendance record in Canada for footie.

It looks like Coutinho and Lallana are out for this game.  Stupid, f**cking international matches: interrupting the club season, players getting injured, the international teams themselves are ridiculously disjointed from playing only here and there in short spells.  It's a terrible system.  Even before Wazza stumbled drunkenly into a wedding reception.

I'm wondering now why it's even legal.  Outside of national defense, why can citizens be compelled to abandon their family and livelihood for a command performance that puts them at risk?  I know most players want to play for their country still (but that has to be ebbing) but any who are selected but don't want to play or think they are unfit have to still report to the national team or receive a FIFA-imposed club suspension.  It's pretty corrupt that FIFA assigns itself the power to prioritize the competition that produces its revenue. 

44 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It looks like Coutinho and Lallana are out for this game.  Stupid, f**cking international matches: interrupting the club season, players getting injured, the international teams themselves are ridiculously disjointed from playing only here and there in short spells.  It's a terrible system.  Even before Wazza stumbled drunkenly into a wedding reception.

I'm wondering now why it's even legal.  Outside of national defense, why can citizens be compelled to abandon their family and livelihood for a command performance that puts them at risk?  I know most players want to play for their country still (but that has to be ebbing) but any who are selected but don't want to play or think they are unfit have to still report to the national team or receive a FIFA-imposed club suspension.  It's pretty corrupt that FIFA assigns itself the power to prioritize the competition that produces its revenue. 

Wow, hang in there. I can recall exactly one player to have ever been called up against his will. And that was Makelele ten years ago, when Domenech called him up after his retirement. It's really the players that want to play for their nations. And they have a diverse set of reasons behind it. Patriotism is one thing, increasing their market(ing) value is another - don't underestimate the financial boon the yellow selecao jersey is. If the players really didn't want to play, they would/could get out of it. Usually a simple no, is sufficient, or if you want to spice it up, put forward some phony medical reason, like I picked up a knock or a strained muscle. Nothing to serious obviously. In case of utmost needs, they can probably run to their club docs and ask for a sick note. If Coutinho and Firmino bailed on the Brazilian team, it would probably mean they would not get to play in Russia in two years. And that's the big stage everyone wants to play on. 

Wait till January, when Mane will probably be on his way to play in Africa, while Matip will probably stay in Liverpool, because the latter doesn't really care for the AFCON.

Again, as annoying as it might be for the clubs (especially with internationals form another continent), they knew international call ups are on the cards with their key players.

Archived