Tyrion's Condition

One-eyed Misbehavin

9 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Is it possible that Tyrion does not have it because dragons don't get sick. Sigh, I know I am stepping in that crackpot hidden dragon territory here, but, maybe there is something to it??? I mean, if Dany was only having her moonblood at the end of Dance, then she could be speaking the truth in this quote. Just a thought.

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys VI

Ser Barristan wrinkled up his nose, and said, "Your Grace should not be here, breathing these black humors."
"I am the blood of the dragon," Dany reminded him. "Have you ever seen a dragon with the flux?" Viserys had oft claimed that Targaryens were untroubled by the pestilences that afflicted common men, and so far as she could tell, it was true. She could remember being cold and hungry and afraid, but never sick.

What about the Great Spring of Sickness? Daeron II Targaryen died during it. Doesn't that debunk what Viserys claimed?

11 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Is it possible that Tyrion does not have it because dragons don't get sick. Sigh, I know I am stepping in that crackpot hidden dragon territory here, but, maybe there is something to it???

Even if that's true, and I don't mind that theory, he could still be a asymptomatic carrier than can still spread it.  After all, Val says Shireen is still a carrier and can infect others even if she is immune from already having it.

1 minute ago, Lifestream said:

What about the Great Spring of Sickness? Daeron II Targaryen died during it. Doesn't that debunk what Viserys claimed?

Yup, You are correct. I forgot about that one.

Wasn't that caused by Bloodraven???:lmao:

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

Yup, You are correct. I forgot about that one.

Wasn't that caused by Bloodraven???:lmao:

I'm not sure to be honest. I looked up the wiki because I was sure there was a Targaryen that died of illness (and true Jahaerys II died, but his illness isn't mentioned by name so I looked up other Targaryens who might have died of an epidemic or something similar since I understood that's what Viserys meant when he said "pestilences that afflicted common men"). Feel free to correct me though if I got it wrong. English isn't my first language.

14 minutes ago, Lifestream said:

I'm not sure to be honest. I looked up the wiki because I was sure there was a Targaryen that died of illness (and true Jahaerys II died, but his illness isn't mentioned by name so I looked up other Targaryens who might have died of an epidemic or something similar since I understood that's what Viserys meant when he said "pestilences that afflicted common men"). Feel free to correct me though if I got it wrong. English isn't my first language.

It was a rumor within the story the Mystery Knight that BR caused the Spring Sickness, and a drought. Someone was spreading those rumors, but I decided to enhance it here :lol:

However, you are correct that a Targ did die of a sickness. A few actually.

Your English is just fine, by the way :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

What in the world does that prove?

By your reckoning, it's not possible for Tyrion to have it because Jon has it?  

We KNOW that JonCon has it, and they were in the same water.  Wouldn't it be MORE likely that Tyrion does have it?  I'm not saying that he does, but your reasoning is a little puzzling to me.

JonCon was in the same water at the same time as Tyrion and he is showing symptoms yet Tyrion is not. Tyrion is pricking himself daily and so far shows no symptoms. This is a book, and a secondary character has it and a primary character does not.  What other proof do you need? It is not in any way more likely that Tyrion has it. 

If Tyrions lungs were turning to stone that would be incredibly painful and obviously he would be showing symptoms such as wheezing or coughing which he is not doing.  Tyrion got lucky plain and simple.

We should also take into consideration the original version where George showed us definitively that Tyrion did not get it because he made the shrouded lord laugh.

Also come on Griffen= a winged beast.

35 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

If Tyrions lungs were turning to stone that would be incredibly painful and obviously he would be showing symptoms such as wheezing or coughing which he is not doing.  Tyrion got lucky plain and simple.

We should also take into consideration the original version where George showed us definitively that Tyrion did not get it because he made the shrouded lord laugh.

Bingo

6 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Is it possible that Tyrion does not have it because dragons don't get sick. Sigh, I know I am stepping in that crackpot hidden dragon territory here, but, maybe there is something to it??? I mean, if Dany was only having her moonblood at the end of Dance, then she could be speaking the truth in this quote. Just a thought.

A Dance with Dragons - Daenerys VI

Ser Barristan wrinkled up his nose, and said, "Your Grace should not be here, breathing these black humors."
"I am the blood of the dragon," Dany reminded him. "Have you ever seen a dragon with the flux?" Viserys had oft claimed that Targaryens were untroubled by the pestilences that afflicted common men, and so far as she could tell, it was true. She could remember being cold and hungry and afraid, but never sick.

6 hours ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

You brought it up, not I.....:D

Yes, as far as I can remember from the text and tWoIaF, the only disease that has afflicted Targaryens is madness.  Can anyone confirm this?

I thought about this as well.  While there are a lot of "ifs" in it.......IF Tyrion is a dragon, and IF dragons are immune to pestilences......BUT I think there is something to it.

Well, a bunch of Targaryens (the King and his two immediate heirs) died in the Great Spring Sickness. So that rules out any general Targaryen resistance to illness. Whether having dragons makes a difference, I have no idea.

Edit: Somebody already pointed this out, doh.

18 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Well, a bunch of Targaryens (the King and his two immediate heirs) died in the Great Spring Sickness. So that rules out any general Targaryen resistance to illness. Whether having dragons makes a difference, I have no idea.

Edit: Somebody already pointed this out, doh.

It's ok. For me it gave a reminder that Dany is not as immune as she/I thought she was. She went riding through the crowds of people sick with the flux... so who knows :dunno: Shit happens ;)

8 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Is it possible that Tyrion does not have it because dragons don't get sick. Sigh, I know I am stepping in that crackpot hidden dragon territory here, but, maybe there is something to it???

People have already mentioned the Great Spring Sickness, but for a more relevant example, Maegelle Targaryen, daughter of King Jaehaerys I and Queen Alysanne, is said to have specifically contracted greyscale:

Given to the Faith, Maegelle grew to be a septa known for her compassion and her gift for healing. She was the chief cause of the reconciliation of the Old King and Queen Alysanne in 94 AC, following the Second Quarrel. She nursed children afflicted with greyscale, but she became afflicted with the same illness and died in 96 AC. (TWOIAF)

Nevertheless, I wouldn't rule out Tyrion apparently not contracting greyscale as a literary, rather than in-world, hint that he is a dragon:

When he opened his mouth to curse them all, black water filled his lungs, and the dark closed in around him. (Tyrion V, ADWD)

Tyrion drove the dagger's point into the ball of his thumb, watched the blood bead up, sucked it away. "How long must I continue to torture myself? When will we be certain that I'm clean?"

"Truly?" said the Halfmaester. "Never. You swallowed half the river. You may be going grey even now, turning to stone from inside out, starting with your heart and lungs. If so, pricking your toes and bathing in vinegar will not save you. When you're done, come have some broth." (Tyrion VI, ADWD)

The eyes were where a dragon was most vulnerable. The eyes, and the brain behind them. Not the underbelly, as certain old tales would have it. The scales there were just as tough as those along a dragon's back and flanks. And not down the gullet either. That was madness. These would-be dragonslayers might as well try to quench a fire with a spear thrust. "Death comes out of the dragon's mouth," Septon Barth had written in his Unnatural History, "but death does not go in that way." (Tyrion XI, ADWD)

8 minutes ago, Shmedricko said:

People have already mentioned the Great Spring Sickness, but for a more relevant example, Maegelle Targaryen, daughter of King Jaehaerys I and Queen Alysanne, is said to have specifically contracted greyscale:

Nevertheless, I wouldn't rule out Tyrion apparently not contracting greyscale as a literary, rather than in-world, hint that he is a dragon:

That was really good. I like the Barth quote reference 

4 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

That is awesome either way but if the shroud lord really is Garin that would be an epic conversation 

8 hours ago, Lifestream said:

Dany literally shits herself in ADWD she gets so sick from bad water. I think we can rule out her being immune to stuff like the bloody flux, which is  dysentery (usually) caused by bacteria found in water.

@Lost Melnibonean the quote you included has a key word that hasn't been mentioned in the discussion. Mortal. The mortal form of greyscale starts in the extremities. Regardless of what the half-maester says about how it might progress, Tyrion could in fact have the non-mortal form or greyscale, possibly lying dormant in his body.

5 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

@Lost Melnibonean the quote you included has a key word that hasn't been mentioned in the discussion. Mortal. The mortal form of greyscale starts in the extremities. Regardless of what the half-maester says about how it might progress, Tyrion could in fact have the non-mortal form or greyscale, possibly lying dormant in his body.

But what would be the point of Tyrion having an upset tummy or some other non-mortal malady? 

Archived