U.S. Politics: Courting Trump

Tywin et al.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I give you the early front-runner for Most Kickable Face 2017, Stephen Miller...

So many jokes to be made about Miller, I can't think of a good one. It's like it's right there, but keeps eluding my grasp.

Maybe time keeps slipping into the past? Is he a joker who isn't a toker?

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

The second link is consistent with Dundermifflins interpretation, which is that political affiliation predicts which conspiracies a person tends to believe in.  And that political affiliation by itself does not appear to be correlated with a likelihood of believing in conspiracy theories.  It should be obvious that you can't extrapolate to a general conclusion that Democrats are less likely to believe in conspiracy theories than Republicans based on questions about 4 different conspiracy theories.  You can see that the numbers vary significantly with the specific conspiracy asked about, so it's very likely that if you asked about 4 other conspiracies you'd get very different results.  The poll was never designed to answer that question.  

You point here might be quite meritorious if we didn't know the four questions asked. In that case, we could speculate that perhaps that 3 out of the 4, or all 4, questions asked were "Republican friendly" so to speak, undermining any inference about the differences in the respective parties' propensity to believe in conspiracy theories.

Except, we seemingly do have information about the exact 4 questions asked. And it would seem that 2 were "Democrat Friendly" questions aksked, meaning they would be something that Democrats would be prone to believe in , while the other two were "Republican Friendly", meaning conspiracy theories that Republicans would be prone to believe in.

Look at around page 8.

http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2013/outthere/

Also, seemingly bad for the republicans here is the fact that more political knowledge would seemingly increase the chances of them believing a conspiracy theory, while it is the opposite for Democrats and independents.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/830823988674781184/

DJT - working class hero and man of the people. Just another guy swinging a gold golf club. 

Per Deadspin:

According to The Street’s Brian Sozzi, that’s a $3,755 club that was gifted to Trump by Abe. Standard protocol is for gifts given to the president of the United States to be hustled off to the National Archive, so it’s a little strange to see Trump swinging one around like it was a Christmas present.

One explanation for this might be that Abe actually sent the gift back in November, before Trump was actually president. Another explanation is that Donald Trump is a bird-brained oaf who is obsessed with shiny things and hasn’t stopped thinking about that club since the moment he received it.

Former movement conservative Bruce Bartlett having enough of Faux News:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2604679

The creation of Fox News in 1996 was an event of deep, yet unappreciated, political and historical importance. For the first time, there was a news source available virtually everywhere in the United States, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with a conservative tilt. Finally, conservatives did not have to seek out bits of news favorable to their point of view in liberal publications or in small magazines and newsletters. Like someone dying of thirst in the desert, conservatives drank heavily from the Fox waters. Soon, it became the dominant – and in many cases, virtually the only – major news source for millions of Americans. This has had profound political implications that are only starting to be appreciated. Indeed, it can almost be called self-brainwashing – many conservatives now refuse to even listen to any news or opinion not vetted through Fox, and to believe whatever appears on it as the gospel truth.

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

You point here might be quite meritorious if we didn't know the four questions asked. In that case, we could speculate that perhaps that 3 out of the 4, or all 4, questions asked were "Republican friendly" so to speak, undermining any inference about the differences in the respective parties' propensity to believe in conspiracy theories.

Except, we seemingly do have information about the exact 4 questions asked. And it would seem that 2 were "Democrat Friendly" questions aksked, meaning they would be something that Democrats would be prone to believe in , while the other two were "Republican Friendly", meaning conspiracy theories that Republicans would be prone to believe in.

Look at around page 8.

http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2013/outthere/

Also, seemingly bad for the republicans here is the fact that more political knowledge would seemingly increase the chances of them believing a conspiracy theory, while it is the opposite for Democrats and independents.

That we know the exact 4 questions asked and that 2 are geared towards Democrats and 2 geared towards Republicans doesn't make these 4 questions an accurate representation of the entire set of conspiracy theories.  The question about Obama hiding something in his background is an outlier when compared to the numbers seen in the other questions.  Large number of Republicans believe in that conspiracy, which is not surprising given the timing of the polls (December 2012 in an election where Trump made this conspiracy theory a big deal).  If you throw that question out along with one of the Democrat friendly conspiracy theories, I'd bet that the numbers for the two parties would be about the same.  

If you and others still believe that that bit of polling data proves or provides strong evidence that Republicans believe in conspiracy theories more frequently than Democrats, then apparently no amount of logic is going to convince you otherwise.

President Donald Trump's adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, is involved in a search for candidates to replace Michael Flynn, according to sources close to the administration, even as the president’s senior advisers publicly continue to send mixed signals about the fate of the embattled national security adviser.

“They are trying to figure out the solution to Flynn right now,” said one of the sources. “The problem is they don’t have it yet. They need to get a solution. You can’t have a firing without an immediate replacement. You need a plan.”

White House searching for potential replacements for Flynn
David Petraeus is scheduled to meet with the president this week, sources said.

39 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

That we know the exact 4 questions asked and that 2 are geared towards Democrats and 2 geared towards Republicans doesn't make these 4 questions an accurate representation of the entire set of conspiracy theories.  The question about Obama hiding something in his background is an outlier when compared to the numbers seen in the other questions.  Large number of Republicans believe in that conspiracy, which is not surprising given the timing of the polls (December 2012 in an election where Trump made this conspiracy theory a big deal).  If you throw that question out along with one of the Democrat friendly conspiracy theories, I'd bet that the numbers for the two parties would be about the same.  

If you and others still believe that that bit of polling data proves or provides strong evidence that Republicans believe in conspiracy theories more frequently than Democrats, then apparently no amount of logic is going to convince you otherwise.

You know that is nonsensical. 

45 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Also you could change one of the questions to something along the lines of - do police normally set out and go search for black men to murder - and get a very different result from Democrats.

Just now, Mudguard said:

Well, first, let's remember that the study was first proffered to prove that both parties are equally likely to believe in conspiracy theories. The raw data clearly rejects that.

Now you can say, it proves that what conspiracy theories get believed depends on partisanship. But, really, I don't think most people would dispute that is true to some extent.

The question here is whether the Republican Party is worse in this regard.

I'll admit the study doesn't have the greatest methodology to answer that question and it would be better if had a larger number of questions. Probably even better, would be if it used some kind of time series analysis to see how conspiracy theories evolve over time.

Also, just because a piece of data seems extreme, an "outlier" if you will, it doesn't mean it should be tossed without a really good reason. It does have relevance to answer the question we are seeking. It's relevant to the question "shit Republicans believe and to what extent." So I don't think you can just toss that data point out and just say, "they would be the same.", if it were removed. And I'm not sure I'm buying your reason why so many Republicans believed it at the time the poll was conducted. It seems to me that the theory was well accepted before Trump ever entered the fray. And if your reason for the "outlier" is true, I'm still not sure its a good reason to just delete it out. How Republicans come to believe the stuff they do seems like a different type of inquiry.

The fact that Republicans would believe in such a ridiculous theory, like birtherism, and in such large numbers says a lot about their party. 

Just some polling before 2012:

http://www.politico.com/story/2011/02/51-of-gop-voters-obama-foreign-049554

Fifty-one percent of 400 Republican primary voters surveyed nationwide by Public Policy Polling said they ascribe to the controversial birther conspiracy theory — despite the fact that the state of Hawaii has posted Obama’s certificate of live birth.

This was done 2/11

And besides, this one particular study, there is all kinds of other evidence out there that Republicans are more prone to believing all kinds of dumb shit, more so than Independents or Democrats, like Bengazi, Hillary's emails, climate change denial, shit Trump says, and so on and so forth.

So it isn't just this one study that makes me suspect Republicans are more susceptible to conspiracy theories.

Sure a better constructed empirical study would make me more conformable in asserting that Republicans are more prone in believing in bullshit. But, even without said study, I'm pretty comfortable asserting it.

The Justice Department had warned the White House that Michael Flynn had misled them about communications with the Russians and warned he was susceptible to be blackmailed by the Russians. A story was just released by the Washington Post in the last hour.

Sally Yates, who was the Deputy AG, had a discussion with national security directors, apparently, on the 19th of January, about wanting to go to the Trump WH to warn them. Apparently the FBI said no, but once Flynn started mischaracterizing his conversation with the Russian ambassador, the decision was made that she would tell the White House, in order to prevent the Russians from blackmailing him.  Flynn's statement on the matter was then changed to say he couldn't remember whether or not he discussed sanctions with the Russians.

The WP reporter has said in a CNN interview that the Justice department was surprised the Russians had not retaliated after Obama expelled Russian diplomats, and decided to look into the matter. Phone records of wiretapped conversations were checked and the conversation between Flynn and the ambassador was uncovered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-department-warned-white-house-that-flynn-could-be-vulnerable-to-russian-blackmail-officials-say/2017/02/13/fc5dab88-f228-11e6-8d72-263470bf0401_story.html?utm_term=.91dbe0a05262

Sally Yates, of course, went on to be fired by Trump.

Trumpie's minons lose in court in again, Prez Orange Thing has a sad.   :frown5:

A U.S. federal judge on Wednesday upheld an Obama-era rule designed to avoid conflicts of interests when brokers give retirement advice, in a possible setback for President Donald Trump's efforts to scale back government regulation.

The stinging 81-page ruling comes just days after Trump ordered the Labor Department to review the "fiduciary" rule - a move widely interpreted as an effort to delay or kill the regulation.

The decision by Chief Judge Barbara Lynn for the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas is a stunning defeat for the business and financial services industry groups that had sought to overturn it.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-labor-fiduciary-idUSKBN15N2HF

3 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

So many jokes to be made about Miller, I can't think of a good one. It's like it's right there, but keeps eluding my grasp.

Maybe time keeps slipping into the past? Is he a joker who isn't a toker?

I'd go more early middle ages name play- something something fart in the face and a red-hot poker to the sphincter blah blah something blah.  Make Amorika Groan Again.

Archived