U.S. Politics: The (Debt) Ceiling's the Limit

Yukle

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

But you consistently refuse to acknowledge the alternative, which is sacrifice the people he would have destroyed for the sake of this nebulous PR victory he supposedly 'won' that he then did nothing with anyway. The sacrifices are always being asked of other people and that's fucked.

ETA: You say you're in favour of self defence and defending others - that WAS self defence.

But hang on. Has it ever been proven Milo was going to expose anyone? He called it a fabrication and a lie. 

Plus many of the banners were more concerned with shutting down him views rather than protecting anyone. Seems like most people there simply don't like his views.

But yes; his profile got 100 times bigger as a result. Even if he squandered it all because he's basically a moron with no ablity to debate , it still created him on some level 

He outed a trans woman at a University at a prior speech, who was subsequently harassed into quitting university. So yeah, its a fucking credible threat that it was going to happen, and the right wing troll that lies through his teeth claiming he wasn't going to do it is...not at all credible.

I love how some people here speak like they are authorities on Milo when it's evident they have no clue how he works or what he has done in the past. He is an abusive scumbag who has outed people in the past. He has also harassed people on twitter, which thankfully resulted in his twitter being banned. 

It's clear what posters here are completely clueless as to what the far right is in this country. It's also evident what demographic some of the same posters are apart of, it certainly isn't the targets of Milo, Richard Spencer, Nathan Damigo, David Duke, Jason Kessler etc. 

3 minutes ago, Sword of Doom said:

I love how some people here speak like they are authorities on Milo when it's evident they have no clue how he works or what he has done in the past. He is an abusive scumbag who has outed people in the past. He has also harassed people on twitter, which thankfully resulted in his twitter being banned. 

It's clear what posters here are completely clueless as to what the far right is in this country. It's also evident what demographic some of the same posters are apart of, it certainly isn't the targets of Milo, Richard Spencer, Nathan Damigo, David Duke, Jason Kessler etc. 

I'm very aware of Milo. That doesn't mean I like or respect him. I'm aware of when he was treated fairly and unfairly as well. He gets both treatments.

Ok, people, your missing the peril...yet again.  Potential Category III hurricane (Harvey) approaching the gulf coast, perhaps roughly comparable to Katrina.  Which means major damage and flooding, which means disaster relief and all that goes with it.  Trumps response ought to be interesting.  Given his utter self centeredness, I almost expect a statement along the lines of 'No Trump properties are affected, therefore no need for federal emergency funds.  (Or said funds will be directed mostly towards salvaging Trump holdings.)  And the lack of a FEMA director doesn't help matters.

http://www.knoe.com/content/news/State-of-Emergency-declared-for-entire-state-of-Louisiana-441668543.html

I hope our boarders in the afflicted area have taken suitable precautions.

3 hours ago, Sword of Doom said:

The biggest mistake people are making with regard to Milo, is talking about him in the first place.  If nobody gave this guy any air time, he'd simply fade away.   This thread for example, Is giving him airtime. 

10 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

The biggest mistake people are making with regard to Milo, is talking about him in the first place.  If nobody gave this guy any air time, he'd simply fade away.   This thread for example, Is giving him airtime. 

The guy is a troll and he knows it. I do think he probably has some reasonable views on topics, but has worked out that to really advance himself he needs to dial it up to 110%. He is essentially the left's dream of an Alt-righter because he's almost entirely unlikable and embodies everyhing they imagine a conservative thinks.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

The guy is a troll and he knows it. I do think he probably has some reasonable views on topics, but has worked out that to really advance himself he needs to dial it up to 110%. He is essentially the left's dream of an Alt-righter because he's almost entirely unlikable and embodies everyhing they imagine a conservative thinks.

Ah, the collective used to illustrate the fault in collective characterization. An achievement. 

Back on topic, in my mind's eye there is this kinda narrative being imagined as though, after millennia of just taking shit someone thinks 'Hit...back?' and their fellow sufferers are like 'that's so crazy it might just work!' and we have the dawning of a new age. As though violence vs. violence hadn't been the standard human pattern throughout history and was abandoned exactly because along internal social lines it's outcomes were pretty much always horrible and generally levelled the moral playing field over time. MLK/Gandhi being quoted as 'establishment' was a high point, I must say. If we are getting to the point where words are met with approved violence, can I cast a vote against people citing history they obviously don't know?

3 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Because discussing him on a forum for a defunct book series is what's keeping him from fading away. :rolleyes:

The sheer stupidity being blasted on this forum right now astounds me.  Milo didn't gain popularity because the left talked about him on random forums, but because he gained a following among nazis and white supremacists.  That popularity led to speaking engagements and book deals.  While the left let quietly protested and let him do his 'free speech' thing, he actively harmed people.  Thankfully people wised up and said fuck no to nazis and their mouthpieces and put a stop to that shit.   His star began to rapidly fade after that.  Let's hope folks at Berkeley put a stop to it again next month.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Because discussing him on a forum for a defunct book series is what's keeping him from fading away. :rolleyes:

The sheer stupidity being blasted on this forum right now astounds me.  Milo didn't gain popularity because the left talked about him on random forums, but because he gained a following among nazis and white supremacists.  That popularity led to speaking engagements and book deals.  While the left let quietly protested and let him do his 'free speech' thing, he actively harmed people.  Thankfully people wised up and said fuck no to nazis and their mouthpieces and put a stop to that shit.   His star began to rapidly fade after that.  Let's hope folks at Berkeley put a stop to it again next month.

Well that's not really correct is it

38 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

How about we talk about something a little less less contentious, like how a new analysis shows the number of Bernie--> Trump voters in swing states was greater than Trump's margin of victory over Clinton.

Yeah, I assume you mean this NPR study, it didn't really change my thinking much.  A small percentage of primary voters for one party vote for the other party in the general every time, and this is no exception.  10 percent of Sanders voters switching parties isn't some historical aberration.  From the article:

Schaffner tells NPR that around 12 percent of Republican primary voters (including 34 percent of Ohio Gov. John Kasich voters and 11 percent of Florida Sen. Marco Rubio voters) ended up voting for Clinton. And according to one 2008 study, around 25 percent of Clinton primary voters in that election ended up voting for Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in the general. (In addition, the data showed 13 percent of McCain primary voters ended up voting for Obama, and 9 percent of Obama voters ended up voting for McCain — perhaps signaling something that swayed voters between primaries and the general election, or some amount of error in the data, or both.)  

So we're actually looking at an unusually low number of defections compared to what Trump had in 2016, Obama had in 2008 or McCain had in 2008.  In addition, the portrait of the Sanders-Trump voter is one who generally disapproved of Obama's performance and about half don't feel that white people have advantages in America.  Those sound like Trump voters to me. 

My suspicion is that there was a contingent of Never Clinton voters that backed Sanders, but really would have turned out for anyone running against Clinton.  Those are not voters Clinton "lost", they were never going to vote for her regardless. 

12 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He's a hateful asshole no doubt, and a talentless hack to boot, I'm not discounting the damage he's done or the hate he has spread. That said, all this action did was give him a larger platform to spread hate. This was not a victory for LBGTQ or anyone on the left. That could not have gone better for him had he scripted it.

And that larger platform also allowed regular people to get to know him, go through his past and ultimately destroyed him. I'd call that a win. 

Archived