football: transfer madness!

MercenaryChef

Yellow cards not received is not something to complain about today, though. Can should have been booked for his constant fouling, often from behind. Henderson was lucky to escape. Firmino could have been booked. Etc etc.

1 minute ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The linesman who failed to flag Kane offside for the first penalty then gave the soft second penalty, even though the ref wasn’t doing anything about it until the linesman signaled.  Spurs just got gifted two penalties in one of their most important games of the season, where they were about to lose.  And never mind all the yellow cards they didn’t receive for their usual litany of fouls. 

The linesman flagged Kane offside for the first one, but he wasn't 100% so the ref overrulled him.

But even if he hadn't, the suggestion that his correct call of the second one should be ignored because he got the first one wrong is absurd.

Did you listen to what the linesman said to the ref for the first one? He clearly said 'Chalk of the penalty if lovren didn't touch the ball as Kane was offside" - the ref then made the decision that Lovren *did* touch the ball ( linesman also said 'he can't confirm if Lovren touched the ball and left that decision to the ref), so it wasn't offside - they haven't shown the replay of Kane's dive, so I'm not sure about that yet but it did look like one. 

( Now I'm trying to figure out what the rule actually is re: other players touching the ball) 

Just now, polishgenius said:

The linesman flagged Kane offside for the first one, but he wasn't 100% so the ref overrulled him.

But even if he hadn't, the suggestion that his correct call of the second one should be ignored because he got the first one wrong is absurd.

I thought the second one was wrong too.  I wasn’t suggesting that being wrong once makes him wrong the next time (you leaped to an absurd inference).  I think he was wrong both times.  

The opponent has to deliberately play the ball for it not to be offside. Taking a deflection off Lovren isn’t enough to make Kane onside.

Not sure about the second pen. Looks like there was contact from some angles but not others. I’d lean to saying it was a penalty as Lamela had his back to Van Dijk, so how could he have timed a dive so perfectly if not touched?

Offside law from the FA's website:

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

or

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

Did you listen to what the linesman said to the ref for the first one? He clearly said 'Chalk of the penalty if lovren didn't touch the ball as Kane was offside" - the ref then made the decision that Lovren *did* touch the ball ( linesman also said 'he can't confirm if Lovren touched the ball and left that decision to the ref), so it wasn't offside - they haven't shown the replay of Kane's dive, so I'm not sure about that yet but it did look like one. 

The replay on ESPN.com shows Kane was clearly offside from the initial pass before Lovren touched it.  Lee Dixon points it out explicitly in his commentary.  I think US and UK viewers see different levels of detail in their respective broadcasts. 

Just now, Iskaral Pust said:

The replay on ESPN.com shows Kane was clearly offside from the initial pass before Lovren touched it. 

That isn't actually the issue. As I've always understood the rule, if he's offside for the initial pass but a Liverpool player plays it before it gets to him, he's on, and that's what the lineo was obviously working off. What is a lot more questionable is whether Lovren can be deemed to be playing that when it bounced off him (I'd say no).

The only reason Lovren needs to play the ball is because it's being passed to Kane in behind him. He's clearly influencing play in an offside position. It's not like he's standing miles away from play with his hands up and Lovren kicks the ball to him.

Yeah, I always thought if it's a 'rebound', it's 'offside', whereas if there's an 'attempt to play', it's not. Parsing that difference clearly isn't easy. 

Yikes - Kane 100 percent dived there after that though, just seen the replay

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

The only reason Lovren needs to play the ball is because it's being passed to Kane in behind him. He's clearly influencing play in an offside position. It's not like he's standing miles away from play with his hands up and Lovren kicks the ball to him.

Yeah that's how I see it.

3 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Agreed.  Kane was offside from the initial pass and again because Lovren’s touch was incidental (but that’s more open to interpretation).  Kane was already moving to receive the initial pass so he’s offside before Lovren touches it. 

2 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

and Karius did reasonably well. 

And yet the commentary team on my feed squarely laid the blame for the Wanyama goal on Karius calling it "horrible goalkeeping". Of course Dier's horrendous back pass barely got a mention.

Very impressive comeback from Monaco. 2-0 down, lost Subasic and Falcao to injury and had Balde sent off in the first half but were overall deserved winners. Seems like Lyon thought they had it won and couldn't get going again when Monaco pinned them back.

18 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Very impressive comeback from Monaco. 2-0 down, lost Subasic and Falcao to injury and had Balde sent off in the first half but were overall deserved winners. Seems like Lyon thought they had it won and couldn't get going again when Monaco pinned them back.

Lyon controlled most of the game but couldn't make any clear chances after they scored. They have an excellent midfield but their forward line seems less dynamic (and far too reliant on Fekir).
Monaco, on the other hand, defended really well and played very well on the counter. Lyon had about five warnings about Lopes hitting them on the break before the goal he scored, he had an excellent second half.

Both teams are going to get ravaged by bigger clubs looking for players in the next 18 months or so, though.

17 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

The 2nd one was a penalty. Soft maybe but I don't think it's even debatable. VAR would have only confirmed that.

The first one felt like justice that it was saved but the 2nd one, which was the right decision, gave an excellent game the fair result it deserved.

No way was that a penalty. It does look like a penalty from most angles but there's this one that clearly states otherwise.

From the wide camera shot it looked like a clear penalty, and I was wondering how it was not called immediately. Once I saw the video linked above, I definitely changed my mind on that.

That being said, I don't think referee is to blame for that wrong call. As I said, it seemed a penalty from multiple angles and refs don't have the luxury of slow motion replays. Which brings us to the problem with situations like this - refs should have the luxury of slow motion replays whenever possible. Yesterday's game could be the deciding on who gets to play in Champions League next season and who gets a shot at Europa League. All the sports reasons aside, there's also a small matter of tens of millions of pounds/euros/dollars being on the line and there is no reason not to make sure the call was right.

17 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Aside from frustration with the officiating, it’s only fair to acknowledge that Wanyama hit the shot of his life, Salah’s second goal was a beautiful Suarez-esque slalom through the box, and Karius did reasonably well. 

Karius did great. On both goals there wasn't much for him to do. That shot from Wanyama was not going to be saved, no matter which keeper was in goal and you can never blame the goalie for not saving a penalty.

If I see Mignolet in goal with Karius healthy and fit, I'd be pissed.

16 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Just saw this on twitter. If that’s real footage, the second penalty is stone wall.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DJ_Live_Lee/status/960231720757989376/video/1

Check the footage linked above. ;) 

Archived