football: transfer madness!

MercenaryChef

47 minutes ago, baxus said:

No way was that a penalty. It does look like a penalty from most angles but there's this one that clearly states otherwise.

He has very clearly kicked the back of his leg. It was unintentional but it happened. Lamela's hand goes straight down to the exact point on his leg that was kicked.

31 minutes ago, baxus said:

Check the linked video. It's a dive if there ever was one.

Baxus, you are dismissing this on the basis of a clip from the wrong angle. If, as the twitter I linked is correct, he hits the back of the knee, yours will not show it. Because there is a material object in the way. 

If there are several angles that clearly show contact, and one angle where you can't see the contact, why would you assume the odd one out is the one that shows the truth?

Especially since even in that one, although you don't see the contact itself, you can see VVD's leg bounce back in a way that'd be seriously unnatural if there was no touch.

8 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Baxus, you are dismissing this on the basis of a clip from the wrong angle. If, as the twitter I linked is correct, he hits the back of the knee, yours will not show it. Because there is a material object in the way. 

Having looked at both videos several times, I'm still sticking with saying it was a dive.

As I said before, it was a VERY difficult call and it's definitely not one I'd ask for ref's head over.

Hopefully,  last night's match finally makes it clear that VAR should be used in football whenever possible and we get VAR in the Premiership starting next season.

6 minutes ago, baxus said:

Having looked at both videos several times, I'm still sticking with saying it was a dive.

As I said before, it was a VERY difficult call and it's definitely not one I'd ask for ref's head over.

Hopefully,  last night's match finally makes it clear that VAR should be used in football whenever possible and we get VAR in the Premiership starting next season.

As a watcher of a league with VAR I can tell you it is useless.

10 minutes ago, baxus said:

On the one hand you say it was a difficult call. On the other hand you refuse to admit you might be wrong.

Pick one. 

38 minutes ago, mormont said:

On the one hand you say it was a difficult call. On the other hand you refuse to admit you might be wrong.

Pick one. 

You are aware that there is a difference between having to call it in an instant on the pitch and looking through slow motion replays from multiple angles sitting in a comfortable chair in front of one's computer?

I'm saying that ref was wrong. What I'm also saying is that it is an understandable mistake to make under the circumstances and that something that could already have been done years ago should be done in order to reduce the chances of such mistakes happening.

I'm pretty sure that ref and linesman would've loved it if there was a VAR in place last night to either back up their decision beyond a shadow of doubt or correct their mistake.

55 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Lamela definitely went down easily, but going down too easy doesn't necessarily make it not a foul.

Neither does falling in the box necessarily make it a penalty. ;)

EDIT:

53 minutes ago, divica said:

It's not going to become useful if it's not there in the first place. ;) 

Just now, baxus said:

You are aware that there is a difference between having to call it in an instant on the pitch and looking through slow motion replays from multiple angles sitting in a comfortable chair in front of one's computer?

Yes.

You are aware that watching an event on slow motion replay from multiple angles sitting in a comfortable chair in front of one's computer is not an infallible method of judging whether a call is correct?

You should be, because even those who've had that advantage can't agree among themselves on the call. Even qualified referees, in fact, appear to differ despite that advantage. Which suggests VAR would not have avoided the controversy. 

51 minutes ago, baxus said:

I'm pretty sure that ref and linesman would've loved it if there was a VAR in place last night to either back up their decision beyond a shadow of doubt or correct their mistake.

I agree with that. I want a perfected VAR system.

I also say beyond a shadow of a doubt that such a system would have rightfully backed up the officials in giving the 2nd penalty.

2 hours ago, divica said:

A little premature, don't you think? Video assistance is being used successfully in other sports. It will take time to iron out the kinks (just like it did in other sports) but in the long run VAR will benefit the game.

50 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

A little premature, don't you think? Video assistance is being used successfully in other sports. It will take time to iron out the kinks (just like it did in other sports) but in the long run VAR will benefit the game.

VAR would have called Kane offside. Dive/Not-A-Dive aside, it was justice that Kane's first take was saved.

The second penalty was soft. As someone who has come to follow and root for Spurs in the past few years, having the linesman call it in the 93rd minute of a game was unsatisfying, even if it rescued a point in the table.

That Wanyama strike, though... :o

And the juking Salah goal... :huh:  The best part of that is that Salah did not stop to campaign for a hand ball just inside the box. That call wasn't going to happen. Salah just kept on moving.  I dig that in a player.

21 minutes ago, The Wedge said:

And the juking Salah goal... :huh:  The best part of that is that Salah did not stop to campaign for a hand ball just inside the box. That call wasn't going to happen. Salah just kept on moving.  I dig that in a player.

Agreed. Salah has a great mentality. Relentless player. Honestly the only clear dive for me was Delle Allis and he got a yellow card for it. Was truly embarrassing. The 2nd pen was soft imo and Lamela made a meal of it but VVD did kick him. 

1 hour ago, The Wedge said:

The second penalty was soft. As someone who has come to follow and root for Spurs in the past few years, having the linesman call it in the 93rd minute of a game was unsatisfying, even if it rescued a point in the table.

I think the second one was a penalty as well however there have been numerous replays showing that Lamela was actually a whisker offside on that second incident. On the balance of play, a draw was probably a fair result but it's understandable that Liverpool players and supporters feel hard done by. Had VAR been available, Liverpool would have nicked a win.

2 hours ago, Consigliere said:

With diferent refferees having diferent interpretations of the rules VAR is useless.

7 minutes ago, divica said:

With diferent refferees having diferent interpretations of the rules VAR is useless.

It really isn't. There will be some moments where things aren't clear, but it's obviously not true that the rules of football are an interprative free-for-all.

14 minutes ago, divica said:

Nonsense. As polishgenuis has mentioned, the rules are simply not one giant grey area. Even in sports where video assistance has been in play for years, you still don't get 100% accuracy all of the time (there will be some degree interpretation involved in certain incidents) but it is indisputable that video assistance improves the chances of the correct decision being reached.

Bakayoko is utterly shite. Watford are controlling Chelsea at the moment, but they've gotta turn that into goals coz knowing them it's not gonna last...

eta: and now he's been sent off. I think that's the worst performance I've seen since that time Eboue got subbed on then off v Wigan.

Archived