NCAA Basketball 2017: In the March of Madness

Ded As Ned

Yea even when there was like 12 minutes left I had a strong feeling that UVA was not going to be able to dig out of the hole unless UMBC just stopped making shots altogether (a phenomenon I am well familiar with as a WVU fan).  

UVA went through a whole season of basically putting teams to sleep, milking the clock, low scores, etc.  They were so dominant in controlling the pace all year that it kind of became a weakness in this game.  It was obvious that they could not cope when they really needed to switch gears and play fast.  Just figured it’d be a Kentucky or Arizona that would put them in that kind of situation, not UMBC.  

26 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Villanova doing Villanova things. They're up big on Bama now.

I haven't been able to watch, but did see it was a 5 pt game at the half, and then it looked like Nova went on at least an 18-0 run to start the second.

This has definitely been a wild opening weekend so far. My bracket wasn't in too bad of shape compared to everyone else. I am scared as hell for the Michigan game tonight after seeing all these upsets.

Seton Hall hit 8 of 9 three pointers in the final 10 minutes of the game, and we still won.  They made it a lot more frustrating than I wanted, but I'll take it.  Delgado and Carrington were both fantastic.

34 minutes ago, Triskele said:

A nice win for Gonzaga over tOSU, and I suppose I'm rooting for Gonzaga against the field now that the Pac-12 has so thoroughly defenestrated itself from the tournament.  

Speaking of the Pac-12, I know that no one cares at this point (nor should they) but someone online pointed out that they just had the worst season ever for a Power 5 conference in both football and hoops in the same year.  This column was calling for the Pac-12 commissioner to be sacked.  Hard to argue.

The lack of on the field success is mentioned as a reason to fire a commissioner but what about the fact that two, that I know of, teams are deeply involved in the FBI probe and another made international news for shoplifting in China? I didn't see the article but I would hope those other items are just as important in decision making.

I was on my way back from Chattanooga during the game yesterday.  Normally, if I listen on radio I stream the AM station in Lexington through the I Heart app.  All I got yesterday was a repeating message that the game couldn’t be streamed due to NCAA licensing rights.  So while sitting at a gas station, I googled to see what I needed to do to get Westwood One.  A quick download of the Tune In app and I was listening to someone called Jason Vanetti and Dan Dickau call the game.  They were fine, sometimes even good with their colorful analogies; but as with any “neutral” announcer they got a bit too excited with the underdogs at times.

@Fez Valiant effort by your team.  For parts of the second half, I was getting nervous.  Nate Oats learned a very valuable lesson:  Don’t poke the bear.  Somewhere, Daxter Miles is nodding sagely in agreement.  Reports are that Cal took Oats’ “whining” comments very personally and that the team took exception to the “You don’t want to run with the Bulls” talk.

Tennessee lost.  There’s no Virginia.  Certainly you can’t look past UMBC/Kansas St.  But what could we see if we get to the Elite 8?  Cincinnati and Mick Cronin who two weeks ago was at a press conference talking about how many games Kentucky had lost this season?

After watching tourney runs where we had to go through top seeded Ohio State and then UNC or another to knock off Undefeated Wichita, defending champ UofL, runner up Michigan, and Big Ten Champ Wisconsin; I don’t know what to think.  It almost seems like we’re being set up for a sudden and unexpected fall.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

@Fez Valiant effort by your team.  For parts of the second half, I was getting nervous.  Nate Oats learned a very valuable lesson:  Don’t poke the bear.  Somewhere, Daxter Miles is nodding sagely in agreement.  Reports are that Cal took Oats’ “whining” comments very personally and that the team took exception to the “You don’t want to run with the Bulls” talk.

The hill wildcats are clearly a more aggressive breed than the desert kind.

It was a good game, but I could tell pretty early that Buffalo didn't have nearly as a good chance as they did against Arizona. The 3s weren't falling as well, and Kentucky was actually playing on offense, unlike Arizona. A win would've been amazing, but I'm truly not disappointed; this was our most successful season ever, no question. And almost the entire team is returning next year (along with apparently a couple 4-star recruits, which we never would've gotten a few years ago), so I think we can back it.

We are losing Wes Clark though, his eligibility is done, and that's a real shame; dude can straight up ball. He's only 6'0", so I suspect he can't hang in the NBA, but I hope he gets a shot in a pro league somewhere.

I'm hoping Cal tries to convince Gilgeous-Alexander to come back. This draft class is loaded, but I think he could be in the top 5 if he stays next year. Plus, if he comes back and the guys that should could come back (i.e. everyone but Knox) do, then that team is an easy title frontrunner next year.

41 minutes ago, Fez said:

The hill wildcats are clearly a more aggressive breed than the desert kind.

It was a good game, but I could tell pretty early that Buffalo didn't have nearly as a good chance as they did against Arizona. The 3s weren't falling as well, and Kentucky was actually playing on offense, unlike Arizona. A win would've been amazing, but I'm truly not disappointed; this was our most successful season ever, no question. And almost the entire team is returning next year (along with apparently a couple 4-star recruits, which we never would've gotten a few years ago), so I think we can back it.

We are losing Wes Clark though, his eligibility is done, and that's a real shame; dude can straight up ball. He's only 6'0", so I suspect he can't hang in the NBA, but I hope he gets a shot in a pro league somewhere.

If you guys can hang onto Oats for a couple more years, you’ve got the chance to advance in more tournaments for sure.

17 minutes ago, sperry said:

I'm hoping Cal tries to convince Gilgeous-Alexander to come back. This draft class is loaded, but I think he could be in the top 5 if he stays next year. Plus, if he comes back and the guys that should could come back (i.e. everyone but Knox) do, then that team is an easy title frontrunner next year.

Tough call on SGA.  I read some commentary that some scouts are talking like he could be the second PG off the board behind Collin Sexton (ahead of Trae Young sounds crazy to me... but I didn’t write it, just read it).  I’d love to see him back, but I think he likely goes.

As you say, everyone else should come back and with Immanuel Quickly, Tyler Hero, and Keldon Johnson coming in; the team will be loaded for sure and even experienced with juniors Wenyen Gabriel and Sacha Killeya-Jones (there have been some transfer rumors on SKJ, but would love to have him back.)

That said, there’s a great opportunity in front of them this year.  

Based on where this team was a month ago; I’ve gotta say it’s Cal’s best coaching job since he’s come to UK.

12 minutes ago, Rhom said:

If you guys can hang onto Oats for a couple more years, you’ve got the chance to advance in more tournaments for sure.

I think we will. He just signed a 5-year contract extension a couple weeks ago at $600,000/year (up from $355,000/year before) and I believe the buy-out provision is the full remaining value of the contract. I know that even totaled up that's a lot less money than the very top coaches make in a single year, but that seems like a lot for a school like Pitt to pay when there's plenty of other really talented mid-major coaches to take instead.

Also, I think he has a real connection to Buffalo. When Bobby Hurley hired him as an assistant, it was his first college job. And when his wife was diagnosed with cancer his first year as head coach (she's cancer-free now), the school really rallied around him. 

My guess is he stays for now.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Tough call on SGA.  I read some commentary that some scouts are talking like he could be the second PG off the board behind Collin Sexton (ahead of Trae Young sounds crazy to me... but I didn’t write it, just read it).  I’d love to see him back, but I think he likely goes.

As you say, everyone else should come back and with Immanuel Quickly, Tyler Hero, and Keldon Johnson coming in; the team will be loaded for sure and even experienced with juniors Wenyen Gabriel and Sacha Killeya-Jones (there have been some transfer rumors on SKJ, but would love to have him back.)

That said, there’s a great opportunity in front of them this year.  

Based on where this team was a month ago; I’ve gotta say it’s Cal’s best coaching job since he’s come to UK.

The thing is all the elite big men and wings in the draft this year. Doesn't look like that will be the case next year.

58 minutes ago, Fez said:

I think we will. He just signed a 5-year contract extension a couple weeks ago at $600,000/year (up from $355,000/year before) and I believe the buy-out provision is the full remaining value of the contract. I know that even totaled up that's a lot less money than the very top coaches make in a single year, but that seems like a lot for a school like Pitt to pay when there's plenty of other really talented mid-major coaches to take instead.

Also, I think he has a real connection to Buffalo. When Bobby Hurley hired him as an assistant, it was his first college job. And when his wife was diagnosed with cancer his first year as head coach (she's cancer-free now), the school really rallied around him. 

My guess is he stays for now.

If you're the real deal as a coach, you stick around at the mid-major your winning at for as long as possible. Make your jump into big time coaching at a good program, rather than jumping into the disaster that is Pitt.

Archived