Agent Orange

How far will Arya go to kill her enemies?

174 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Nevets said:
51 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

only they'd rape her bloody before. 

I think Yoren was exaggerating somewhat, to keep her careful and discreet.  It is also worth noting that when it became apparent that she was a girl, she was traveling to Harrenhal with Clegane's men, a bunch of rapists if there was ever one, and nobody took any interest in her at all.

Yes, I also think Yoren was exaggerating, still, the threat was there all along. 

I also agree that Clegane and his men are the worst kind of scum there is. Still, not every rapist is a paedo? Arya is (was) at an age where only paedos will be into her sexually. Plus a pinch of plot armour, meaning, Martin didn't want the character to go through it. 

9 minutes ago, Nevets said:

She landed with the FM in Braavos because she had run out of options.  She had no money, and no place to go.  She has stayed because she needs a pack to belong to, and they have offered her one.  Plus, learning to kill people is of interest to her (although I have real doubts that she has learned, or will learn, anything actually useful in that department).

I think she has already learned a thing or two. And by the time we see her next, she may have learned a few more. 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yes, I also think Yoren was exaggerating, still, the threat was there all along. 

I also agree that Clegane and his men are the worst kind of scum there is. Still, not every rapist is a paedo? Arya is (was) at an age where only paedos will be into her sexually. Plus a pinch of plot armour, meaning, Martin didn't want the character to go through it. 

I think she has already learned a thing or two. And by the time we see her next, she may have learned a few more. 

I don't know about that.  In the preview chapter

her killing of Raff didn't include any knowledge or skills she didn't have before she arrived in Braavos.  She basically slashed the guy's neck with a blade, which isn't all that different from the Harrenhal guard.

If she used new skills, I didn't see it.  She's learned a bit about poisons, but even that has been haphazard and ad hoc.  Other than that, I can't say I'm all that impressed.

Agree with you that she was too young for Clegane's men.  But her biggest problem was that she had no means of support, and nobody willing to do so, after Sandor's (apparent) demise.

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

What she does in the Mercy chapter, without the victim notices it, requires a certain expertise and a safe hand…

5 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Reveal hidden contents

her killing of Raff didn't include any knowledge or skills she didn't have before she arrived in Braavos.  She basically slashed the guy's neck with a blade, which isn't all that different from the Harrenhal guard.

I disagree. To begin with it requires knowledge in anatomy…

Edited by Nowy Tends

24 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

What she does in the Mercy chapter, without the victim notices it, requires a certain expertise and a safe hand…

It seems that...

Spoiler

In the Mercy chapter Arya’s mission was to cause a disruption for the envoy to Kings Landing, therefore Arya was on a mission and just had a list name of hers dropped in her lap (as other posters mentioned above), as Arya did not seek Raff out. It seems this is part of what she is learning, not just the physical killing, but the focus on the correct target, who was Raff in this case. 

I don’t have all the quotes at the moment, but the key that Arya has in the end could also be... key. :ph34r:

Spoiler

And I hate having to use the secret eye :angry2:

Edited by The Fattest Leech

Spoiler

It was the Femoral artery that Arya opened up. It took not just a good knowledge of anatomy and a very precise cut, but excellent planning to get Raff running through the city, clambering up the stairs and sexually aroused. His pulse was then racing so he bled out quickly and relatively painlessly. Also suits the narrative she was looking to create - with Raff spotted running through the city with her, a messy crime scene and neither anywhere to be seen.

24 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Reveal hidden contents

If she used new skills, I didn't see it.  She's learned a bit about poisons, but even that has been haphazard and ad hoc.  Other than that, I can't say I'm all that impressed.

She's learned tricks that may come in handy, and the KM said she'd learn about glamours and disguises and face-changing (which shoud be easier for a skinchanger than your average person). Also what Nowy said below...

24 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Agree with you that she was too young for Clegane's men.  But her biggest problem was that she had no means of support, and nobody willing to do so, after Sandor's (apparent) demise.

I agree, and also with what you said before about the HoBaW being her pack for the time being.

24 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

18 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

I disagree. To begin with it requires knowledge in anatomy…

:agree:

7 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It seems that...

Reveal hidden contents

In the Mercy chapter Arya’s mission was to cause a disruption for the envoy to Kings Landing, therefore Arya was on a mission and just had a list name of hers dropped in her lap (as other posters mentioned above), as Arya did not seek Raff out. It seems this is part of what she is learning, not just the physical killing, but the focus on the correct opportunities. 

I don’t have all the quotes at the moment, but the key that Arya has in the end could also be... key. :ph34r:

Reveal hidden contents

1st secret eye: agree

2nd secret eye: WHAT. I love secret eye thingy because...

Spoiler

I love the suspense! :laugh:

7 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:
  Hide contents

It was the Femoral artery that Arya opened up. It took not just a good knowledge of anatomy and a very precise cut, but excellent planning to get Raff running through the city, clambering up the stairs and sexually aroused. His pulse was then racing so he bled out quickly and relatively painlessly. Also suits the narrative she was looking to create - with Raff spotted running through the city with her, a messy crime scene and neither anywhere to be seen.

Yes. I believe Rachel McAdams does the same thing during a party in True Detective Season 2.

By the way, if anyone needs a Mercy chapter re-read, here is a link to the archived version of the text from GRRM's website,

http://web.archive.org/web/20140403003340/http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerpt-from-the-winds-of-winter/

and here is a good reading of it by another narrator if you prefer to listen while you work... I mean, the narrator is no :bowdown:Roy Dotrice, but it is still a good read.

4 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

It seems that...

Reveal hidden contents

In the Mercy chapter Arya’s mission was to cause a disruption for the envoy to Kings Landing, therefore Arya was on a mission and just had a list name of hers dropped in her lap (as other posters mentioned above), as Arya did not seek Raff out. It seems this is part of what she is learning, not just the physical killing, but the focus on the correct target, who was Raff in this case. 

Reveal hidden contents

And down the rabbit-hole we go:o.  As you might guess, I do not believe this theory in the slightest, but we are getting way OT.

55 minutes ago, Nevets said:

And down the rabbit-hole we go:o.  As you might guess, I do not believe this theory in the slightest, but we are getting way OT.

Pffft! I'd take trying to actually figure Arya out, even if it turns out to be wrong, over generic Stark hate any day.

14 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

The thread of being raped was there all along, from the moment she took to the road w/ Yoren. Remember what he told Arya? From memory, so paraphrasing, but he.told her to be discreet when peeing b/c "half the guys w/ them would sell her to the queen, and the other half would do the same only they'd rape her bloody before. 

Still, only Rorge threatened to rape her.

PS. You mean "threat"?

56 minutes ago, Kandrax said:

Still, only Rorge threatened to rape her.

PS. You mean "threat"?

Yes, Rorge actually said it. But the threat was there all the time, even if not verbalised by other characters. 

And yes, threat not thread. A typo I was too lazy to fix! :P

Edited by kissdbyfire

8 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

But the threat was there all the time, even if not verbalised by other characters. 

You are right about that. Brotherhood accused Mountain's men for raping six year olds.