How far will Arya go to kill her enemies?

Darth Sidious

On 3/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, Agent Orange said:

Arya is nuts.  I believe she will not hesitate to burn down an entire city to cross Cersei off her Hit List.  She is worse than Catelyn Stoneheart in some ways. 

Obviously, none of us know the answer.  But I will present the question and see what kind of opinion it gets.  How far will Arya go to kill the people on her Hit List?  If there is no other way to kill Cersei, will Arya be willing to burn down an entire city to get her revenge? 

Use all of the information at your disposal, including the sample chapters from TWOW to form your opinion.

Rank the following in order of most obsessed with revenge.  The one most obsessed with revenge being number 1 and followed by the rest in that order.

Arya, Doran, Catelyn, Oznak Zo Phal's family, Walder Frey, Littlefinger, Tyrion, Pyat Pree, Cersei, and Sandor.

There is no telling how far that insane little runt, Arya, will go to get her revenge.  I would not put it past her to kill a lot of innocent people just to get to the ones on her list.  Arya is too fucked up in the head.

On 3/31/2018 at 6:19 PM, Kandrax said:

I think that she will kill guilty, but spares  innocents. She still Stark, and they don't kill someone because of last name. At least current Starks.

She has had the option to avoid collateral murders for now.  When that option is no longer available, that mad girl will just about do anything to cross the people off her list.

On 4/1/2018 at 8:44 AM, Nowy Tends said:

No, absolutely not. Obviously you don't understand the character. Arya has no desire to make collateral damages (unlike Cersei).

It's you who doesn't understand the character.  A person that age who goes around murdering people who are not a direct threat to her has extreme mental and emotional problems.  Somebody like Arya would be committed to a max security insane asylum today and she would be the poster person for lowering the age for the death penalty.  

46 minutes ago, Bwana said:

It's you who doesn't understand the character.  A person that age who goes around murdering people who are not a direct threat to her has extreme mental and emotional problems.  Somebody like Arya would be committed to a max security insane asylum today and she would be the poster person for lowering the age for the death penalty.  

Dude you're looking at Arya with the eyes of a 21th century Police Officer. Next you're going to tell us that the Unsullied should sue the Astaport City Council…

On 3/31/2018 at 5:10 PM, Agent Orange said:

Arya is nuts.  I believe she will not hesitate to burn down an entire city to cross Cersei off her Hit List.  She is worse than Catelyn Stoneheart in some ways. 

Obviously, none of us know the answer.  But I will present the question and see what kind of opinion it gets.  How far will Arya go to kill the people on her Hit List?  If there is no other way to kill Cersei, will Arya be willing to burn down an entire city to get her revenge? 

Use all of the information at your disposal, including the sample chapters from TWOW to form your opinion.

Rank the following in order of most obsessed with revenge.  The one most obsessed with revenge being number 1 and followed by the rest in that order.

Arya, Doran, Catelyn, Oznak Zo Phal's family, Walder Frey, Littlefinger, Tyrion, Pyat Pree, Cersei, and Sandor.

We can't predict the future with any accuracy but Arya is mad.  I think she would be willing to kill innocents to finish off her list.  

I realize the times they live in is barbaric but even by their standards, a little vigilante who goes around murdering people out of a misguided sense of justice for her family is disgusting.  I am hoping somebody will put Arya out of her misery in TWOW.  

32 minutes ago, Bowen 747 said:

We can't predict the future with any accuracy but Arya is mad.  I think she would be willing to kill innocents to finish off her list.  

I realize the times they live in is barbaric but even by their standards, a little vigilante who goes around murdering people out of a misguided sense of justice for her family is disgusting.  I am hoping somebody will put Arya out of her misery in TWOW.  

You do know there is direct text evidence against this with Arya saying herself she doesn't know who among the Freys were involved with the murder of her family.

17 minutes ago, Darksnider05 said:

You do know there is direct text evidence against this with Arya saying herself she doesn't know who among the Freys were involved with the murder of her family.

Evidence, pffff. Evidence plays no part in hate threads. 

This is written at villains wikia House Frey page.

Arya's storyline in the novels is not a revenge plot, but focuses on the drama of her losing her identity, past, and family because she hoped to get revenge, but instead found herself in the trap of the religion of the Faceless Men. In the books, Arya is afraid to become heartless due to her temper or just a tool without any identity and many faces, but she looks at Needle and she remembers who she really is.

On 2018-04-08 at 11:47 AM, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

I agree. Note that people she ends up killing are people who really deserve it. The insurance man is a con artist who's ripping off poor families. I guess we can say that people who come to the FM's temple are those who have no other choice. Naturally, these would be poor people who cannot take on richer or more powerful foes. 

Arya is traumatized and she is also angry. Even back in Winterfell she did have anger issues. Not like Joffery, but when there's an injustice, she really gets angry, which can make her lash out. 

Yup.

I don't think Joff had anger issues though. He was a sadist and a psychopath. I'm half-expecting a Joffy appretiation-thread at this point.

19 minutes ago, Sigella said:

I'm half-expecting a Joffy appretiation-thread at this point.

I can see the heading:

"who is the worst most vicious mad sadistic psycho: Ramsay, Joffrey or Arya?" :ack:

28 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I can see the heading:

"who is the worst most vicious mad sadistic psycho: Ramsay, Joffrey or Arya?" :ack:

and by the same poster, the same day:

"Who is the most intelligent character: Varys, Littlefinger or Khaleesi?" :ph34r:

On 4/8/2018 at 2:38 PM, Bwana said:

There is no telling how far that insane little runt, Arya, will go to get her revenge.  I would not put it past her to kill a lot of innocent people just to get to the ones on her list.  Arya is too fucked up in the head.

She has had the option to avoid collateral murders for now.  When that option is no longer available, that mad girl will just about do anything to cross the people off her list.

You are OK with executing minors, and Arya is fucked up in the head?...

There are two options, you can be serious or you can be trolling (I really hope for the latter), but both mean there's no point in reading what you have to say. Ever again.

3 hours ago, Sigella said:

Yup.

I don't think Joff had anger issues though. He was a sadist and a psychopath. I'm half-expecting a Joffy appretiation-thread at this point.

Well, that wouldn't be bad like trying to defend Raid on Saltpans or Ramsay's hunts.

On 4/10/2018 at 0:17 AM, Sigella said:

Lol. Joff does have a sadistic streak, but unlike the psychos like the Mountain, Joff's problems seem to stem from a horrible family life. Early in GoT, there's that chapter where Sansa accompanies Joff to the feast before the tourney is Ned's honor. There, Cersei and Robert picks a very nasty and very public fight. Sansa notices Joff looking on, and his mood changes. He probably grew up being caught between those two and that sort of conflict at home can really mess up people. 

On 4/10/2018 at 1:09 AM, Nowy Tends said:

Who is the most intelligent character: Varys, Littlefinger or Khaleesi?

Varys and Littlefinger are schemers who think they are smart. Dany is a survivor mainly (with situational intelligence for the most part). Arya is actually the smartest character in the books so far. Remember when everyone is on the way to KL, and Arya remembers all the flowers and the stuff she has seen along the way? Sansa is like, wth, like the rest of us. 

Well, in ACOK she does wish for every single person (except Sansa) in KL to die (even though most of them have nothing to do with her father's death). And she proves in ADWD that she's capable of killing a man just to keep her cool assassin job (rationalizing that "he probably wasn't nice anyway"). So I think she has the potential to go very far in order to finish off the people she doesn't like, but I think GRRM loves her too much to turn her into a complete monster.

4 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Varys and Littlefinger are schemers who think they are smart. Dany is a survivor mainly (with situational intelligence for the most part). Arya is actually the smartest character in the books so far. Remember when everyone is on the way to KL, and Arya remembers all the flowers and the stuff she has seen along the way? Sansa is like, wth, like the rest of us. 

I agree but actually I was joking… I hate when people call Dany "Khaleesi" like if it is her first name…

20 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

Well, in ACOK she does wish for every single person (except Sansa) in KL to die (even though most of them have nothing to do with her father's death). And she proves in ADWD that she's capable of killing a man just to keep her cool assassin job (rationalizing that "he probably wasn't nice anyway"). So I think she has the potential to go very far in order to finish off the people she doesn't like, but I think GRRM loves her too much to turn her into a complete monster.

She's getting closer.  By the way, people would have stopped buying insurance policies if the old man was a swindler.  The fact that he had customers meant he was a good businessman who provided good customer service.  Word gets around.  He would have had no customers if the old man was dishonest.If anything, it was a business competitor who "paid" for the assassination.  There are requirements and obligations on both sides when it comes to insurance coverage.  It is very possible that the covered party was in violation of the terms and lost his right to a claim.  The fact that it was an assassination by a cult instead of an arrest by the proper authorities meant that the old man was innocent.  

58 minutes ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

She's getting closer.  By the way, people would have stopped buying insurance policies if the old man was a swindler.  The fact that he had customers meant he was a good businessman who provided good customer service.  Word gets around.  He would have had no customers if the old man was dishonest.If anything, it was a business competitor who "paid" for the assassination.  There are requirements and obligations on both sides when it comes to insurance coverage.  It is very possible that the covered party was in violation of the terms and lost his right to a claim.  The fact that it was an assassination by a cult instead of an arrest by the proper authorities meant that the old man was innocent.  

What? You're basically telling us that everyone knows when someone is a crook… Guess what, being a successful swindler rests precisely on the talent to deceive people… Have you heard of Ponzi or Madoff?

The things people manage to say out of hatred for a fantasy character :blink:

2 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

She's getting closer.  By the way, people would have stopped buying insurance policies if the old man was a swindler.  The fact that he had customers meant he was a good businessman who provided good customer service.  Word gets around.  He would have had no customers if the old man was dishonest.

It's a super valid point. As we very well know, there's been no successful fraudster in the history of the humanity, for all those reasons listed above. ;) 

Why the hell are there even penalties for fraud on penal codes around the world, I wonder? And why are there consumer protection laws? Why are there even courts? Word gets around, after all, hence every wannabe fraudster, every businessman who offers anything but superior customer experience, is a pathetic, bankrupt  individual begging for spare change on street corners. It's only logical.

And I imagine that in the world with no Internet, no phones, no print press, and ubiquitous illiteracy, word got around even sooner than today. Karma must have been virtually instant.

Serious mode on... No, I can't. I really can't treat this argument seriously, and I can't imagine that you do.

You are aware that Arya does not go out of her way to find any of the people on her list. Martin drops them ( three) in her path. The kindly man asked if Arya could do the deed. Kill the insurance scammer. Arya accepted the task. She completed the task. What's the dilemma?

It's Westeros or Planetos which ever you prefer. Someone put a contract on the insurance dude. The HoBaW deemed the contract valid.

Arya doesn't leave. It's okay for Jaqen to do what he does yet it is not okay for Arya to learn the trade.

Archived