Republic of Thieves- Lynch book III

Calibandar

The UK edition -- so far at least -- has always been released about a month prior to the US version.

And no, no word as to whether or not the entire manuscript has been turned in yet...

Patrick

It sounds promising - hopefully Lynch will 'evolve' a bit with this one as his caper 'schtick' will quickly grow tiring.

While I agree in principle, the schtik parts of the last book were fine, while the "Locke Lamora, feminist Errol Flynn" featuring happy caring hearts-of-gold pirates were pretty dire. Until he proves otherwise, we might consider the option that capers is what Lynch does well.

That would be great if SL can get the book out by this autumn. And double awesome if ADwD is out near the same time

That said, I'm not sure how much I trust amazon's dates for things. They've been set to release ADwD several times over the past couple of years...

BTW, thanks for spoiler-tagging the blurb. Can some of you now spoiler tag your responses to the blurb? You've pretty much given away a key spoiler in the blurb. Ta

That said, I'm not sure how much I trust amazon's dates for things. They've been set to release ADwD several times over the past couple of years...

Not amazon.com. They've not listed the book before. And The Lynch as well as the Martin are listed on the publisher's own site and in the promotional articles. But as it is unsure if Lynch has finished the book at this point, it could still go wrong).

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a bit wary that it seems to have the same "blackmail Locke by threatening his life" plot that was in RSURS.

And in LoLL. Will all Gentleman Bastard books follow the same formula? I thought Scott Lynch was a better writer. RSURS disappointed me and it sounds like Republic of Thieves will disappoint me too. At least my expectations are a lot lower now. :thumbsdown:

Doesn't sound very good to me. I agree about the "antagonist forcing Locke to do things" problem. It seems Locke is only interested in his capers, and in keeping out the way. And despite the fact that the first two books consistently show him doing stuff just because it's the right thing to do, it still hasn't got to the stage where he can choose to do morally sound stuff without being previously compelled to perform some ancillary task.

SPOILER: mild spoiler
That was certainly one thing i didn't like about Republic of Thieves. It was quite clear the poison was going to be a driving force of the next book, as well as this. In fact if it had been fake (which i never really bought), it would have ben much better. And i'd want that revealed at the very end of RoT as well.

• 1 month later...

Archived