Republic of Thieves- Lynch book III

Calibandar

Then I shall remain optimistic as well. At least this wait has not been as long as the one for AFfC. I do wish Scott would at least post something on his damn journal - throw us some kind of a bone. SUMMON AUTHOR!

Due to the rules transition from 3E to 4E, SUMMON AUTHOR is now a higher-level spell and also a ritual, which you must spend 10 minutes casting whilst intoning, "SORRY ARE WE TO BE FAITHLESS, WE DON'T LIKE JOE MORE THAN YOU, HONEST, BESIDES YOU HAVE BETTER HAIR."

The Summon Author spell is tricky at the best of times and certain variations of it almost fail quite readily - the Lynch subspell has become especially variable in its results.

Due to the rules transision from 3E to 4E, SUMMON AUTHOR is now a higher-level spell and also a ritual, which you must spend 10 minutes casting whilst intoning, "SORRY ARE WE TO BE FAITHLESS, WE DON'T LIKE JOE MORE THAN YOU, HONEST, BESIDES YOU HAVE BETTER HAIR."

:lmao:

If there was any winning to be done in this thread, Wert would totally do it.

The Summon Author spell is tricky at the best of times and certain variations of it almost fail quite readily - the Lynch subspell has become especially variable in its results.

If all it took for an author to appear was for his name to be mentioned, we wouldn't have a single thread in this forum which didn't have Terry Goodkind posting in it ;)

If all it took for an author to appear was for his name to be mentioned, we wouldn't have a single thread in this forum which didn't have Terry Goodkind posting in it ;)

I don't think anyone has powered up to the level to summon the Yeard.

I don't think anyone has powered up to the level to summon the Yeard.

None of us are the right class, you have to be a high level Objectivist to perform Summon the Yeard. Also one of the spell components is a chicken that is not a chicken and they are very rare, it turns out that most chickens are in fact chickens.

None of us are the right class, you have to be a high level Objectivist to perform Summon the Yeard. Also one of the spell components is a chicken that is not a chicken and they are very rare, it turns out that most chickens are in fact chickens.

Don't forget the tongue of a pre-teen girl, those are easier to obtain... but the collection of said component is generally frowned upon in polite society.

And on topic, I'd note that Gollancz, who brought out the first two books a month before the US release, have listed it for June/July. Let's hope the Bantam editor's optimism will be deserved then and the February date will be met.

Hmmm, I believe that we might have to wait till spring then. . .

Gollancz wouldn't have put up that tentative release date if there was a good chance that the book would be ready in February/March. :unsure:

Patrick

• 2 months later...

WTF? A poster on Malazanempire just reported receiving this:

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk,

We've noticed that customers who have purchased or rated books by Steven Erikson have also purchased The Bastards and the Knives: The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic and The Choir of Knives: An Omnibus: The Gentleman Bastard - The Prequel by Scott Lynch. For this reason, you might like to know that The Bastards and the Knives: The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic and The Choir of Knives: An Omnibus: The Gentleman Bastard - The Prequel will be released on 1 November 2008. You can pre-order yours for just £7.99 by following the link below.

The Bastards and the Knives: The Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic and The Choir of Knives: An Omnibus: The Gentleman Bastard - The Prequel

Scott Lynch

Price: £7.99

Release Date: 1 November 2008

Product Description

These two novellas tell the story of how Locke, Jean and the other gentleman bastards acquired the Austershalin brandy that played such a key role in the con at the centre of THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA and how they managed to avoid being killed by the elite assassins known as the Choir of Knives. These two novellas will fill in the backstory of the Bastards and allow fans to revisit the pleasures of the banter and antics of Caldo, Galdo and Bug as well discover how Locke and Jean forged their gang. They will also serve as an excellent introduction to Locke and his world for new readers. And because these are novellas by Scott Lynch they will also provide 100,000 words full of devious con-work, high adventure, razor sharp dialogue and rich atmopshere.

I'm going to take a wild guess that this is an auto-generated message, as we know that Scott hasn't even 100% turned in the final draft of Book 3 yet and this wasn't due to be written until after that, plus there's the whole 18-month Sub Press exclusivity thing as well.

I suspect a few fans are going to be annoyed at that after receiving emails like this though.

I'm going to take a wild guess that this is an auto-generated message, as we know that Scott hasn't even 100% turned in the final draft of Book 3 yet and this wasn't due to be written until after that, plus there's the whole 18-month Sub Press exclusivity thing as well.

I suspect a few fans are going to be annoyed at that after receiving emails like this though.

Given the fact that the book isn't even in production yet (as far as we know, Lynch has not even turned in the manuscript), this is an error from Amazon...

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

I just heard about the delay today - grrrrr! I'm only reading A Song of Ice and Fire, The Gentlemen Bastards Sequence, The Twelve Kingdoms, and The Kingkiller Chronicles, so everything from these four series looks to hit in early-mid-2009 -- almost all at once!

I was hoping The Republic of Thieves would come out in February and then I could jump right into The Wise Man's Fear in April, but it looks like that will not be so <=(

On the plus side, The LE AFfC should hit in December =)

Calibandar and a few others wanted me to ask around if the new Lynch was on target for the spring release date.

Well, given the fact that both his editors have yet to respond, I would say that the June release date is tentative at best right now. Last I spoke with Anne Groell, Scott had yet to turn in the final manuscript.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess...

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
While I agree in principle, the schtik parts of the last book were fine, while the "Locke Lamora, feminist Errol Flynn" featuring happy caring hearts-of-gold pirates were pretty dire. Until he proves otherwise, we might consider the option that capers is what Lynch does well.

Agree. I thought the Sinspire plot was good, and the Archon dealings (Cobraaaaa!!!!, anyone?). The pirate aspect just seemed like a side-journey. It also seemed a bit forced. Look, we have a bisexual hero! Look we have an idealistic pirate captain who plays by fair rules....plus, get this...the captain is a woman! And Locke's internal struggles of doing what's right by the pirates...it all just felt a little mushy. I almost felt like Scott picked up the pen right after watching a Pirates of the Caribean marathon. I thought the balance of sexes and their respective politcal/social power were substantiated better in the first book, without feeling forced at all. I realize the pirate plot was intrical to the overall plot, but it would have felt more focused if it was an Archon/Priori/Sinspire triangle instead. The visit to (can't remember the name) the place with the gladiator stadium was a good read and I liked the setting, but it also felt forced into the plot. Don't mean to be all negative here, Lies of Locke Lamora is one of my favorite reads of all time.

Dude, I'm still laughing at that Deadhouse Gates cover.

Archived