Republic of Thieves- Lynch book III

Calibandar

Uh, I'm probably remembering wrongly, but wasn't the Austershalin brandy that Locke used a complete fake?

Only the one that they drank. There was another one that was just given as a gift, and had to be genuine as it was too well known. They could only get away with faking the one that hadn't been released yet.

Only the one that they drank. There was another one that was just given as a gift, and had to be genuine as it was too well known. They could only get away with faking the one that hadn't been released yet.

Ah, thanks Slick :)

Smiler,

I just read RSURS last month. Who was the "bisexual hero"? I don't remember one.

One of the main side-pirates... name starts with a J, but I don't have the copy of the book with me.

Anyway, in one of the sections describing the free love atmosphere on the ship, J is nonchalant about his amorous adventures with both sexes.

I submit that the real bisexuals are Locke and Jean. I mean c'mon, if this were a TV or movie series the fangurls would be slashing those two like there was no tomorrow.

(if that doesn't bring Lynch out of hiding I don't know what will)

I submit that the real bisexuals are Locke and Jean. I mean c'mon, if this were a TV or movie series the fangurls would be slashing those two like there was no tomorrow.

(if that doesn't bring Lynch out of hiding I don't know what will)

At World Fantasy Con 2007, Scott specifically mentioned that he left Locke and Jean in a boat together at the end of RSURS and will pick up TRoT with them already off the boat. And that he'll never mention exactly what they did to pass the time, leaving that to the slashers.

• 2 weeks later...
...And that he'll never mention exactly what they did to pass the time, leaving that to the slashers.

Oh my! Maybe some short stories will pop up somewhere. that could be hilarious.

I finally read RSURS recently and really loved it. As many others have said, the Lynch's dialog is really well written. and yes, it was wrapped up rather quickly. I wonder if he'll ever publish a longer version... like an extended DVD version. :-)

I must say (thinking of Locke & Jean in the boat), how nice it is to have a book that has so much of its story devoted to the bond between friends. and how old friends do come off as an elderly married couple sometimes! I found it rather charming/sweet. I would not enjoy these books nearly as much if it was *only* about Locke (without Jean). so, I hope Jean stays alive through the whole series!

I also found myself really (really!) enjoying the pirates/open seas stuff. It made me want to go back and read Hobb's Liveship books. I suppose its too much to hope that the next Lynch book will involve pirates? maybe I need to find other pirate related fantasy books. any suggestions?

I suppose its too much to hope that the next Lynch book will involve pirates? maybe I need to find other pirate related fantasy books. any suggestions?

Paul Kearney's Sea-Beggars series should be up your street.

I would not enjoy these books nearly as much if it was *only* about Locke (without Jean). so, I hope Jean stays alive through the whole series!

Lynch has cited Fritz Leiber as a major literary influence - which indirectly implies that the Locke/Jean combo will likely stay throughout the series (Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are among the most legendary fantasy duos of all time).

• 1 month later...
Guys, it's summer 2009. . .

If all goes well. . .

It's summer if you're extremely optimistic. The MS still hasn't been handed in, I believe, and given Bantam's financial woes I don't think they will be rush-releasing this one either (definitely not if they've abandoned that plan for ADWD, as seems to be the case).

Whilst it would be great if it was earlier, autumn 2009 seems the earliest possible date to me, and it could drop back to the start of 2010 quite easily.

Wert,

What did you mean by "abandoned that plan for ADWD"?

Have I missed some important news?

Heh. I wondered the same thing, so I went and checked the ASOIAF update. It's still the January '08 one. I'm guessing it was a standing order that they've abandoned.

Werthead is referring to the fact that the latest entirely speculative release dates are for Autumn 2009, and is speculating that partly this is because Bantam has decided it's not cost-effective to rush-release ADwD once they mave the manuscript in light of the fact that the publishing industry as a whole is having financial issues due to economic slowdown.

I don't, myself, think this is true. I think a solid mid-lister like Lynch's series (and despite all the hype in the past, it seems that this is where the series currently stands -- mid-list) isn't going to get a rush release. But once they have ADwD, I do believe Bantam will rush the editing and printing process to some degree.

Part of the equation for any business is not just profit, but cash flow. They may make marginally less profit on ADwD if they have to throw in the extra expense of rush publication, but they will improve their immediate cash flow with a rush release, and a couple of million dollars now may be more appealing then a couple of million dollars +200k later.

Werthead is referring to the fact that the latest entirely speculative release dates are for Autumn 2009, and is speculating that partly this is because Bantam has decided it's not cost-effective to rush-release ADwD once they mave the manuscript in light of the fact that the publishing industry as a whole is having financial issues due to economic slowdown.

I don't, myself, think this is true. I think a solid mid-lister like Lynch's series (and despite all the hype in the past, it seems that this is where the series currently stands -- mid-list) isn't going to get a rush release. But once they have ADwD, I do believe Bantam will rush the editing and printing process to some degree.

Part of the equation for any business is not just profit, but cash flow. They may make marginally less profit on ADwD if they have to throw in the extra expense of rush publication, but they will improve their immediate cash flow with a rush release, and a couple of million dollars now may be more appealing then a couple of million dollars +200k later.

Wouldn't this require GRRM to be finished somewhere between now and June-ish?

Archived