Republic of Thieves- Lynch book III

Calibandar

Basically, yes. And we don't know when it'll be done, or when it will be released after it's done, really. We just have the mostly random date that Amazon and Random House now seem to be putting out, and as GRRM says, it's all just speculation.

I do think it makes sense that only guaranteed bestsellers like GRRM will be getting accelerated publishing schedules, though.

Basically, yes. And we don't know when it'll be done, or when it will be released after it's done, really. We just have the mostly random date that Amazon and Random House now seem to be putting out, and as GRRM says, it's all just speculation.

I do think it makes sense that only guaranteed bestsellers like GRRM will be getting accelerated publishing schedules, though.

If you can slip something that would be a guaranteed seller like ADWD in under the 4th Quarter deadline, it would certainly be beneficial to a company like Bantam.

Based on the fact that Bantam has been acknowledged as suffering in the current economic climate (though all the US publishers are, genre or not; curiously the British SF&F publishers seem less effected so far), their attitude towards 'rush releasing' a book remains uncertain. As Ran says they may say sod it and get the book out ASAP, or they may decide saving however many thousands of dollars it would cost to get the book out is more beneficial, with the added advantages a longer lead-time would have on marketing and advertising.

If you can slip something that would be a guaranteed seller like ADWD in under the 4th Quarter deadline, it would certainly be beneficial to a company like Bantam.

Under normal circumstances where a company's performance and future might be judged on their annual figures, then yes, it wouldn't matter where in the year the book was released if you were looking at release sales only. Obviously the earlier in the financial year the book ships, the more sales it picks up over the period. However, with the economy in a volatile and unpredictable state they may feel it is better to get the book out ASAP. What attitude they would have towards a decent but not NYT-bestseller author like Lynch is less clear.

• 2 months later...

Interesting. As usual believe nothing until you've heard it from the writer etc, but a small delay of just a couple of months is indicative of a straightening out of the release date rather than a major delay (I'm reminded of how Blizzard games usually have that short 6-7 week delay to their final release date announced a couple of months before the original date was due). So this date sounds like it could be convincing.

Has he been taking writing lessons from GRRM or something?

The reasons for Scott's delay are highly personal, I believe, and not related to problems with the writing of the actual book.

Pat,

Anne is Scott's editor right, and she is saying if she doesn't get a manuscript this month it's no Spring 2010 date. I was just wondering, are these people not in actual contact with each other? Mind you, I sometimes get confused, I try to bring real world values and customs into my beliefs as to how the book industry would act, and sometimes that doesn't turn out to be right. I would imagine that Groell, being his editor, would know at least what Scott has done in terms of finished work on the 3rd book? And how likely it is that she is going to see a manuscript at all, right? Or maybe she knows why we are not getting a book and doesn't think that is info she can share to you? Usually there is editor-writer contact and an awareness of what the status of a book roughly is.

Anne is Scott's editor right, and she is saying if she doesn't get a manuscript this month it's no Spring 2010 date. I was just wondering, are these people not in actual contact with each other? Mind you, I sometimes get confused, I try to bring real world values and customs into my beliefs as to how the book industry would act, and sometimes that doesn't turn out to be right. I would imagine that Groell, being his editor, would know at least what Scott has done in terms of finished work on the 3rd book? And how likely it is that she is going to see a manuscript at all, right? Or maybe she knows why we are not getting a book and doesn't think that is info she can share to you? Usually there is editor-writer contact and an awareness of what the status of a book roughly is.

The problem is compounded because I believe (and may be wrong) that Bantam US isn't considered to be Scott's 'primary' publisher. That's Gollancz in the UK, because they 'discovered' him first and put out the books first.

Bantam's say in events depends on whether they simply have the foreign reprint rights, so they basically reprint whatever Gollancz sends them after it's been edited in London, or whether Scott has a separate UK and US deal and deals with them separately (which is how books sometimes end up having differences between the American and British editions, such as different titles).

We don't know any of that and I seriously doubt we'll find out, but if the books have to go through Gollancz before Bantam get them, it could explain why Bantam are giving off this impression of being out of the loop a little bit.

Whenever I've spoken to Simon at Gollancz about TRoT, he always gives the impression of being in regular contact with Scott and knowing fully what the score is. And refusing to tell me what that is. Even that time I bought him a beer. Goddamn it.

Anne is indeed Lynch's US editor, but she has an imprint to run and can't babysit every writer in her roster. She is probably in contact with him. But if he doesn't know exactly when the last rewrite will be done, then there is very little she can do but wait. And no, Bantam doesn't have to wait till the manuscript gets through Gollancz before getting their copy.

But yes, Gollancz have primary rights, or whatever they're called. And Lynch is in an odd situation, as the author doesn't have an agent. Or at least did not for quite some time. Simon Spanton handles the business side of things for him.

It's been implied for many months now that Scott Lynch is dealing with what appears to be personal issues. As Adam pointed it, these delays might not even be due to any difficulties he experienced while writing.

Time will tell. . .

Patrick

Anne is GRRM's editor, but Hobb has moved on to Eos (HarperCollins) since the publication of The Soldier Son trilogy in the USA.

maybe that's why the editing seemed so markedly different on the Soldier Son books...

I hope Lynch is ok, all this stuff about personal issues sounds rather ominous!

• 3 weeks later...
New Orion Publishing Group catalogue says November 2009:

http://www.orionbooks.co.uk/extras/catalog...009-Jan2010.pdf

Interesting and potentially excellent news, though until we get confirmation don't entirely believe it etc etc.

Some other excellent news in that catalogue as well. A complete Lyonesse omnibus is way past due, and that is a brilliant cover for The Man in the High Castle.

Interesting that it is on the Gollancz Fall catalogue again, as it was also on the Summer catalogue if you remember, scheduled for July. As we know, that didn't happen, so it being in the catalogue doesn't necessarily mean it comes out. Though of course, all the other books in the Summer catalogue did come out, only the Lynch was delayed. Obviously, if it is in the catalogue it will probably be published, generally speaking.

For Gollancz to list it again, I don't know what to think of it, it seems awfully dumb to do that if the book is once again not yet finished. Yet that appears to be the case as of the last news we heard from the Bantam publisher, via Pat.

Archived