Whats games have you been playing of late? I'm Still Playing Morrowind.

Poobah

I read this blog-post the other day, about Penny-Arcade (they've been going for eleven years now), and the author was wondering if newer fans of the comic would appreciate the Tribes gags, or the jokes about "that John Romero chick", and I realised I was old. :(

On that note I went off and found out that Team 17 are doing a remake of Alien Breed, which was pure awesomeness on a stick when it was released in 1991. It was bascially a Gauntlet clone but done as a, er, 'homage' to Aliens. It was brilliance. This led to me trying to get the original to work on DOSBox for fricking ages before giving up and playing Flashback for a while.

I remembered the last time I played this I was going to give the thing a full replay but gave up. I was trying to remember why until I inadvertantly vapourised myself 25 minutes after the last save checkpoint and then remembered why. Totally awesome game in its day though. Its day being, of course, seventeen years ago. Sigh.

There were two Doom-style Alien Breed games on the Amiga. The first one was jerky and slow on a vanilla Amiga 1200 but ran like a dream when I stuck in an accelerator card with an extra 4 MB. A 6 MB computer... My Amiga was upgraded with a whopping half-gig hard drive. I've still got the Amiga, though it's been several years since I switched it on.

Alien Breed 3d 2: Killing Grounds was a bit more ambitious but failed somewhat. It came with two versions; A scaled down one aimed at the vanilla A1200 which didnt even have the guns showing. And an enhanced one that required at least 4 MB and could be done to show fullscreen, had the guns and all sorts of visual effects. But imho it never really lived up to the original Alien Breed 3D.

I have little interest in new hit MMORPG Aion, but this is awesome. When the GMs discover gold-raiders or other arseholes getting up to crap, instead of simply banning them, giant rabbits show up and kill them with flamethrowers.

Excellent :)

You on a PC or console?

PC4Me

ETA: Altitude...I dunno, man. If there were a demo, I'd check it out. And yeah, it's only $10. But I've been burned several times already on multiplayer games without notable communities, so I'll refrain until someone tells me it has a sizable player base. At the least.

ETA: Altitude...I dunno, man. If there were a demo, I'd check it out. And yeah, it's only $10. But I've been burned several times already on multiplayer games without notable communities, so I'll refrain until someone tells me it has a sizable player base. At the least.

There is a demo.

Finished Mass Effect. That was a little short. Also a little easy. Also the weakest Bioware RPG I've played. Still good, mind, just not great. Now onto Jade Empire!

Now Bioware did KOTOR right? I remember hearing stellar things about that game and actually playing it I really had a hard time getting into it. I forced myself through because I really wanted to play as a Jedi, then once I became a Jedi it was enough to keep me passively interested. It wasn't until the story twist (and I didn't see it coming, at all...though I figured it out just before the reveal) that I got hooked. By then the story is ultimately done, but it becomes fairly compelling for a game at that point. I liked to role play as a huge light side guy who is crushed by the revelation then falls deep into the darkside, etc. Still, in the end, I think KOTOR was the weakest Bioware game I've played.

Assuming it's Bioware. I can't remember.

I just picked up Dragon Age. I'm not starting off with huge marathon playing sessions. We picked it up...Thursday, and I'm about 1.5 hours in with Thursday night, Friday and Saturday off so far. I imagine I'll get into it more as time goes on. I've found myself clicking through far less dialogue than in other Bioware games. Assuming Dragon Age is Bioware. I think it is. Hell I can't remember though I do know it flashes on the screen and forces you to watch the logo without being able to skip it (maddening I tell you). But I never really paid attention to the name.

I'm also playing through the Force Unleashed again and going for all the holocrons and stuff. It's cool finding these different costumes and stuff. I'm kind of on a Star Wars kick right now. Playing KOTOR again on my old computer (once you become a Jedi I do think it becomes a far better game), and the Force Unleashed is great except that it can be frustrating as hell sometimes.

Also with the new Wii my son and I are fitting in some time for Mario Kart and the new Super Mario Wii game. I try to hide all my gaming from him and do it while he's sleeping so I don't come off as a hypocrite when I tell him we can't play games all day.

Oh, and when I get bored I play Tales of Vesperia in between. I'm taking that one at a real slow pace.

Also with the new Wii my son and I are fitting in some time for Mario Kart and the new Super Mario Wii game. I try to hide all my gaming from him and do it while he's sleeping so I don't come off as a hypocrite when I tell him we can't play games all day.

Off-topic; I'm glad your son's well enough now for gaming with you. :)

On-topic; I feel there's a tipping point in many games where it flips to becoming easy. Common in Final Fantasy games where you get all the cool weapons and suddenly the ending is far easier than the things you did to get the weapons. Anyone else find this incurably annoying?

Finished Mass Effect. That was a little short. Also a little easy. Also the weakest Bioware RPG I've played. Still good, mind, just not great. Now onto Jade Empire!

Just play it on Insanity with your Engineer, if it is too easy for you. Have fun :D

I am playing Mass Effect, too. I want to be prepared for ME2

Finished the MW2 single-player last night.

Once the shit hits the fan, the story actually becomes pretty bearable. Bearable as in, the missions themselves are very fun, but the story still makes no goddamn sense. Seriously, half the time, I wasn't sure what I was doing in some missions, why I was doing them, and why some things were occuring. Maybe I missed some important story clues while I was busy filling russians with magazine after magazine of bullets, but most of the time shit just HAPPENS and I'm left there thinking 'Okay, I'll just kill more russians until more shit happens, then I'll follow that dot on my screen.'

At least the missions themselves were cool. Lots of really neat set-pieces in there.

Just play it on Insanity with your Engineer, if it is too easy for you. Have fun :D

Are you a masochist? The game doesn’t really get more difficult on insanity, it just ramps up enemy hitpoints and damage reduction. It can take ages to kill some random merc on insanity, particularly if you miss with Warp. Not my idea of fun.

Archived