House of Undying Visions - potential DwD spoilers

Arianne Flint

14. a white lion running through grass taller than a man

I don't think this is a reference to the Lannisters at all : in GoT Khal Drogo hunts and kills a hrakkar, a rare white lion that lives in the Dothraki Sea where the grass is so thick and tall that it gives the impression of waves (thus the name Dothraki Sea). Dany has a pelt made from the white lion and wears it for some time during ACoK.

Both Greyjoys want to marry her. I think the bride of fire sequence refers to significant husbands just like the slayer of lies refer to significant lies that she must slay. Neither of which say that she must only do/have those three.

The Hizdahr thing doesn't bother me that much. The fact that she is prophesied to have three betrayals doesn't mean she will only have three betrayals in the future, just that those three in particular will have a major impact on her life. Likewise, she may very well have more than three husbands, but only three of them will truly be important to her in the grand scheme of things.

ETA--Looks like ARYa_Nym made basically the same argument, so kudos for that. :)

Sure it's plausible, but I just don't want to see Dany as a type of magical & deadly Moll Flanders with dragons. Not to mention the fact that we already have one black widow female character in the making in Margery Tyrell, must we have another? I hope not.

I tend to think it's Balon more than Victarion because the guy's already described as a corpse. I guess it could point to Victarion eventually dying, but ...?

Someone at the "prow of a ship" could also be read to be a visual interpretation of a king (i.e. a leader).

Balon is already a corpse. I think that you mean Euron.

Balon is already a corpse. I think that you mean Euron.

No, I meant Balon. The corpse at the prow of the ship. Not all of the visions were futuristic; many of them had already happened. When I write something, I usually know what I mean. :P

But if the connection with the husbands is true — I hope it's not because the idea of Jon and Dany makes me feel physically ill; why do people actually want this to happen? — then yeah, it's probably Victarion.

I find this all very interesting because my mind went in different directions with a few of these. I too saw the part where you have daughter of death, slayer of lies, and bride of fire to create specific sections of text that go together. For me the section from the red sword to the beast breathing shadow fire was entirely about Stannis at some point winning a victory and that Dany is to slay the lies of Melisandre's false interpretation of the prophecy and her visions. And my first thought about the corpse a the prow of the ship with the bright eyes, being followed by the blue flower in the crack of the wall, was that it was Jon, turned into a wight. But that is of course because of the end of ADwD and no way is he dead before learning his partentage.

If there's truth to the husbands interpretation (I really hope not, if she and Jon copulate I might have to burn something), the Greyjoy would likelier be Victarion than Balon, even though the "corpse" thing points more toward Balon. I still think it's a Greyjoy; the Aemon thing makes no sense to me, sorry folks.

One chink in the husbands interpretation: Where's Hizdahr?

Mount could mean husband, but a second interpretation could be that mount could mean king. With the Dothraki, a khal is the closest thing to a king, so Khal Drogo fits both interpretations. The mount to dread would be Hizdhar zo Loraq, she dreaded their marriage and his actions as king. The mount to love, per R+L=J, could be Jon, there are more than one ways to love, she could learn to love Jon as an aunt loves her nephew other than as a lover. Plus, Mormont's raven has a habit of saying "King" in Jon's presence.

Mount could mean husband, but a second interpretation could be that mount could mean king. With the Dothraki, a khal is the closest thing to a king, so Khal Drogo fits both interpretations. The mount to dread would be Hizdhar zo Loraq, she dreaded their marriage and his actions as king. The mount to love, per R+L=J, could be Jon, there are more than one ways to love, she could learn to love Jon as an aunt loves her nephew other than as a lover. Plus, Mormont's raven has a habit of saying "King" in Jon's presence.

At this point, I really couldn't care less what Dany does or who she marries. I just want Jon to stay out of it.

11. The little girl running towards a building with red door. I always thought was Arya first entering the House of Black and White. I believe the door was red.

If Dany is seeing the vision, you would think she would recognize her younger self, if that girl was her

No, I meant Balon. The corpse at the prow of the ship. Not all of the visions were futuristic; many of them had already happened. When I write something, I usually know what I mean. :P

But if the connection with the husbands is true — I hope it's not because the idea of Jon and Dany makes me feel physically ill; why do people actually want this to happen? — then yeah, it's probably Victarion.

Could this refer to Moqorro,who stood on the prow of the Selaesori Qhoran throughout the storm,getting thrown overboard and rescued by Victarion 10 days later?

I was OK with that theory until ADWD and Hizdhar. Daeny as the Liz Taylor of ASOIAF, with 3 prophesied husbands, and god knows how many the prophecies missed, is not something I'm willing to consider. Also, Jon + Dany = Ewww.

Rather than husbands, I see bride of fire as being 3 men in her life who, via their sacrifice, will hep her and her dragons achieve their destiny. Drogo's death helped birth the dragons. Victarion will likely be the one to get her to Westeros and die, possibly burn for it. As to Jon..... ? I have no idea.

I agree to an extent, but I have a problem with the 3 husbands interpretation just based on that scene, without even considering subsequent events. There is plenty of discussion about how she is not going to literally 'kill' the lies, but I almost never see mentioned that daughter of death shows her two dead brothers and a never-born son rather than say, her parents.

So daughter of death is about people dying and forcing her life down certain paths? (Or rather, blocking other paths - Rhaegar dying forced her exile, Viserys and Rhaegos deaths both prevented planned reconquests.) And slayer of lies is about her revealing truths? A bride is perhaps someone joining in a union or partnership, not stictly limiting it to marriage, and fire is as much change as it is destruction. So yeah, I think destiny is a good word, men that will pivot points in her life, although I don't see a sacrifice aspect to it.

11. The little girl running towards a building with red door. I always thought was Arya first entering the House of Black and White. I believe the door was red.

I believe the door to the House of Black and White was itself black and white.

The house with the red door is almost certainly the house Dany stayed in while in Braavos.

If Dany is seeing the vision, you would think she would recognize her younger self, if that girl was her

I think Dany would not recognize herself as a child running (and facing) away from her. At any rate, I do believe the house is the one she lived in while she was in Braavos. She has very fond memories of this house and often refers to the red door when she thinks of it.

13. This is the guy who tried to poison Dany in the market. He was stripped naked, tied to her horse and made to follow the khalasar. Eventually he couldn't keep up, died and was just dragged along.

I had forgotten this! Thanks!

It's important to note that certain visions are grouped in threes and followed by an epithet for Dany (e.g. daughter of death, slayer of lies, bride of fire), suggesting that they are all connected thematically. So, for instance, the slayer of lies epithet appears to refer to the visions of the blue-eyed king, the mummer's dragon, and the stone dragon, suggesting that these are the lies Dany must slay. And the bride of fire epithet links the visions of Dany's silver, the corpse on a ship, and the blue flower. Many people interpret these visions to represent Dany's husbands, both past and future. IMO, her silver represents Drogo, the blue flower clearly represents Jon, while the corpse on the ship represents who-knows-who (though at this point I'm leaning toward a Greyjoy).

If this is the case, then I agree the blue-eyed king is Stannis. It's been a long time since I read the book, and I've since decided that I prefer Jon as Azor Ahai than Stannis or Dany. It was really the red sword that gave me the impression that the vision was referring to Azor Ahai (or rather, someone who thought he was Azor Ahai). However, this interpretation seems to suggest that Dany is Azor Ahai.

I'm still unsure about the stone dragon; I think Dragonstone is the only castle we've seen so far that has such carvings. . . perhaps a reference to Aegon? (personally I was getting a little tired of all the Targaryen relatives that started popping up in DwD, although it makes sense in a "real" world)

I am fine with it being an allusion the hrakkar that Drogo hunts and presents to Dany. However, I am also intrigued at the possibility of it being Jaime. We all accept that Jaime can be the 'white lion' by merit of him being a Lannister and the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, but the taller than grass thing gives us troube

I know that this is a bit analytical, but what if it is an allusion to the fact that Jaime is trying to fill a position that, by his own admission, has been filled by men much more honorably than him. It would make the 'grass' representative of former Lord Commanders who rose above the common station of the average man, and Jaime is like a lion just roaming through it, hoping to meet the measure of his predecessors.

I am fine with it being an allusion the hrakkar that Drogo hunts and presents to Dany. However, I am also intrigued at the possibility of it being Jaime. We all accept that Jaime can be the 'white lion' by merit of him being a Lannister and the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, but the taller than grass thing gives us troube

I know that this is a bit analytical, but what if it is an allusion to the fact that Jaime is trying to fill a position that, by his own admission, has been filled by men much more honorably than him. It would make the 'grass' representative of former Lord Commanders who rose above the common station of the average man, and Jaime is like a lion just roaming through it, hoping to meet the measure of his predecessors.

The only thing that I don't like about this is that all of the other prophecies/visions have a somewhat direct effect on Dany's life. So far she has no idea who Jaime is (aside from mention that he killed Aerys), let alone the fact that he is the Lord Commander of the KG, and the fact that he is trying to fill much larger shoes in his position really doesn't have any effect on Dany...

I actually just re-read that chapter recently after all the taljk in the forums. The thing that interested me was the vision of the lord with the copper hair and dark skin under the fiery stallion in front of a burning city. It could be Rhaego, something that was supposed to be. I also looked for other answers and it could be a reference to Bittersteel. Bittersteel's mother was a Bracken and he took the red horse of the Bracken sigil. Many people on the forum have talked that "Aegon" is not the actual Aegon but a Blackfyre. A possible descendant of Bittersteel?

The only thing that I don't like about this is that all of the other prophecies/visions have a somewhat direct effect on Dany's life. So far she has no idea who Jaime is (aside from mention that he killed Aerys), let alone the fact that he is the Lord Commander of the KG, and the fact that he is trying to fill much larger shoes in his position really doesn't have any effect on Dany...

I accept that. However, there are already several established prophecies that deal with things that are not directly related to Dany any more than this. For example, the Red Wedding is in no way directly related to Dany. We can assume that it might one day relate to her, or have indirect implications concerning her. But if we do that for the Red Wedding, then we must also allow that Jaime's actions could indeed have some indirect implications on Dany.

Archived