Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full-Faced Braavosi

A Compendium of Theories

402 posts in this topic

Here's the thread on Oberyn and Tywin:

Oberyn Poisoned Tywin

A rundown of the evidence that Oberyn Martell had manged to poison Tywin Lannister with the substance known as "Widow's Blood" and subsequent discussion

This is awesome, I guess you worked pretty hard on it

Thanks - took a couple of hours. But really, I love reading these theories, so it was part work and part fun.

Very cool! :cheers:

Thanks!

Here's the thread on Oberyn and Tywin:

Oberyn Poisoned Tywin

A rundown of the evidence that Oberyn Martell had manged to poison Tywin Lannister with the substance known as "Widow's Blood" and subsequent discussion

Perfect! The process of compending has begun. Thanks for the addition.

This is the first foray to the book section in quite a long time, and it is just to say thank you for all of your work here. Excellent job.

Nothing on the Hooded Man at Winterfell ?

Jeyne of wide and narrow hips

Didnt GRRM said this was just a mistake of his ?

If he did I'm sure the pregnant Jeyne theory would be dismissed by everyone, so I don't think so.

You can do a search of those missing topics & you will find them,I did that for Septa Lemore/Ashara Dayne right after I came to that conclusion myself. (I didn't want to start a thread that had been covered before.)

great job putting all this together.

Excellent work!

You are missing one of my favourites though. The Great Northern Conspiracy.

The Northern Lords are aware of Robb's will and are playing Stannis and Ramsey against each other with the goal of crowning Jon (Stark) King in the North.

Excellent work!

http://asoiaf.wester...acy-reexamined/

The Northern Lords are aware of Robb's will and are playing Stannis and Ramsey against each other with the goal of crowning Jon (Stark) King in the North.

Have they started volume 2 of that yet?

What a wonderful resource! Thank you for putting it together. My only suggestion for improvement is to call it A Compendium of Theories rather than using "The" or nothing at all, just for stylistic consistency's sake. :)

Regarding additions, might I suggest "Southron Ambitions," my colleague Stefan Sasse's masterful exploration of the theory advanced by Lady Barbrey Dustin that Lord Rickard Stark was embroiled in a conspiracy with the other great houses, predicated on intermarriage and instigated by southern-born maesters?

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/01/05-southron-ambitions/index.html

This is the first foray to the book section in quite a long time, and it is just to say thank you for all of your work here. Excellent job.

great job putting all this together.

Thanks! I appreciate the appreciation.

"Jeyne Westerling"

I'll add that to the missing theories list.

After I spent a couple hours building this, I figured it would go faster if I just posted it and enabled others to help me put it together.

If he did I'm sure the pregnant Jeyne theory would be dismissed by everyone, so I don't think so.

I have no idea if he said anything about it, though if someone has a source, that'd be great. A very cursory search did not reveal anything, though did show a great summary of the theory from TotH, which I'll add shortly.

You can do a search of those missing topics & you will find them,I did that for Septa Lemore/Ashara Dayne right after I came to that conclusion myself. (I didn't want to start a thread that had been covered before.)

Yes, of course, I can, but it's always easier if people pitch in. In addition, I'm looking for well put together posts on the matter, not threads that if you read through 20 pages, you'll have enough information to write down the theory yourself.

Excellent work!

Thanks, I'll add it in!

What a wonderful resource! Thank you for putting it together. My only suggestion for improvement is to call it A Compendium of Theories rather than using "The" or nothing at all, just for stylistic consistency's sake. :)

Regarding additions, might I suggest "Southron Ambitions," my colleague Stefan Sasse's masterful exploration of the theory advanced by Lady Barbrey Dustin that Lord Rickard Stark was embroiled in a conspiracy with the other great houses, predicated on intermarriage and instigated by southern-born maesters?

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2012/01/05-southron-ambitions/index.html

I'll do just that.

And I'll add that theory - I'm about to scour TotH to see if I can find some more, it seems to have a lot of well written posts on these questions.

I think you missed about the real plans of LF but this is a great theorys and shortly and easy to catch, but there are really no proof if Aegon is really Targ or Blackfire I think on WOW will answer that and in DOS will be known to everybody (or not), if is a lie and he sit on Throne everybody will think he is a Targ and not a Blackfire and we know the truth and this will be Oh man this can´t be happening :frown5: Stannis wil sit I hope he is the only king who ismy favorite either Robb was so badass than him).

Piecing Together Varys as a Blackfyre

"Varys is a Blackfyre. Aegon is the son of Illyrio and Serra who is Varys sister. Varys and Illyrio as information brokers were aware that Aerys sent Steffon Baratheon to the Free Cities to look for a bride for Rhaegar but could not find someone of Valyrian blood and sufficient high birth. Illyrio married the daughter of a Pentos Noble to give him sufficient noble status while Varys left for Kings Landing. Illyrio had his wife disposed of and then married Varys sister with the intention of marrying their son to a Targaryen heir and then eliminating any competition for the throne..."

Varys is an interesting character for me. The thing that grabs my attention more than anything is when he was cut. IIRC, there was blood ritual and speaking of "tongue" for the lack of a better explanationl.

I think Varys story arc is going to be important before we see A Dream of Spring.

I think you missed about the real plans of LF but this is a great theorys and shortly and easy to catch, but there are really no proof if Aegon is really Targ or Blackfire I think on WOW will answer that and in DOS will be known to everybody (or not), if is a lie and he sit on Throne everybody will think he is a Targ and not a Blackfire and we know the truth and this will be Oh man this can´t be happening :frown5: Stannis wil sit I hope he is the only king who ismy favorite either Robb was so badass than him).

I definitely missed it, hence why I listed it as a missing theory in the list. If any could post a link to a good working theory, that'd be great.

Varys is an interesting character for me. The thing that grabs my attention more than anything is when he was cut. IIRC, there was blood ritual and speaking of "tongue" for the lack of a better explanationl.

I think Varys story arc is going to be important before we see A Dream of Spring.

Varys is definitely one of the most interesting characters to me (if not THE most interesting). He's clearly manipulating a lot behind the scenes, but we are unsure of his end goal. This is what gives rise to the theories of the Blackfyres and (F)aegon. Definitely believe Aegon will be a main storyline of TWOW, though I'm unsure if Varys will unveil his true thoughts/knowledge on the matter for a while.

I've been adding some more theories (some from the list of missing ones, some I've just run across). With some of the smaller theories, I've been having trouble finding a good, fully formed explanation of the theory as opposed to just a thread discussing the idea.

I haven't done much searching on the big questions yet, but would really appreciate if anyone had ideas/links on those if they posted them (e.g. Varys/Illyrio plotting, Littlefinger, (F)aegon, AA/TPTWP, etc.).

Again, feel free to add theories or just ideas to the missing theories list.

Also, if anyone feels like editing/adding/adjusting the descriptions of the plots, I'd be more than happy to change them (I haven't always read the theories, so I'm sometimes just skimming to get a good summary).

Thank you for assembling all those together, I'll be sure to post here if I come accross some well founded theories that aren't on the list.

And I think this thread should be pinned as it would be something many people look for.

Thank you. I bookmarked this page. Please do the Benjen one asap :)

Also Hooded Man in Winterfell :)

Maybe add theories for Hardhome and the fate of The Wall?