vikings! on the history channel? what the hell?

MercenaryChef

There is also speculation that rus is from a area now called Roslagen on the swedish east coast. What is true I don't know. Most similar theories are based on 19th century period romanticism and not serious history. It's still fun to read about but should not be taken too seriously.

The period is full of invasion and pillaging so it is not exactly like central Europe was full of hand holding Christians. The difference must have been that it was ok to pillage monasteries and churches for the vikings. The Christians had to crusade east and south when they wanted to do the same.

Good to hear that it is a decent show. I guess I should start my hbo Nordic subscription a month early. From what I understand it is a hbo - history channel collaboration.

I thought the dialogue was frequently kind of terrible, actually, but the rest more or less worked.

Same here. I think this has lots of potential. It can be a really good show if they could find a way to tell their story in a slightly more clever / subtle way. The dialogue in particular is way too simplistic.

It is a show about Vikings on the History channel, how could it not be worth watching?

Because it's a scripted show.

That and their "The Bible" series are both just crap. I appreciate their effort to, y'know, actually do something historical that isn't a reality show, but this isn't the way.

I thought it was pretty good. Considering the standard fair for most of tv is complete and utter shit, i'm amused by the disdain expressed by some for what is essentially just a show that does not have the funding and freedom of HBO.

I liked it.

I thought it was pretty good. Considering the standard fair for most of tv is complete and utter shit, i'm amused by the disdain expressed by some for what is essentially just a show that does not have the funding and freedom of HBO.

I liked it.

I am in complete agreement here. It is obviously not a huge budgeted or marketed show, but it is still pretty well done.

I have said this before, but we are really spoiled and desensitized to entertainment now. If this show were to have come out when I was a kid, it would have been the best thing in the world.

I am in complete agreement here. It is obviously not a huge budgeted or marketed show, but it is still pretty well done.

I have said this before, but we are really spoiled and desensitized to entertainment now. If this show were to have come out when I was a kid, it would have been the best thing in the world.

very true. the standards for television, especially serial drama, are so high now.

i would have loved this show ten years ago. now i'm just mad noone is doing a version of the icelandic sagas

I saw the first episode it was a decent set up for a series. I was expecting it to start with them going west but it seems we will see them spending a lot of time in Norway first. I liked Gustaf Skarsgård as the shipbuilder. He was a nice contrast to all the serious martial men and women.

Well, I saw 2nd episode and I think it is worse than first one. Not really bad, so I will still watch 3rd episode.

The whole voyage west was pretty short and unspectacular. I thought the series would be about them in single ship raiding West (after such long setup, solar navigation etc.), but now it looks like they are already returning back and the 3rd episode will be situated again in their homeland. Which might be good,because based on this episode just raiding England would have been boring, I'm more interested about intrigues on kings/jarls court.

I did catch up on the first episode. I liked it. It looked really good. But I walked away from it thinkin it was a lot of steak, but I wasn't sure where the sizzle was going to come from. Right now, this story is very straight forward with little indication (other than the brother coming on to the wife) that there is depth to these characters and people. That there is more to what we've seen. It'll be very interesting to see if they find that.

I've only seen the first episode, but I really liked it. Excellent production values... Different than GOT, but spectacular in its own way.

As for historical accuracy... Some lapses for sure. :) (being Swedish I'd like to think I know some about the subject), but the strong (IMO) characters and consistent portrayal of the society won me over easily. The best part was the 'trial' - I don't remember much about Viking-era law & practices, but it was portrayed well.

The biggest oddity is the east vs. west thing... The epic scenery certainly gives the impression that this is Norway. But they traditionally raided west, while the Swedish area Vikings traditionally raided east. Nonetheless I'll give it a pass.

Man, I love this show. A great substitute for Game Of Thrones, and just a great show in general. Watched the third episode on History.com and the ending to it was fantastic and really setting up a great series. Travis Fimmel is fantastic as Ragnar, Clive Standen's a badass as usual, and the rest of the cast can really hold their own.

What I want to know is if this is going to be a TV series with seasons, or a mini-series as some are calling it. Most sites are referring to it as a series, not miniseries, and I think I read somewhere History has 3 more seasons planned if season 1 gets good ratings.

From what I understand it's HC's first swing at a scripted series, so yes if it goes well, and it seems to be, expect more seasons. Imdb has 9 eps listed for this one.

I like it so far. Nothing spectacular and Gabriel Byrne makes for an exceptionally boring villain but it's early yet. Def worth checking out.

I've only seen the first episode, but I really liked it. Excellent production values... Different than GOT, but spectacular in its own way.

As for historical accuracy... Some lapses for sure. :) (being Swedish I'd like to think I know some about the subject), but the strong (IMO) characters and consistent portrayal of the society won me over easily. The best part was the 'trial' - I don't remember much about Viking-era law & practices, but it was portrayed well.

The biggest oddity is the east vs. west thing... The epic scenery certainly gives the impression that this is Norway. But they traditionally raided west, while the Swedish area Vikings traditionally raided east. Nonetheless I'll give it a pass.

i think it might actually be denmark

i think theyre overplaying the, we used to go west, now we go east thing to seem more monumental, and are playing loose with history a bit, condensing peoples a bit

To be honest, i like this show more than GOT. Martin's work is so over the top sometimes that it feels like a caricature. I like the actions and reactions of the Vikings in this show. I like the sense of other that just smokes off the characters. Not alot of overly over dramatic acting, simply a group of people doing what they do. No melodrama, no incest, just the right amount of intrigue. Gabriel Byrne is what a true villain is probably like, powerful, but normal-like. He's not some moustache twirling villain.

The second episode was better than the first. The attack on Lindisfarne, which is a well documented and famous attack, was pretty awesome for how low key it was. These guys are soldiers and reavers, but they are not over the top raiders like they are depicted in so many movies. Just a bunch of guys going to work every day, and their work happens to be killing. There is no hatred in it, its just a job.

And i think the guy playing Ragnar is doing a superb job. Very understated, but with a touch of madness to him that i like. In this day and age of over the top acting its sort of nice to see shows and actors trying to portray historical figures less as caricatures and more like everyday folk trying to make a life for themselves.

Also - i liked that the sea voyage wasn't an episode and a half of slogging across the ocean. I also like that Vladimir Kulich, who played Buliwyf in the criminally underated 13th Warrior, is in the show. That man is made from viking drawings turned into flesh.

Allright, i'm a big fan. Also, the introduction song fucking rocks my socks.

Archived