Community: To The Bitter End...and Beyond

Datepalm

Saying it is as good as those shows is more insulting than anything I had said previously about Community. The first 3 seasons could never be compared to such dribble but that is how far this season has fallen to be compared to the likes of cougartown. It has nothing to do with me having to like it less than anyone else. I was invested in a show that NBC took and raped in a George Lucas fashion. So I say again I am sorry that I didn't explain my bitching. Herstory of Dance could pass as a season 1-3 episode I wouldnt call it top 10 or 15 though. Also I thought this thread was about Community? So I come here in the hopes to talk about previous seasons. Also it is titled "To the bitter end" I don't think the outlook on this show is to sunny. My fault for going along with that theme.

eh, the present seasons of suburg is comparable to community season one

question though. do you watch a multitude of shows that you despise or do you just broadly condemn shows that you dont watch

eh, the present seasons of suburg is comparable to community season one

question though. do you watch a multitude of shows that you despise or do you just broadly condemn shows that you dont watch

If by that you mean Cougartown and Suburgatory? Then no I have watched both. Granted never from episode one, but all the same they are not anywhere near the top tier of TV no matter what the current state of it is. Neither is outright terrible and I like a few of the actors from Suburgatory but its just not my bag. I like that the people running cougertown let Danny Pudi on the set as an extra that is awesome, the show not so much. I should explain that my job takes place in a home setting so TV is a constant fixture in my life, and at work I am not in control of what I watch so yes I do actually end up watching shows that I despise. You seem to miss the point though, when did I say I despise Community? Only that the current state of the show doesn't warrant a 5th season and that with the sad state of affairs at NBC they might end up with one anyhow. Who knows maybe the showrunners given more time and the previous experience with what worked and didn't work in season 4 they could maybe put out a better product. You can say I am a cynic or hate watching or whatever but I am just being realistic.

Okay, so I finally saw a few episodes. Among my other questions is; why do people talk about the brunette's chest so much? I fully expected something remarkable. Anyways, as a show it seems to me to be something of a donut. Support characters are solid, but the lead isn't a lead.

If by that you mean Cougartown and Suburgatory? Then no I have watched both. Granted never from episode one, but all the same they are not anywhere near the top tier of TV no matter what the current state of it is. Neither is outright terrible and I like a few of the actors from Suburgatory but its just not my bag. I like that the people running cougertown let Danny Pudi on the set as an extra that is awesome, the show not so much. I should explain that my job takes place in a home setting so TV is a constant fixture in my life, and at work I am not in control of what I watch so yes I do actually end up watching shows that I despise. You seem to miss the point though, when did I say I despise Community? Only that the current state of the show doesn't warrant a 5th season and that with the sad state of affairs at NBC they might end up with one anyhow. Who knows maybe the showrunners given more time and the previous experience with what worked and didn't work in season 4 they could maybe put out a better product. You can say I am a cynic or hate watching or whatever but I am just being realistic.

so then youre just really mad that the new community season is something like the 6th best comedy in your opinion?

but no, theyre not top tier. i think i was pretty specific in describing the tiers.

Okay, so I finally saw a few episodes. Among my other questions is; why do people talk about the brunette's chest so much? I fully expected something remarkable. Anyways, as a show it seems to me to be something of a donut. Support characters are solid, but the lead isn't a lead.

first, i disagree, second, "annies boobs" is the name of the monkey. thats what theyre often talking about.

and yeah, there isnt a true lead. not all shows need one

so then youre just really mad that the new community season is something like the 6th best comedy in your opinion?

but no, theyre not top tier. i think i was pretty specific in describing the tiers.

first, i disagree, second, "annies boobs" is the name of the monkey. thats what theyre often talking about.

and yeah, there isnt a true lead. not all shows need one

I can tell life from TV, Jeff. TV makes sense, it has structure, logic, rules and likeable leading men. In life we have this. We have you.

me too. it has declined. but declined is very relative here.

its below its pantheon level achievement.

If there's a silver lining to this season is it makes crystal clear how effortlessly great the show was when it was hitting on all cylinders. It's still a really entertaining 30 minute block of team, it's just no longer a show that's doing things no other sitcom would ever dream of.

But it's made clear to me that Season 2 of Community is on the very short list of greatest sitcom seasons of all time. Even Season 3 pales in comparison in terms of consistent week after week awesomeness.

But it's made clear to me that Season 2 of Community is on the very short list of greatest sitcom seasons of all time. Even Season 3 pales in comparison in terms of consistent week after week awesomeness.

I'm a big fan of all three seasons together, but Season 2 probably has the top tier episodes. I like the early S1 stuff for its emotional beats and foundation, and I think S3 offers more character development than S2.

I have to admit that considering today is the possible series finale, fate has called my bluff. I'd rather get another season of mediocre just to have new adventures for the Greendale 7.

I have to admit that considering today is the possible series finale, fate has called my bluff. I'd rather get another season of mediocre just to have new adventures for the Greendale 7.

If they want to have a mediocre season 5 I'll be ok with it if they do me the favor of bringing back

Well. If that's it, it wasn't the most compelling of endings, but an episode in Jeff's mind mediated through the Darkest Timeline and paintball seems about right. Interestingly there was no resolution of the City College plot, but perhaps there might be another season. Or... #FourSeasonsandaMovie?

I'd be down with that.

Well. If that's it, it wasn't the most compelling of endings, but an episode in Jeff's mind mediated through the Darkest Timeline and paintball seems about right. Interestingly there was no resolution of the City College plot, but perhaps there might be another season. Or... #FourSeasonsandaMovie?

I'd be down with that.

Rather 'meh' episode, though I do appreciate them cluing us in early that it was fake [and in someone's mind].

Regarding Parks and Rec. It took me about 6 episodes into season 3 to finally enjoy this show. I watched most of season 1 and 2 live just because it was on and didn't care for it much. Then stopped watching completely in season 3, now I'm catching up and loving it.

With Community, I'd put the episode before last, basic human anatomy or something, in the top 10 of the series. I really really loved it. But yeah I'm still enjoying this series this season, but I also notice its frequent miss beats. The only episode I'd classify as really bad is the puppets one.

Also, if anyone who liked Modern Family in season 1 and then left because it got stale in seasons 2 and 3, I don't know if it's just me but I think Season 4 the show has gotten right back on track, it's been brilliant with most episodes but of course there were still one or two clunkers.

Also anyone who hasn't watched/been watching Raising Hope, you are really missing out on a great sitcom. Especially for people who love inside jokes. The show sometimes kind of goes "SEE! SEE! SEE!" with them like an ADHD 5 year old waving a picture they drew in the air. But they're also really subtle too. Like in the pilot episode there was a character "the cousin" and in the next episode he was gone, no explanation. In season 3 they did a 2012 end of the world episode and they were doing flashbacks about how long they've been preparing for it. In one flashback they have the cast plus "the cousin" back talking about 2012 and "the cousin" says "What a horrible thought. Being there one day and being gone the next, like we never existed. No explanation at all. I'd hate that to happen to me!"

Some really funny stuff going on and worth checking out. Burt who played in Deadwood before this is the greatest character on the show.

I absolutely love all the My Name is Earl references!

If thays the end, im ok with it. More sweet, and awesome then straight funny. But it was very well done. And the door was nicely left open if they do get one more

Eta the only thing that didnt work for me was the actual showdowns.

Other than wanting to complain about the use of a dream sequence. Then the words of Christopher Walken rang in my head.

''I know you said dream sequences are for fags, but I think it could work. We all gotta dream, don't we ?... not just fags, oh by the way I don't think they like being called fags anymore, I think nowadays they prefer homo's''

It was certainly one of the best episodes of the season. Chang had a redeeming moment. Friendship!!!

Well, that was definitely an improvement, if not exactly brilliant. For a few minutes there I thought the show had really gone off in SF (well, my exact thought was "Damn it, this is going to lose to the Red Wedding episode, or more likely Dr. Who, at the Hugos.) and I had a sad little fantasy of season 5 being a massive, season-long interdimesional war arc. (...still missing T:TSCC.) Alas, not to be. I'll be happy if they get another season anyway.

As someone who really hasn't enjoyed most of this season, the last episode really suprised me by genuinely making me laugh. I really liked it. It doesn't really redeem this last season as a whole, but now I have three stronger episodes from this season to look back on: the inspector spacetime ep, the one where Dean pretends to be Jeff, and the finale. And to be honest, I've never thought that the weaker episodes were bad.Not feeling so bitter about the show any more. This seems like a good note to end it on.

Other than wanting to complain about the use of a dream sequence. Then the words of Christopher Walken rang in my head.

''I know you said dream sequences are for fags, but I think it could work. We all gotta dream, don't we ?... not just fags, oh by the way I don't think they like being called fags anymore, I think nowadays they prefer homo's''

Where is the like function when I need it?

Archived