[BOOK SPOILERS] Season 5 episode 9 event?

KamiShikkaku

Lady Olenna was horrible, but then again so were all the Tyrells ranging from wannabe queen Anne Boleyn, to gay stereotype Loras and of course Lady Graham herself (seriously, I never liked her in the books but here they really shoved her "witty" remarks down viewers throat, did she really need freaking scenes with everybody in KL? Instead of you know spending time with Robb or Jon or ... any storyline that is actually relevant to the story, they just decided to go with LOOK AT THIS WITTY OLD LADY, LAUGH ABOUT HER REMARKS HA HA FUNNY FUNNY)

I disliked how she never got anything done. In the meeting with Tyrion she capitulates and gives in to his demands, and the same thing with Tywin. How much is that wit worth when the Lannisters keep getting one over her? Maybe they're trying to set up that the Tyrells needed these figures out of the equation to run KL their way, but I thought it was fine as it was in the books.

The mutiny at Crater's keep was amazing and one of the best scenes in the series IMO. The actor they got to play the NW brother who kills Craster did an incredible job. I really hope they get more like him because he put half the cast to shame in less than a minute with his performance.

Agreed. I hope Burn Gorman appears again. He seems too big an actor to just have that five minute scene.

I disliked how she never got anything done. In the meeting with Tyrion she capitulates and gives in to his demands, and the same thing with Tywin. How much is that wit worth when the Lannisters keep getting one over her?

The discussion with Tyrion was most likely her attempt to ensure the PW went smoothly. If the Tyrells are contributing half then they will have far greater control of events at the wedding. So really she wins out.

My two cents:

I'd bet anything that Jon's assassination will be the final image of Season 5, Episode 10.

Thus far, every season finale has been by and large "safe" because they were preceded by a far more climactic Episode 9. So, let's say they keep with the Episode 9 event tradition (say, Dany and the dragon). Then you get to the finale, and at this point, audiences have been trained to think the show will use the finale to simply setup what's to come. But instead, they're hit by a pretty nasty surprise...

I really sound like a broken record, but I'm so into this idea, I have to rehash it.

It's just a perfect GoT twist for the show-only viewer. Jon rallies the Watch to take up arms against Ramsay, only to be "killed" in the midst of all the jubilation.

Now, if nobody minds, I'd like to get back to the issue of splitting up the AFFC/ADWD storylines for seasons 5 & 6. I just had an epiphany of sorts regarding Jon Snow's storyline.

Many of us assume that the Lord Commander's election will happen in season 4, maybe even before or concurrently to the battle(s) of the Wall. However, I think it would be detrimental for Jon's arc if he was elected Lord Commander before the battle. Furthermore I think Stannis should be present at the election, but probably won't arrive at Castle Black before episode 9. That would leave only episode 10 for the election, which I don't think is feasible because they need that episode to finish a lot of other story arcs.

Therefore it would be wise to move the election to S5. And who knows, maybe they're doing just that? We've had no news about Bowen Marsh, Cotter Pyke or Denys Mallister to be cast and I think we need at least two of them in the election arc. I would save the rest of S5 for Jon's dealings with Stannis, sending off Sam, the executions of Janos Slynt and "Mance Rayder" and the Wildlings passing through the Wall. So Jon's S5 arc would consist of the chapters Jon XII (ASOS) to Jon IV (ADWD). The order of events can certainly be changed a bit. That would leave the rest of ADWD for S6.

Therefore it would be wise to move the election to S5. And who knows, maybe they're doing just that? We've had no news about Bowen Marsh, Cotter Pyke or Denys Mallister to be cast and I think we need at least two of them in the election arc.

It's quite possible they're going to gloss over the mechanics of that entirely, possibly just by placing Jon in such a leadership role throughout the season that his election seems pro forma (this would also be the logic if they have the election be before the final battle).

In terms of other predictions, what with Yara seemingly veering clearly off Asha's plot trajectory, I'm going to guess that they cut the whole Deepwood Motte aspect of Stannis' campaign and just have him march directly on Winterfell from the Wall.

It's quite possible they're going to gloss over the mechanics of that entirely, possibly just by placing Jon in such a leadership role throughout the season that his election seems pro forma (this would also be the logic if they have the election be before the final battle).

In terms of other predictions, what with Yara seemingly veering clearly off Asha's plot trajectory, I'm going to guess that they cut the whole Deepwood Motte aspect of Stannis' campaign and just have him march directly on Winterfell from the Wall.

I hope they do gloss over the election, because it's such an obvious thing that Jon is going to be elected that they shouldn't spend much time on it. Jon will show his qualities as a leader this season. The natural coda to his storyline is his election. That can and should happen in the last episode. The "mechanics" of the election are boring for a TV series, because it's clear from the beginning that Jon is going to win.

Those who want the election pushed back to season 5 argue that Jon's ADWD should last two seasons. That's a big mistake IMO. Not just because "Jon ruling the Wall" is not all that interesting, or because Jon's Dany's and Cersei's reigns should end simultaneously; Jon's story is very related to the White Walkers, who were presented as a major threat back in season 1 and have barely been seen. They can't keep holding them back forever for no reason. We can't reach season 7 with the White Walkers still waiting and doing nothing.

I disagree. The election is not predictable, because we are misled into thinking that Jon will not run for it. The election arc isn't about "will Jon win or not?", it's about Stannis' offer and "will Jon choose Winterfell or the Night's Watch?". I'd hate it if they cut out all that great character work - IMO, the best Jon chapters in the series - which they would have to do because that kind of emotional arc would be tough to cram into an episode that will probably also include Tyrion's escape and killing spree, Arya leaving Westeros, Lysa and the moon door, Lady Stoneheart and a bunch of other stuff.

I think a good end would be to finish S4 on the cliffhanger of Stannis offering Jon Winterfell. This will excite non-readers who will be wondering whether he will take it or not. Then when we come back in S5, he can have one or two episodes mulling it over, before the election concludes and he becomes Lord Commander, kicking off his S5 arc of learning how to rule, ending with the wildlings passing through the gates. His assassination can happen early in S6 - the positioning of the PW in 4x02 shows that they're not afraid to have big game-changing events like this at the start of the season. This also means that they can conclude S5 with the Battle of Meereen and wrap up that potentially irritating plotline, then the timelines for the pink letter at the Battle of Ice can line up nicely in early S6.

It's not a matter of pages, but content and more specifically content people give a damn about. A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons have a lot of padding and at least one entire story line that lifts out seamlessly (Quentyn Martell). Moreover every minute given to adapting those books is a minute taken away from from the final two books. The choice as I see it is either compress two relatively uneventful books into one season (plus some toward the tail end of season 4) or have two climactic books crammed into two seasons.

There'll doubtless be some spillover in Season 6 (I kind of expect either Fire or Ice battle to be there), but I do think that the bulk of that material will be dealt with in Season 5.

For that matter, most characters don't even have enough material in those books to go beyond Season 5.

I disagree. The election is not predictable, because we are misled into thinking that Jon will not run for it.

If they actually make a story about electing a new leader, any moderately experienced TV watcher will see that coming (particularly after a whole season of him leading the defense of the Wall).

I think people are missing the point about the election. It won't be about Jon coming into his own, but Sam. He engineers the whole thing, and it will be his show. While this is going on, Jon will meet with Stannis on top of the Wall.

If they decide to drop that stuff, they've got a whole season of Wall-related story that Sam wasn't there for in the books to do. He can have his show-off moments there, if need be.

It's not a matter of pages, but content and more specifically content people give a damn about. A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons have a lot of padding and at least one entire story line that lifts out seamlessly (Quentyn Martell). Moreover every minute given to adapting those books is a minute taken away from from the final two books. The choice as I see it is either compress two relatively uneventful books into one season (plus some toward the tail end of season 4) or have two climactic books crammed into two seasons.

Why do you think that they have a set amount of seasons? I'm sure the series will go as long as necessary to cover the books. The last two books will be as big as ASOS. I don't see the series finished in eight seasons.

There'll doubtless be some spillover in Season 6 (I kind of expect either Fire or Ice battle to be there), but I do think that the bulk of that material will be dealt with in Season 5.

For that matter, most characters don't even have enough material in those books to go beyond Season 5.

The minor characters don't, but the major characters have too much material to be covered in one season. I've talked about that a few pages back. Some characters do pose problems, but still I think it's feasible to split AFFC/ADWD in two seasons. The battles should be the climax of the second season, not the beginning. But it's all speculation anyway as long as we haven't read TWOW.

Why do you think that they have a set amount of seasons? I'm sure the series will go as long as necessary to cover the books. The last two books will be as big as ASOS. I don't see the series finished in eight seasons.

A matter of money and actor availability. GoT has a huge cast and it'll be very hard to commit all these dozens of people for a decade. Also, if I remember correctly, there's some law that calls for renegotiating actor contracts after 7 seasons or something, not really sure. That's why in all successful long-running shows you see actor salaries rise astronomically as years go by. It's not a deal-breaker when you've got a small cast (like Supernatural) or when actors drop in and out all the time (Law and Order). But GoT has so many cast members that have to stick around the whole time that the entire thing becomes financially unsustainable after a time.

At least that's how I understand it.

I'm somewhat confused: Why do so many people think they'll reach the end of ADWD by season 5? Are they really expecting to combine 2 books into 1 season, when they just split 1 book into 2 seasons?

Mereense Knot, stalemate at the wall, tumbleweeds blowing beyond the wall, Stannis's long trudge in the snow, Tyrion's lengthy cruise with many stopovers to Mereen, Victarion's voyage across the world, Dany sitting around waiting figs and refusing every bachelor in Essos, Brienne hanging about etc etc

I really liked ADWD but these plots are not going to work on a TV show. After the rollercaster pace of a Storm of Swords these plots are just going to drag on and bore the hell to of people. Viewers will drop off rapidly. I don't see the show going beyond season 5, maybe 6 so unfortunately they are going to have to figure something out.

Honestly, the ADWD stuff might be better received in TV form than book form 'cause there is no time for layovers, long roadtrips, and a blow-by-blow of the Meereenese court. If they cast someone really adorable as Quentyn, he might become an Ensemble Darkhorse.

I think D&D said they were aiming for 8 seasons.

And I reaaaaally love the idea of one season making episode 10 have the "omg holy fucking shit!" moments. A House Trollton Production.

Archived