Sell me your local neighborhood cuisine

Sci-2

Grand Concourse Buffer Buffet in Pittsburgh, PA:

-Omelet Bar

-Cuts of Beef and Turkey [i think the beef was prime rib? Turkey was hot, I think it was oven cooked continuously.]

-Waffles with various toppings including bananas cooked in Fosters

-Didn't try it, but the Filthy Bloody Mary has bacon along with the olives

-Fresh Doughnuts [fucking amazing!]

-Salmon

-Various meats, pastries, pastas, fish, breakfast foods

Here's some images of the place.

I live on an island that literally has one place to eat, a mediocre pizza place. Luckily within a bus ride there's all of downtown SF, including the Ferry Building farmer's market with its many delicious cheeses and places that sell artisan olive oil and the like. It's a bit much for me at times, but it beats radioactive pizza. The only time we have good food is once a month for the flea market when a bunch of food trucks come out. There is one that sells various kinds of grilled cheese, including one with macaroni and cheese inside. It kind of sounds like a cheesebomination, and it is. A delicious one that will give you a heart attack. Luckily it's only once a month.

Well, this thread is making me miss food from Melbourne, so I'll concentrate on some Aussie things I haven't seen elsewhere rather than the UK.

Sushi rolls. I know lots of places have sushi, and some even have rolls. But I've not seen anyplace do it like Melbourne does. The Melbourne sushi places have piles of 4 inch sushi rolls and you just choose which ones you want. Cooked Tuna, egg roll, terriyaki chicken, satay fish, California rolls, whatever. The shops have a refrigerated display case and the rolls are each in their little sections so you can see all the options. For lunch you just pick up 2 or 3 of your favourite types. Whereas elsewhere it feels like you are always compromising - I'll take this sushi pack which has somethings I like and somethings I don't. Give me a roll I can hold in my hand as I much through, with the nice fresh rice on the inside surrounding the tasty goodness in the middle. That's the way to have lunch.

Melbourne fish & chip shops. Sorry rest of the world - yours are crap! A good Melbourne Fish and Chip shop serves flake - the soft, moist, juicy, tasty fried fish that nobody else seems to serve. And to make it even cooler - Flake is SHARK! Yep, we eat those killer sharks all the time!* When you order a burger, you get it fresh, you choose what's on it, and if you get it with "the lot" you get egg and bacon. All burgers have fried onions! And lettuce and tomato sauce. Grrr at the British attempts at a burger. You will also have the option to buy a steak sandwich, again with options of stuff to put on and a "the lot" option. And why oh why has none of the rest of the world learned about Dim Sims? Potato cakes? Chiko rolls? Australian fish & chip shop spring rolls? Maybe we just keep them all to ourselves. I really miss dim sims over here - either deep fried on steamed with soy sauce on top. Use to have them when playing soccer - nothing better on a cold day than a hot steamed dim sim with salty soy sauce. Mmmm.

Finally, a staple of the pub meal the good old Chicken Parmigiana. Or rather, a Chicken Parma. They'd never heard of it in Italy. I've never seen it in Europe. In the US they did have something of the same name - but it didn't have all the essential ingredients. So I'm calling it as Australian. A chicken parma is a chicken schnitzel but it must have tomato sauce (usually chunky with fresh tomato), ham and cheese on top. Presumably the name came from the ham. Absolutely delicious, usually served with chips. The tomato keeps the schnitzel moist, the ham adds taste and the cheese is all melted and gooey and traps all the rest of the items in together.

Now, I'm missing home again. :(

* May or may not be exaggerated on the killer bit.

Ah, I used to live in Pittsburgh and around Princeton but that was a long time ago. I used to go to Tiger Noodles but since I'm Taiwanese they let me order whatever and it was always good. I can't speak to the quality of their normal menu.

Pittsburgh has awesome crepes at Crepes Parisiennes.

I live in Decatur now and the Brick Store Pub is basically one of the best pubs in the entire Southeast region. Chef Liu on Buford Highway has pretty good dumplings (Shanghai soup dumplings!). There are also a ton of family-friendly restaurants where I live, so we've got a lot of pizza places and coffee shops. Dancing Goats wins my coffee shop vote, Revolution Doughnuts wins my doughnut vote. Where else are you going to get orange pistachio glazed vegan doughnuts? I love Sweet Melissa's for breakfast - good, standard breakfast, plus excellent service. The Mercantile has the best, most affordable take-out dinner. Not a restaurant take-out, but something you might prepare at home. Their roasted chicken and pot roast are a staple of my household.

I miss Taiwanese food but I live in the wrong part of town for that.

We have what I swear is the only great Mexican place in the entire DC area, great Asian food of pretty much every kind, and a great diner. But I'll be damned if I'm listing the names and precise locations of them for all the creepers on the internet like Mina, ha! It's nice to be out of DC proper and have good options that don't cost an arm and a leg.

We have what I swear is the only great Mexican place in the entire DC area, great Asian food of pretty much every kind, and a great diner. But I'll be damned if I'm listing the names and precise locations of them for all the creepers on the internet like Mina, ha! It's nice to be out of DC proper and have good options that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Where should I go for Ethiopian in DC? Picked a highly-rated (online) hole-in-the-wall last time and it was mediocre.

Our best Ethiopian here is absolutely amazing, but it is in a high-murder-rate part of town and it has to resort to selling steak hoagies on the side to stay afloat. Also zero atmosphere.

You're kind of being ridiculous, Raids. Reel it in a notch.

Where should I go for Ethiopian in DC? Picked a highly-rated (online) hole-in-the-wall last time and it was mediocre.

The only one I've been to is Ethiopic. It's "smart casual" - not a hole in the wall. I thought it was great but there's another not as new one that's a contender for best in the city as well that I can't remember the name of.

ETA: The other is Etete. Reviewers consistently pick those two and reviews of Ethiopic were spot on. Take a cab there from the Judiciary Square or Mt Vernon metro station.

Mya, if you and Mina want to post 12 places right by your house on the internet that's your business. I don't. The internet is not a fuzzy happy place where we all ride kittens over a rainbow, and I don't think it's ridiculous to keep that in mind.

The only one I've been to is Ethiopic. It's "smart casual" - not a hole in the wall. I thought it was great but there's another not as new one that's a contender for best in the city as well that I can't remember the name of.

ETA: The other is Etete. Reviewers consistently pick those two and reviews of Ethiopic were spot on. Take a cab there from the Judiciary Square or Mt Vernon metro station.

Mya, if you and Mina want to post 12 places right by your house on the internet that's your business. I don't. The internet is not a fuzzy happy place where we all ride kittens over a rainbow, and I don't think it's ridiculous to keep that in mind.

I understand the sentiment, but it really isn't the thread to continue this discussion in. It's not like I'm google mapping where my local food truck is...(of course, it's because it's in numerous places throughout my town. :p)

(Not to mention it's ironic that we both met our SOs because of this board. ;) )

Yeah but I met mine in person a few times and talked to him for a month before he knew where I lived and we didn't go anywhere in my neighborhood (Biergarten Haus, POV Lounge, and Birch and Barley actually - all recommended, but only the last for food - and do the tasting menu with the beer pairings, it's one of my favorite things to do in DC). Since the show started and I've met people who read this Board - and not the other way around!! - I've been trying to be particularly careful.

But now I'm all nostalgic. :) Turns out even if all 6 beer pairings at Birch and Barley are Belgian, you will still sober up by the time you finish walking to the Jefferson Memorial.

Ok in Baltimore: lake trout, which is really a fish from the ocean, don't know why it's called that. It's breaded and fried and served as a sandwich, if it's freshly cooked and the fish is fresh it can be really good, but if it's been sitting on a warmer it can be really nasty. And crab cakes, don't think I need to elaborate on that.

Ok in Baltimore: lake trout, which is really a fish from the ocean, don't know why it's called that. It's breaded and fried and served as a sandwich, if it's freshly cooked and the fish is fresh it can be really good, but if it's been sitting on a warmer it can be really nasty. And crab cakes, don't think I need to elaborate on that.

No lake, no trout. But pile on that hot sauce.

Speaking up for the neighborhood where I grew up, Los Feliz in Los Angeles: we've not-so-secretly had the best tacos in LA for a while.

Love me some cochinita pibil from Yuca's.

A bit different style in SF but you can't go wrong with the carnitas tacos from La Taqueria on Mission st. Burma Superstar is awesome and pretty unique. Jumping across the Bay into Berkely I love breakfast at Rick and Anne's. Pizza is all about Zacharys, both the deep dish and thin cornmeal crust. More upscale but at the tops in terms of California cuisine Camino in Oakland is as good as it gets. Cool to watch them cook over an open flame fire pit. Very solid cocktail program as well.

Archived