What are you reading in October

mashiara

Started Dan Simmon's The Abominable last night. About 80 pages in, literally nothing has happened, and I find myself wishing I'd purchased the third Felix Castor novel instead. I'll stick with it, though, since I really enjoyed The Terror, and surely things can't stay so boring for much longer.

Isis, I heard that the Casual Vacancy wasn't very strong, so I'm interested in hearing what you think. It's currently sat on my to-read pile. I've been rereading and enjoying the Harry Potter books recently, and really liked The Cuckoo's Calling.

I've almost finished To Kill a Mockingbird, and as I put Moon Over Soho down halfway through in order to start TKaM, I think I'll finish that next. Then onto the next set book I need to read - A Time to Kill by John Grisham. I watched the film at the weekend and liked it, and I've heard good things about Grisham, so I have high hopes about the novel.

Seeing as I still haven't actually finished Red Seas Under Red Skies yet, Republic of Thieves will stay on my wishlist for now.

I've read The Casual Vacancy and personally, I didn't find it bad [in terms of prose/plot/etc.] but it just didn't grab me the way, say Harry Potter does when I read it and if it wasn't for the fact that I finish every book I start regardless of how bad/good it is, I might have set it aside for something more riveting. That's my take on it anyway.

The Ocean At the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman was a wonderful read, a pure pleasure. Lyrical and lovely, to steal a friend's comments on it. I wish it had been longer.

In anticipation of The Republic of Thieves I reread The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch and found it to be as fast paced and fun as I remembered it to be. I'm glad I took the time to reread, I had forgotten a lot of details. I'll now start Red Seas Under Red Skies and see if it does indeed improve on reread.

I just finished The Shadow of the Torturer, and I need some time to process it before I know how I really feel about it. It's likely that I'll read some other novels before continuing Wolfe's series.

I'm currently reading The Black Guard by AJ Smith. On my shelf waiting to be read I have The Thousand Names by Django Wexler, as well as Steven Erikson's Forge of Darkness and The Collected Tales of Bauchelain & Korbal Broach (Malazan short story collection). I picked up the last in a pound shop for... well, a pound. It was a very random find among the Z-list celebrity autobiographies and assorted other crap.

It's not out in North America yet, but I can recommend Herald of the Storm by Richard Ford, another gritty fantasy series debut released around the same time as my own. It might be tied with Emperor of Thorns as the best book I've read this year.

Finished Modesitt's "One Eyed Man: A fugue with winds and Accompaniment"

I liked it the most out of his last three non-series books, interesting space-opera world-building without FTL, which naturally leads to sci-fi universes with century-long trips between worlds and time-dillation related things. (other space opera with that is Revelation Space, and Algebraist)

Too bad the background was only briefly sketched here and there to support the plot. Would be cool if author write more books from the same universe, its certainly good enough to base a series on.

Today, I'm starting Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. I'm really excited; I've waited years for this one.

This month I sped through the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull; they are aimed towards children but are entertaining to read, and can be enjoyed by anyone. I also reread The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, a favourite of mine.

Finished Norton's Year of the Unicorn, it's good light reading. There's a lot of action, and it's fast paced. The magic system is plausible, and the characters are vivid. Thumbs up for the first three books of the Witch World series.

Next up Steven Baxter's ambitious alternate history The Northlands Trilogy. Book Three won't be out until Nov. 5, but the first two books ought to keep me occupied until then.

The series premise is that in the Stone Age a wall or dyke was built that kept Doggerland* from being flooded by the North Sea. Doggerland developed a rich vibrant culture, and for some reason the major religions never formed. The series stretches across thousands of years, Stone Spring is set in the Neolithic, while Bronze Summer and Iron Winter are set in the Bronze & Iron Ages respectively.

Baxter proved his mastery of intricate world building with his Xeelee Sequence, it will be interesting to see his alternate vision of ancient history.

*The Ice Age land bridge between continental Europe & Britain. It's worth reading the wiki on Doggerland.

Archived