What are you reading in October

mashiara

You could kill large adult with the hardcover Green Angel Tower. My wrists hurt just thinking about it.

Wait a minute...

Why does thinking about murdering people with a book make youir wrist hurt? What exactly were you doing while thinking about this?

Just finished The Assassin's Apprentice, Book 1 of Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. What a wonderful read, and I'm struggling to remember a book that I've enjoyed more. Not afraid to admit that I was in floods at the end.

Anyways, It's unlikely I'll read anything else until I've finished this trilogy, and the rest of the Fitz and The Fool stories. Highly recommended.

Finished "Bring down the bodies" by Hilary Mantel. What a clever well structured story with some extremly believable historical figures. Apart from Dorothy Dunnett I´ve never read historical fiction on a similar level.

Finished "Bring down the bodies" by Hilary Mantel. What a clever well structured story with some extremly believable historical figures. Apart from Dorothy Dunnett I´ve never read historical fiction on a similar level.

I just gave my spare copy of Wolf Hall to my housemate, who's studying history, and she's loving it. Any news on the third book? I seem to think it's supposed to be a trilogy.

The Stories of John Cheever - John Cheever.

Near-perfect observations of the New York upper crust, their servants and related strivers, mostly during the Mad Men era. A melancholy and hilarious vision of humanity squirming inside its social confines.

In the Cheeververse, though, the non-conformists don't come off any better than the conformists; at best they reach the heroic delusion of The Swimmer (made into a great movie with Burt Lancaster, BTW)

Again, Mad Men is definitely Cheever-inspired, but that doesn't really give the stories due credit. (This collection won the National Book Award in 1981)

Highly recommended.

I finished a very interesting book, Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss. This is not a diet or a cook book, but rather a business history on the processed food and drink industry.
It just makes me doubly glad that I avoid all sugary drinks and potato chips.
The French Promise by Fiona McIntosh is next.

Did you manage to get into Prince of Thorns? I've tried reading it but I can't seem to get into the story at all. Tried twice now but it doesn't hold my attention.

Reading Cloud Atlas, I've had this book for ages now. Figured I should probably finish it before I catch the movie.

:lol: I haven't read it yet, I've had a busy month. I liked the sample, though.

Finally finishing up Moon Over Soho, not much left to go. I do love this series.

I also started The Runaway Jury by John Grisham. I have to keep reminding myself that it's work, so I don't feel guilty about lazing around in bed all day reading books and watching films :laugh:

Is the difficulty level similar to Dunnett too? I love Dunnett but am not always in the mood for that challenging of read.

Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch improved a lot upon a re-read. Either that, or I was at a lousy state of mind when I first read it. I had forgotten a lot and I enjoyed it as I would a new read, especially after the half-mark.
I'm now reading The Republic of Thieves, about a third of the way in, and I'm not quite feeling the love, but I'll read with an open mind and see if it proves to be as good as the previous two as it moves along.

I zipped through The Casual Vacancy (a much faster read than ROT). I would probably never have considered picking this up had I not read an interview with Stephen King where he said it was great. I read the first four HP books years ago and while the story telling was good I didn't think much of the prose so I couldn't imagine ever choosing to read anything else by J K Rowling. When I spotted the Kindle edition for 99p I thought I'd try it... and it was good! While I couldn't really see it at the time, now that I've finished it's actually somewhat in the mold of a Jilly Cooper novel - a story based around village life, with loads of gossip, back stabbing and one-upping. Only it was a bit better observed, a bit more 'real' than Jilly Cooper, whom I have to say should have avoided writing about 'the working classes'/people on benefits because those characters always rang false and utterly one-dimensional to me. The obvious difference is that The Casual Vacancy is ultimately a pretty depressing book with very little in the way of a happy ending. I have no problems with realism or unhappy endings. I'm glad I read it and discovered that Rowling can actually write something that I am interested in reading.

I've just finished Available Dark by Elizabeth Hand. Another fast read. This one was a crime novel. A Viking-Scandinavian crime novel. I guess that's on trend. But definitely count me in the group of readers that wished this had been a fantasy rather than a 'crime thriller'. Elizabeth Hand is usually ALL ABOUT the mythology and anthropology. But in this story those elements are a bit like distant scenery, rather than integral parts. Shame. This is a sequel to Generation Loss. I hope we don't see any more in this 'series' though. Compared to her other works it felt thin and lightweight and I didn't really care about anyone in the story. I always love her writing but this felt like a lite version, lacking depth and emotion. :/

I've just finished the first Monarchies of God book and am currently reading the second. One word: awesome! By the way, does anyone know how Ormann Dyke is structured because during some of Corfe's battle scenes I couldn't get a clear image of where and how things were taking place.

Still reading Cloud Atlas, about halfway through now. Just got done with Orison of Somni

I've enjoyed almost all of it so far, the Tom Cavendish was one I didn't initially like, but it became better as it went on. I've spent about a week or so in Hull, so I was curious to see if it would be described in any way to how I experienced the place. Funnily enough, most english people seem to really hate Hull ( Some called it a shit hole) but I thought it was nice enough. Either ways, I'm really intrigued as to what on earth is going on, I obviously have my own theories and given that I've seen the movie trailer like 5-6 times, I feel like I may have spoiled myself on some stuff already ( Also, Halle Berry for Luisa? Ugh) I read Orison of Somni all in one sitting, the way that chapter is written probably has a lot to do with how quickly I was able to get through it. That one and the Robert Frobisher ones were probably my favorite ones so far.

ETA: That birthmark thing is driving me crazy.

I have finished Pillars of the Earth! After over a year!

Which tells me two things: 1) I should go to the gym more often, and 2) not to pick the longest audiobook you can find just because of quantity for money.

Just finished The Assassin's Apprentice, Book 1 of Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy. What a wonderful read, and I'm struggling to remember a book that I've enjoyed more. Not afraid to admit that I was in floods at the end.

Anyways, It's unlikely I'll read anything else until I've finished this trilogy, and the rest of the Fitz and The Fool stories. Highly recommended.

I'd suggest reading the Liveship Traders trilogy after the Assassin trilogy. It's the correct chronological order, and much as I loved the Assassin trilogy, I loved the Liveship Traders even more.

What did you think of it? I myself enjoyed Pillars immensely.

Great book. I stumbled on it when I was just 14 years old and loved it even then. That says a lot, because I didn't have a great attention span back then and it's a long book.

Archived