Marvel Netflix - Daredevil, Iron Fist etc.

red snow

I don't get why you'd take the best buddy duo marvel has and put them in two separate shows. I'm also not really sure either Luke Cage or Ion Fist fit the Marvel movies aesthetic that well since the major part of their appeal is their retro origins. If they go with that though and make Power Man a full on blaxploitation show, I'd watch the hell out of that.

I don't get why you'd take the best buddy duo marvel has and put them in two separate shows. I'm also not really sure either Luke Cage or Ion Fist fit the Marvel movies aesthetic that well since the major part of their appeal is their retro origins. If they go with that though and make Power Man a full on blaxploitation show, I'd watch the hell out of that.

After the individual series there's supposed to be a final mini-series.

I'm guessing there will be a meta-narrative that the ongoing series lead up to. Since it'll likely be 13 seasons [episodes] each (at max) we'll probably have the whole thing wrapped up in 1-2 years.

Assuming Sci means 13 episodes, I agree. At this point virtually anything can be fit into the Marvel cinematic universe, if done properly. People raved that they could never pull of The Avengers, because Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America wouldn't make sense together. And then The Avengers happened. Anything can work. It doesn't matter how ridiculous it is, as long as it works. Which, at this point, basically just means not having bad writing. MCU has already established that magic, space aliens, unrealistic humans (Black WIdow and Hawkeye), and sci-fi can all live in the same setting. I mean shit they managed to pull off Norse gods, which was really the biggest hurdle. Once magic is accepted, you can pretty much do anything. So I think they can pull off super Bruce Lee and blind Batman. The question is if they can make them as good as the mainline films, which is certainly a bigger challenge in a TV series than a two-hour movie (which, in my opinion, they've just barely managed to maintain quality -- most of these movies reach acceptability by the skin of their teeth, as far as I'm concerned).

Whoops, yeah I meant episodes.

(which, in my opinion, they've just barely managed to maintain quality -- most of these movies reach acceptability by the skin of their teeth, as far as I'm concerned).

Yeah, I'm thinking the TV series might actually be better if they maintain some good atmosphere and character.

Special effects won't be as big a problem given the heroes they are dealing with, unless they want to really dig into the Iron Fist legend.

Yeah, I'm thinking the TV series might actually be better if they maintain some good atmosphere and character.

Special effects won't be as big a problem given the heroes they are dealing with, unless they want to really dig into the Iron Fist legend.

I actually think Daredevil will be the trickiest to handle given his almost spider-man like acrobatics. Maybe they'll ditch all the backflips and swinging aorund and just having him jumping across rooftops and general kick-assery? I don't think the visualisation of his powers will be that tricky at all though.

I think the statement says it's possible to do more than one season of each show. It's just you'll get all 4 shows and the mini-event before you get Daredevil season 2 for example.

I actually think Daredevil will be the trickiest to handle given his almost spider-man like acrobatics. Maybe they'll ditch all the backflips and swinging aorund and just having him jumping across rooftops and general kick-assery? I don't think the visualisation of his powers will be that tricky at all though.

The thing with Daredevil is that what makes him distinct from other martial-arts heroes is (obviously) not terribly visual. In a typical fight scene, unless you spend a bundle on doing it from DD's point of view, it's just a fight scene. This makes it appealingly cheap but not very distinctive. The acrobatics are also tricky to do, as you suggest, so a DD TV show is likely to be difficult to pull off. It's got to be more than just Batman with no gadgets and a red outfit: but equally, it can't just shoehorn in an out-of-combat super-sense scene of the week. That's going to get repetitive really quick. (This week, DD solves the mystery by using his supersmell to identify the murder weapon! Tune in next week when he uses his superhearing to detect a lie!) I think this is why DD has been so hard to translate to the screen.

The thing with Daredevil is that what makes him distinct from other martial-arts heroes is (obviously) not terribly visual. In a typical fight scene, unless you spend a bundle on doing it from DD's point of view, it's just a fight scene. This makes it appealingly cheap but not very distinctive. The acrobatics are also tricky to do, as you suggest, so a DD TV show is likely to be difficult to pull off. It's got to be more than just Batman with no gadgets and a red outfit: but equally, it can't just shoehorn in an out-of-combat super-sense scene of the week. That's going to get repetitive really quick. (This week, DD solves the mystery by using his supersmell to identify the murder weapon! Tune in next week when he uses his superhearing to detect a lie!) I think this is why DD has been so hard to translate to the screen.

I think a fight scene starting with an echo-awareness of everything around him would be cool - a bit like in DArk Knight but without goggles and a wifi macguffin. Then again I thought the film visualised his powers fairly well. But it does have to avoid repetition, I agree,

It all depends on where in his career the show starts. If it's an origin story as well it could get away with the "this week he uses his power in this way". Although didn't he train with The Hand at some point? The Hand could work as group antagonists with a little jiggling to include Iron Fist.

Also I'm guessing if they have the rights to Daredevil back they should have Elektra back as well? Although maybe that won't e official until next year as her film was after Daredevil.

I think the statement says it's possible to do more than one season of each show. It's just you'll get all 4 shows and the mini-event before you get Daredevil season 2 for example.

I guess the way I figured they'd do it is do the miniseries then all of them together as the show if it's successful.

I guess the way I figured they'd do it is do the miniseries then all of them together as the show if it's successful.

If they follow the movie model it's more likely they go back to solo seasons and then bring them back for another "defenders" event afterwards.

I wonder if Ray Park is still interested in Iron Fist? I know he was trying to get it going years ago.

No offense to Ray Park but I suspect they'll be wanting some young stud-muffin for the part who can also do most of his own stunts.

The budget is still gonna be an issue I think. Special effects isn't just flashy CGI. Fight scenes and such cost alot of money and time (and thus money) too.

Honestly, in my experience any series like this lives or dies on it's ability to work without the superheroic shit. It's all the other elements that are more important because there's only so much badassery you can do on a TV budget, let alone a Netflix budget. If that's all you got, it's just mediocre TV cheese.

The budget is still gonna be an issue I think. Special effects isn't just flashy CGI. Fight scenes and such cost alot of money and time (and thus money) too.

Honestly, in my experience any series like this lives or dies on it's ability to work without the superheroic shit. It's all the other elements that are more important because there's only so much badassery you can do on a TV budget, let alone a Netflix budget. If that's all you got, it's just mediocre TV cheese.

Yeah, I think Arrow does very well with the action on a TV budget, but it also shows that the non-action parts can drag the show down. Luckily they've mostly fixed that for the moment.

What makes me sceptical about this idea is that it seems to put a lot of focus on a single part of a single city (which in the Marvel cinematic universe has relatively recently been trashed by an alien invasion), how much street level crime can these people fight without making the setting look hilariously dark?

I also think they should really try to diversify more in terms of featured characters and location (though obviously most of Marvel's heroes are North American). Black Widow is the only female character in the Avengers so far, and the Ant Man film will add another scientist type character to Stark and Banner. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage seem like a good step in that direction at least, but apparently Iron Fist is another rich white dude (albeit with a weird pseudo-mystical, orientalist backstory).

Yeah, I think Arrow does very well with the action on a TV budget, but it also shows that the non-action parts can drag the show down. Luckily they've mostly fixed that for the moment.

What makes me sceptical about this idea is that it seems to put a lot of focus on a single part of a single city (which in the Marvel cinematic universe has relatively recently been trashed by an alien invasion), how much street level crime can these people fight without making the setting look hilariously dark?

I also think they should really try to diversify more in terms of featured characters and location (though obviously most of Marvel's heroes are North American). Black Widow is the only female character in the Avengers so far, and the Ant Man film will add another scientist type character to Stark and Banner. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage seem like a good step in that direction at least, but apparently Iron Fist is another rich white dude (albeit with a weird pseudo-mystical, orientalist backstory).

I think having mystical martial artist who isn't asian is fine. If you're going to make Iron Fist an asian guy (which is also offensive) you may as well just use Shang Chi. I think the line-up is fine in terms of demographics as Daredevil is also blind.

In terms of the alien invasion I guess that could be used as an excuse for an increase in crime. It could also be used to generate powers amongst the criminal elements. I wonder if they'd "dare" go so far with Matt Murdock getting his senses from some chitauri tech? Probably not but i think they need to tweak the origin from radioactive waste in his eyes. Maybe some weird virus that blinded him? Something else more in line with today's standards as we all know radiation just kills people now.

I think having mystical martial artist who isn't asian is fine. If you're going to make Iron Fist an asian guy (which is also offensive) you may as well just use Shang Chi. I think the line-up is fine in terms of demographics as Daredevil is also blind.

Of course anybody can learn martial arts, I was just thinking that with Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne and Oliver Queen starring in a number of recent adaptations, do we need another guy with a similar background?

I was thinking the offensive bits might come in when the culture of this mystical place (which is apparently accessed via the Himalayas?) would be depicted.

In terms of the alien invasion I guess that could be used as an excuse for an increase in crime. It could also be used to generate powers amongst the criminal elements. I wonder if they'd "dare" go so far with Matt Murdock getting his senses from some chitauri tech? Probably not but i think they need to tweak the origin from radioactive waste in his eyes. Maybe some weird virus that blinded him? Something else more in line with today's standards as we all know radiation just kills people now.

Yeah, origins are also tricky. We've got "super soldier serum", "lab accident", "built himself a snazzy suit" and "is actually an alien" so far. I gues "stumbled across alien artefact", "was granted powers by alien entity" and "is actually a robot" are still up for grabs, but after that it kinda starts to get repetitive, doesn't it?

Of course anybody can learn martial arts, I was just thinking that with Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne and Oliver Queen starring in a number of recent adaptations, do we need another guy with a similar background?

I was thinking the offensive bits might come in when the culture of this mystical place (which is apparently accessed via the Himalayas?) would be depicted.

Yeah, origins are also tricky. We've got "super soldier serum", "lab accident", "built himself a snazzy suit" and "is actually an alien" so far. I gues "stumbled across alien artefact", "was granted powers by alien entity" and "is actually a robot" are still up for grabs, but after that it kinda starts to get repetitive, doesn't it?

I'm ashamed to admit I never got around to reading the Bruabaker/Fraction "iron fist" run but i think there were different generations of "iron fists" so they could maybe play on that to justify having another white dude kicking around. Luke Cage could almost be the guy from the pilot of SHIELD as their powers were pretty similar at the end of the day. Not sure how connected to SHIELD these shows want to be though. SHIELD may not even be on air in 2016.

Some interesting news on showrunners.

Daredevil has Drew Goddard

Jessica Jones has Melissa Rosenberg

Drew Goddard sounds good. He's worked with Whedon on a lot of things and Cabin in the woods was the child they cooked up together. I can see good things coming from this.

Melissa Rosenberg is a bit more tricky. She was apparently involved in Twilight which is bad at face value but I guess she was chained to the source material. Slightly more good/bad news is that she worked on Dexter depending on how you view the show. The great news is that she was head writer for the first 4 seasons which IMO besides season 3 were excellent. I'm going to stick my neck out and say Jessica Jennifer Carpenter (Debs off of Dexter) may wind up being our Jessica Jones. She'd be a good fit especially if the show allows her to curse.

Jennifer Carpenter. Sorry, but I was just like "... Jessica Carpenter?"

Anyway, yeah i'd have to agree with that. And I'm extremely happy they got Goddard for Daredevil.

Sorry getting muddled with all the J names flying around :)

• 6 months later...

Archived