[Book & Show Spoilers]The "Episode 9" Moment of Season 4 - Part 2

Inquisitor Glokta

This post WILL contain spoilers for season 4 episode 9 - if you don't want any, stop reading now!!

edit: Interview with Neil Marshall (director s02e09 'Blackwater' & s04e09) about the 9th episode of the upcoming 4th season.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4286666&tpl=archnews&force=1

Looks like an all battle episode 9, much like Blackwater.

The battle will contain all 3 fighting locations and quite a lot of carnage. :)

Yep, it's going to essentially be Blackwater 2.0, but probably with more fighting (if you actually go back and watch it, the ~50 minutes of Blackwater are split up like this: 20 minutes pre-battle, ~15-20 minutes of actual fighting and ~10-15 minutes of drunk Cersei).

My full predictions for the episode (and every episode in the season) can be found here:

http://tahu909.livejournal.com/1594.html

I'm a bit confused. According to the source below, S04E09 "..is going to be as gory and devastating as the RW...".

I just cannot understand the "devastating" part if the whole episode features Castle Black. Surely, Ygritte's death is going to be a shocker, and maybe some heroic deaths of NW's brothers, but still, to my view, that's not that devastating.

http://www.hypable.com/2013/11/05/game-of-thrones-season-4-penultimate-episode-red-wedding-comparison/

It is an interesting quote about it being devestating. Some of the actors have commented on the changes coming in this season shocking readers. For my money I'm betting one of the biggest changes is going to be how Ygritte dies. IMO the way she died in the book was really kind of lame, and would make for a pretty crappy on screen death, so it wouldn't shocked me if one of the main characters is actually seen killing her, maybe right in front of Jon. I have gone on record speculating that having Davos kill her would be a pretty good and feasible twist and would pretty damn tragic. Of course it could just be that the episode isn't all at the wall and they are talking about some of the other shocking events too.

Or Jon herself kills her with an arrow not knowing it's her he's shooting at. Besides that, a number of named and established characters will probably die in the episode.

I think Jon will do it and he will know it's her, that's why it will be as "devastating as the red wedding". But it's all just baseless speculation :dunno:

You can also have Grenn taking Donal Noye's place fighting a giant (some people think Locke could take this role too)

You can also have Grenn taking Donal Noye's place fighting a giant (some people think Locke could take this role too)

Why not both? When Alliser Thorne and Janos Slynt return, the Wall will be pretty packed with characters in Season 5. There's them, Edd, Maester Aemon, Sam, Stannis and his men... The show can make a nice little bloodbath in 4x09. There's plenty of guys left.

I'm a bit confused. According to the source below, S04E09 "..is going to be as gory and devastating as the RW...".

I just cannot understand the "devastating" part if the whole episode features Castle Black. Surely, Ygritte's death is going to be a shocker, and maybe some heroic deaths of NW's brothers, but still, to my view, that's not that devastating.

http://www.hypable.com/2013/11/05/game-of-thrones-season-4-penultimate-episode-red-wedding-comparison/

I agree. Ygritte's death made me tear up a little, mostly for Jon's sake, but it was no Red Wedding. Ygritte's not central like Robb Stark. I really don't know who's death might shock the viewers in the same way. The Battle of Castle Black is no where near the RW for shocking or devastating. It's a battle, one expects some deaths. Even if they have Maester Aemon die, that's not super-unexpected. I will be disappointed though, as then we won't have the Sam/Aemon conversations of exposition. Maybe they will have those take place at Castle Black.

Really enjoyed reading that, Ser Tahu. Think many of these will be correct as well.

Thank you.

As for the "As gory devastating as the Red Wedding" quote:

Gore should be no problem, it will likely be more gory if anything. As for devastating, it is all about how they choose to do it. The Red Wedding was devastating because it was so shocking, but there are other ways to devastate the viewers.

Thank you.

As for the "As gory devastating as the Red Wedding" quote:

Gore should be no problem, it will likely be more gory if anything. As for devastating, it is all about how they choose to do it. The Red Wedding was devastating because it was so shocking, but there are other ways to devastate the viewers.

Like what?

Hmm, gory and devastating... if Ygritte is killed by Jon with an arrow, unwittingly - say she's wearing a hood and he can't tell who it is - then I think it could be pretty devastating, especially if they spend all season building up Ygritte's character. Even though in the grand scheme of things, she's pretty minor, I can definitely see it provoking a reaction from the audience. Of course there's also the option that not all of the episode will take place at the Wall, and that the shocking and devastating moments he's referring to are Shae's and Tywin's deaths.

Do the series need a certain amount of "romance"?

Tyrion and Shae certainly have been built up as a touching love story in the series and Jon and Ygritte is the big one. If these two end in the most tragic manner there will be only Dany and Daario left.

And no matter if Tyrion himself kills Shae or if it will be Tywin, and If Jon will kill Ygritte or if someone else will do the deed (see the parallel in the story arcs of those two main characters), their love stories will end tragically.

So there will be only Dany and Daario, the showmakers might want to put more emphasis on their story.

Jaime and Brienne is a fragile beautiful flower so far, so touching and certainly worth to be cultivated on screen. While Cersei's and Jaime's love story - yes, I see it as genuine love story - is over.

Would they already put some love story elements into the Baelish/Sansa interactions?

is the rade on castle black going to happen in this episode? shouldnt it happen much earlier?

also, i dont think the episode is going to be all battle. not enough happens. even in the books, stan's charge kind of happens off page and is over really quickly.

imo it has to be tywins death that is shocking. and it better be tyrion who kills the whore

Archived