Roy Dotrice, GOT audiobook narrator, says George R. R. Martin has told him he's got another book nearly ready

Mark Antony

To be honest, history proves that the longer GRRM takes, the less liked the book turns out. ASOS took around two years and is clearly a favorite, while ADWD and AFFC are the general consensus of the lesser books in the series (though I did love ADWD a lot, and liked AFFC enough).

It's all a matter of taste. If he wrote 100 more books similar to AFFC I would be happy. I really don't see why there is so much dislike for feast around here. Isn't this a fan forum? Feast is a phenomenal book. (I know you personally like feast, but your post just set me off :) )

I agree with the poster who said the important thing is the quality of the book, not how long it takes to write. 10 years from now everyone will have forgotten the waiting.

I hate that these kinds of thread eventually turn into a "he's milking the cashcow!" hate thread. If you like and respect someone's writing enough to be on a fanforum, the waiting is part of it. As Gaiman said, buying and reading the books was not a contract you signed with the author. he had no obligation to write faster or even put out the books at all.

I hate that these kinds of thread eventually turn into a "he's milking the cashcow!" hate thread. If you like and respect someone's writing enough to be on a fanforum, the waiting is part of it. As Gaiman said, buying and reading the books was not a contract you signed with the author. he had no obligation to write faster or even put out the books at all.

grrm is not your bitch

The reason people are dissapointed with the last two books is obvioulsy the build-up that was created by the length it took to write them. This forum is full of very intelligent people, you all know this. I read the first books waaaay back when i was a kid. ( i was 8 in '96) But i was occupied with other things kids like to do, and had honestly forgot about them by the time feast and dance came out. I got to read them without waiting, and feast is BY FAR my personal favorite. Also, if you google (i don't have the link) it, Feast is Martin's fav as well.....

The reason people are dissapointed with the last two books is obvioulsy the build-up that was created by the length it took to write them. This forum is full of very intelligent people, you all know this. I read the first books waaaay back when i was a kid. ( i was 8 in '96) But i was occupied with other things kids like to do, and had honestly forgot about them by the time feast and dance came out. I got to read them without waiting, and feast is BY FAR my personal favorite. Also, if you google (i don't have the link) it, Feast is Martin's fav as well.....

You read Game of Thrones aged 8? Hmmm, not the age I'd have gone for but each to their own! :)

Obviously, I'd love to have TWOW tomorrow, but pleasure deferred is pleasure enhanced.

But if the show overtakes GRRM, there'd be no pleasure at all. Not for GRRM, not for us book readers, not for the showrunners and the cast and crew. Everyone will be pissed. So there HAS to be a certain time limit.

But if the show overtakes GRRM, there'd be no pleasure at all. Not for GRRM, not for us book readers, not for the showrunners and the cast and crew. Everyone will be pissed. So there HAS to be a certain time limit.

I think we can still enjoy the books, unless they and the show are flatly contradictory on major issues.

To be honest, history proves that the longer GRRM takes, the less liked the book turns out. ASOS took around two years and is clearly a favorite, while ADWD and AFFC are the general consensus of the lesser books in the series (though I did love ADWD a lot, and liked AFFC enough).

The point is, GRRM can write good stuff fast. All he needs to do is to sit down and write, and if he actually cares about the show catching up (which I don't doubt), then that's likely what he's going to do. Having a deadline might pressure GRRM now, but he had a deadline in the first three books too- a deadline which he met with three fantastic releases. All in all, I think GRRM fell of balance with books 4 & 5 because of the cancellation of the five year gap and having to work around all his previous plans. I think now he might be back on his feet again, with a fantastic, complete book on the way that will come out on time (which IMO is 2015 in the latest).

k den

I completely agree that GRRM is not your bitch, and I'm all for him taking as much time as he needs if it means he'll write a great book, especially if it's as good as ASOS.

However, the possibility of the show catching up to the books is becoming more and more likely. So I honestly WANT him to hurry up because I don't want to be "spoiled" for the end of the series by HBO, especially since they'll probably twist whatever GRRM told them so that it'll satisfy what they want as well.

If there was any truth to GRRMs original statement that quite a few of the ADWD viewpoints were completed as well as the AFFC crows ones when they said they had 2 options to divide the book, then I think GRRM, editor and publisher chose the wrong path. I think AFFC would have been much more accepted if it told half of the scope of the two books but from all POVs, even if there was not a dramatic end point.

I really wish we could get some actual concrete information. I know GRRM has more or less sworn off actual progress reports, and I don't really blame him for that, but still, someone just give us something real.

I really wish we could get some actual concrete information. I know GRRM has more or less sworn off actual progress reports, and I don't really blame him for that, but still, someone just give us something real.

Jane Johnson (UK publisher of GRRM) said on Twitter that TWOW would "certainly" not be out in 2014. (This was a follow-up to a tweet she deleted stating that it would be "almost certainly years" before TWOW came out.)

Jane Johnson (UK publisher of GRRM) said on Twitter that TWOW would "certainly" not be out in 2014. (This was a follow-up to a tweet she deleted stating that it would be "almost certainly years" before TWOW came out.)

Not necessarily a more reliable source of information on the subject though.

What a liberal use of >certainly< :lol: certainly this, certainly that... Deleted tweet... Publisher of Robin Hobb as well...

When you delete a man's tweet, you

are not proving it a lie, you're only telling the world that you fear what the tweet might say.*

The plot thic... Something :D

*or in all frankness, avoiding further confusion

Archived