Roy Dotrice, GOT audiobook narrator, says George R. R. Martin has told him he's got another book nearly ready

Mark Antony

My guess is that they asked him if the book is being delayed and he said no, which they took it to mean he is releasing in 2014 (that was the original estimate/goal). Either way, I believe it unless it's a direct quote from GRRM or someone in the system that has direct contact with him. Luckily, I consider Roy Dotrice a reliable source.

The only question is what "nearly ready" actually means...

I started ASoIaF after the first season, and by then ADwD was already published. So I have no idea what the anticipation for book 5 was like.

I read on this thread that ADwD's release date was announced just 4 months in advance. I didn't realize that books were published so fast after the relase dates were announced.

It's been 2.5 yrs since ADwD already. I would love a December 2014 release, but judging from the postponing of the last 2 books, I'm gonna go for a Spring 2015 release.

If season 5 completes the story of book 4 and 5, then we are in big trouble with regards to the show. Because that means that book 6 has to be released no later than Spring 2015. But somehow I think GRRM will manage it. He's got a deadline now due to the show.

Once they announce the release date (probably around the end of 2014), I'm gonna start re-reading books 4 & 5.

Here's wishing to Spring 2015!

There is no indication from Roy Dotrice that 1) GRRM was talking about The Winds of Winter (The Princess and the Queen, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and The World of Ice and Fire could all also qualify as the next ASoIaF-related release, and all of them are now completed and out, or out soon) or 2) he was remembering the information accurately.

So we're definitely looking at a late 2014- mid 2015 release, right?

No. We're only 'definitely' looking at a release in the future, probably more than a year from now (much less than that and it would likely have been announced by now).

There is no indication from Roy Dotrice that 1) GRRM was talking about The Winds of Winter (The Princess and the Queen, A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and The World of Ice and Fire could all also qualify as the next ASoIaF-related release, and all of them are now completed and out, or out soon) or 2) he was remembering the information accurately.

No. We're only 'definitely' looking at a release in the future, probably more than a year from now (much less than that and it would likely have been announced by now).

He was clearly talking about TWOW. The Princess and the Queen audiobook will be voiced by Iain Glen, the World of Ice and Fire isn't the kind of book that gets an audiobook and The Knight of the Seven Kingdoms would not qualify as "almost done" considering it's comprised of the already completed Dunk and Egg book. Aside from that, Dotrice refers to the main series when he spoke about "episodes" and he later said that the new episode is nearly done. To think that it is anything BUT TWOW is a huge stretch at this point.

So I'm thinking:

Optimistic release date- Christmas 2014

Realistic release date- just before, during or after season 5 of the show

Is A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms the next in the D&E series? If so, didn't GRRM reportedly say at Worldcon 2013 that he would be delaying the next D&E until he completed TWOW?

He is clearly talking about tWoW, but the way he says it is exactly the same way that Cunningham said 'halfway'; like he really means 'in the middle of' and is just using a poor choice of words for us fans who pour over every sentence that anyone says about the book. If GRRM told everyone in a circle wide enough to include Dotrice that he was nearly done, we'd have heard it from dozens of other sources.

I was once one of the naive '2014'ers, then when Bakker said he'd finished The Unholy Consult and still doubted it'd be out in 2014, that was a bit of a wake up call to the process of editing and publishing. At the moment, I'd consider it a win if it's ready for the GoT writers to draw on for the season airing 2016, which would mean some time around summer 2015.

Obviously you are in the know more than any of us, but it seems that a Christmas 2014 release is not completely out of the picture is it?

He is clearly talking about tWoW, but the way he says it is exactly the same way that Cunningham said 'halfway'; like he really means 'in the middle of' and is just using a poor choice of words for us fans who pour over every sentence that anyone says about the book. If GRRM told everyone in a circle wide enough to include Dotrice that he was nearly done, we'd have heard it from dozens of other sources.

I was once one of the naive '2014'ers, then when Bakker said he'd finished The Unholy Consult and still doubted it'd be out in 2014, that was a bit of a wake up call to the process of editing and publishing. At the moment, I'd consider it a win if it's ready for the GoT writers to draw on for the season airing 2016, which would mean some time around summer 2015.

I don't know. It doesn't seem the same as "half way". "Almost done" is much more hopeful than that, IMO. Especially considering GRRM was speaking to a very old man when he said that. It's still second hand information and it's still GRRM, who is notorious for constant delays, but other than that I do think that GRRM thought at the time that he was "almost done" which I take as anything between 1 and 2 years (since it's still GRRM and there's no chance that soon means any less than a year).

I'll be more negative and say late 2016 would be more realistic.

I think it will be something between 2014 and 2016. Maybe Fall 2015...

Either way, I just don't want GRRM to be pressured and start writing faster and not as good just because of the show. If this won't happen I don't mind at all when the books will be released, if GRRM doesn't die before.

I think it will be something between 2014 and 2016. Maybe Fall 2015...

Either way, I just don't want GRRM to be pressured and start writing faster and not as good just because of the show. If this won't happen I don't mind at all when the books will be released, if GRRM doesn't die before.

To be honest, history proves that the longer GRRM takes, the less liked the book turns out. ASOS took around two years and is clearly a favorite, while ADWD and AFFC are the general consensus of the lesser books in the series (though I did love ADWD a lot, and liked AFFC enough).

The point is, GRRM can write good stuff fast. All he needs to do is to sit down and write, and if he actually cares about the show catching up (which I don't doubt), then that's likely what he's going to do. Having a deadline might pressure GRRM now, but he had a deadline in the first three books too- a deadline which he met with three fantastic releases. All in all, I think GRRM fell of balance with books 4 & 5 because of the cancellation of the five year gap and having to work around all his previous plans. I think now he might be back on his feet again, with a fantastic, complete book on the way that will come out on time (which IMO is 2015 in the latest).

To be honest, history proves that the longer GRRM takes, the less liked the book turns out. ASOS took around two years and is clearly a favorite, while ADWD and AFFC are the general consensus of the lesser books in the series (though I did love ADWD a lot, and liked AFFC enough).

The point is, GRRM can write good stuff fast. All he needs to do is to sit down and write, and if he actually cares about the show catching up (which I don't doubt), then that's likely what he's going to do. Having a deadline might pressure GRRM now, but he had a deadline in the first three books too- a deadline which he met with three fantastic releases. All in all, I think GRRM fell of balance with books 4 & 5 because of the cancellation of the five year gap and having to work around all his previous plans. I think now he might be back on his feet again, with a fantastic, complete book on the way that will come out on time (which IMO is 2015 in the latest).

The first three books were also supposed to be a planned trilogy. I am sure that somewhere in ASOS he was "crap I have 7000 more pages of ideas with only 1000 pages of print." The story grew on its own.

Archived